DoD and America’s Space Work Force

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sftommy

Brett Lambert, Director of Industrial Policy at DoD, cited some concerns this week in discussing export trade control aspects of the New National Space policy, including a most telling quote;

“…forces policymakers to look for realistic answers to the problems that continue to threaten an eroding industrial base. Those include the loss of critical skills in an ageing workforce, and the departure of second and third tier suppliers due to a lack of stability and policies that hinder their ability to compete globally.”

Is America’s eroding industrial base a national security issue? (it seemed about time for someone to ask)
Where is the next generation of rocket builders?
Does DoD think current space policy is driving second and third tier space suppliers out of business?

V

Valcan

sftommy":386h7gvk said:
Brett Lambert, Director of Industrial Policy at DoD, cited some concerns this week in discussing export trade control aspects of the New National Space policy, including a most telling quote;

“…forces policymakers to look for realistic answers to the problems that continue to threaten an eroding industrial base. Those include the loss of critical skills in an ageing workforce, and the departure of second and third tier suppliers due to a lack of stability and policies that hinder their ability to compete globally.”

Is America’s eroding industrial base a national security issue? (it seemed about time for someone to ask)
Where is the next generation of rocket builders?
Does DoD think current space policy is driving second and third tier space suppliers out of business?

"Is America’s eroding industrial base a national security issue"
Of course.

As to the others? They moved over seas when they found out we werent building our rocket motors and such hear so there really wasnt alot of need for em. :mrgreen:

S

SteveCNC

I'm not that sure there's a real problem yet , I still see young machinests enterring the work force all the time . If I were the youngest there would definately be a problem but I happen to be the oldest person in the shop I work in . And I still have about 12 more years before I retire .

S

sftommy

Obama-Bolden budget does push $$ for education so we'll have a well trained work force in the future.

Beyond technology export protection, certain industries might need tariff protection or DoD will be asking foreign countries to sell us elements of our US Defense, including space hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts