DO ELECTRONS FLOW ACROSS SPACE FOR THE SUN TO US?

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

michaelmozina

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Here we go again I think the scientific term is called "statistically insignificant".&nbsp; Of course there is magnetic (electro and otherwise) interactions between the sun and the planets, but the effects are statistically insignificant pertaining to the orbits.&nbsp; To insinuate otherwise is ridiculous. <br /> Posted by derekmcd</DIV></p><p>I would have sworn that's what I just said. :) </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> It seems to be a natural consequence of our points of view to assume that the whole of space is filled with electrons and flying electric ions of all kinds. - Kristian Birkeland </div>

D

derekmcd

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I would have sworn that's what I just said. :) <br /> Posted by michaelmozina</DIV></p><p>Well, you claimed it's not "a major factor" which is true.&nbsp; However, you were referring to the "at all" comment which is more realistic than even claiming it a minor factor.&nbsp; Essentially, the magnetic interaction between the Sun and the planets are a non-factor pertaining to orbits.</p><p>I understand what you meant, but I see how UFmbutler interpreted your statement.&nbsp; Let's not let this thread go that direction... </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

S

silylene

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;What,&nbsp; precisely, is "Warp factor two" ? <br />Posted by DrRocket</DIV><br /><br />I know this isn't why you asked your question, and I know this response is&nbsp;completely dorky, and please don't ask my why I still remember this....but anything is better than re-hashing the 'electric universe' argument one more time.</p><p>In the original series,</p><p>Warp factor 2 is&nbsp; 2^3 * c or 8 = 8c</p><p>The original general formula is speed = (wf)^3 * c&nbsp;&nbsp; where wf = warp factor</p><p>However, from about the middle of SNG and afterwards, the formula was changed due to scriptwriters inability to follow Roddenberry's rules to something like this:</p><p>speed = (wf)^(10/3) * c&nbsp; when wf = 1 to 9, and between wf 9-10, the exponent somehow increases to infinity</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font size="1">petet = <font color="#800000"><strong>silylene</strong></font></font></p><p align="center"><font size="1">Please, please give me my handle back !</font></p> </div>

D

DrRocket

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Well, it's just that you seemed to be "annoyed" at the idea of treating them as magnets.&nbsp; They do in fact have a magnetic field around them so I don't see a problem with expecting some sort of "small' magnetic field interaction between them.&nbsp; I wasn't trying to insult you, just point out to you that do posses a magnetic field so it't not irrational to treat them as magnets. <br />Posted by michaelmozina</DIV><br />&nbsp;</p><p>Both the Earth and the Sun emit photons.&nbsp; That is how they can be seen.&nbsp; Nevertheless it is irrational to worry about photon momentum in calculating the near-term orbit of the Earth.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Y

yevaud

True.&nbsp; A mere "drop in the bucket," if even that. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

M

michaelmozina

<p>http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/12/081215121601.htm</p><p>The sun's 11 year cycle seems to have a direct effect on the location of the Earth's&nbsp; ionosphere.&nbsp; At minimum as we are now, the ionosphere seems to move closer to Earth.&nbsp; As the sun becomes more active, it grows in size and moves upward, away from the surface of the Earth. </p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> It seems to be a natural consequence of our points of view to assume that the whole of space is filled with electrons and flying electric ions of all kinds. - Kristian Birkeland </div>

M

michaelmozina

A

acsinnz

The wind speed is around 400 km per second according to www.swpc.noaa.gov/ace/MAG_SWEPAM updates.&nbsp; I take it that these measurements are taken at the "Lagrange point L1" whose position will be the subject of my&nbsp; question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts