Determining (calculating) when the moon is in a certain window of the sky.

Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
I have a telescope that I use to look at the moon. My telescope is on my balcony which has a specific view of the sky in a certain direction. I rarely find myself using it since it is a matter of luck if I have the time, decide to try to use it, and if the moon is actually visible at that specific time. So I am wondering how I would go about creating a moon calendar specifically for me at my location AND with a specific window of the sky. Then it is just a matter of if there are clouds or not but obviously that cannot be known weeks, months, and years into the future so we will leave that out.
If I have coordinates on the face of the earth, a direction, and possibly something else ( for example 64.10, -21.47, south, 10 degrees up?), how do I create a two dimensional window on the sky in a way that I can use to calculate when the moon will be inside that window?

Edit:
For example the blue box on this image: https://ibb.co/SQsRzQf (image gets deleted on Thursday, June 20, 2024).
How do I represent this blue rectangle (it is supposed to be a rectangle) mathematically so I can use it to calculate when the moon enters and leaves it?

Last edited:
You might want to try A.I. I have never used it, but I hear there are several available now. Give it your location and view direction, and ask it when the moon will come into view.

And let us here know what happens.

Latest posts