Question Does anyone think we SpaceX (Elon Musk) can land the first people on mars by 2024?

Will it land?

• Yes

Votes: 22 38.6%
  • No

Votes: 27 47.4%
  • It'll maybe land, i dont know.

Votes: 9 15.8%

• Total voters

Thomas Likes Space

This is Thomas
Mar 14, 2021
Visit site
The SpaceX Team wants the first humans to land by 2024. That's only 3 years of tech further! We could do it if we start right now maybe. I am not that tech legend that knows when you do things and not.

SpaceX Website is where you find info. As i said in the title, SpaceX is owned by Elon Musk, the owner of Tesla.

Do you think it'll arrive as they think it's going?

Jan 20, 2021
Visit site
Nasa has not yet awarded the contract to build a new lunar landing module.
The first apollo lem took about seven years to develop.

We will be lucky to return to the moon by 2027.
Going to mars is much harder than going back to the moon.

It might take another 20 years to get to mars.

It seems to me that the starship may replace the space shuttle and be going for hauling large amounts of equipment to LEO.

A mars rocket could be be constructed weighing possibly thousands of tons.
The perseverance rover weights 2200 pounds but required a one million pound rocket to get it to the surface of mars.

A manned mars lander would like weigh 100 times as much and require an immense initial launch weight to get from earth.

I also do not understand how it could be possible to use methane/lox as fuel for a mission lasting at least two years.

The possibility of refueling on mars seems speculative at best and perhaps impossible within a reasonable time frame.

Thomas Likes Space

This is Thomas
Mar 14, 2021
Visit site
@space1946, i agree, Elon Musk might be really smart, but can't know the future tech. Tech could be totally the same in 2024, but also different. Expectations are not real, they are if you have the luck of 0.01%. So that % is going to get us lucky, nah Elon.

The more I think about Mr. Musk's ambitious proposal, I suspect that it's really a stock price and funding methodology. This is not the first time, nor will it be the last, that a Corporate CEO /owner has promised a future product(s) akin to "the Moon with a Fence around it" and delivered "a dirt satellite with a dust ring". Appearing to be the first capable innovator in a significant endeavor has marked attraction for both well heeled investors and governments. ....... Anyone routinely play the lottery?

Reactions: Catastrophe
Apr 19, 2020
Visit site
The SpaceX Team wants the first humans to land by 2024. That's only 3 years of tech further! We could do it if we start right now maybe. I am not that tech legend that knows when you do things and not.

SpaceX Website is where you find info. As i said in the title, SpaceX is owned by Elon Musk, the owner of Tesla.

Do you think it'll arrive as they think it's going?
Every time someone expresses some sort of doubt about Elon's capabilities it's like a "hold my beer" challenge to him. He WILL get people on MARS, alive and well. And if there is a tragedy then we chalk it up to the cost of human exploration.

Jul 25, 2020
Visit site
Good for E.M! He just may do it. The naysays on this list sound a lot like jealous Beevus'. At least he is trying. He has a Lady Love now and that will get in the way, however, he just may do it. WHY DO YOU ALL HATE HIM?

I don't want to vote because I'm really confused by the question. I want to say that in my opinion Elon Musk is too ambitious and we will land on Mars only in a far future like the 2100.
The possibility of refueling on mars seems speculative at best and perhaps impossible within a reasonable time frame.
As far as I know, they don't want to return home. They will just put on Mars the settlement for the future colonists and manage to survive. I personally don't know how they will survive, but I heard the news in this way...

Reactions: Elocineax
Anything is possible, however a survivable landing is highly unlikely. In addition to a good landing, morality dictates having the ability to build an infrastructure to house the Astronauts after the landing. And then there is the task of returning the people home. A successful human landing on Mar's could be accomplished but I don't believe a suicide mission would be favorably accepted by most of us.

Mar 1, 2021
Visit site
It's seems hubris worthy of a drunken sailor in a dank, dreary, dockside bar. Why not take the time more than needed to make such an effort a success and ensure that the crew survives.
That's the thing, I think. I'm not saying he's out to harm anyone, but, I think (read: opinion), he's more concerned whether or not he can do it, where, the souls involved will be likened to collateral damage for the common good & advancement of humankind.
And, I have a strong suspicion those people will be forced to sign a contract saying as much, leaving him unaccountable.

Mar 7, 2021
Visit site
Seria ideal lo más pronto posible, ir a Marte. Pero me uno a la idea que es mejor despacio. Recordemos la era de los transportadores, de pronto por un afán es posible las tragedias. Preferiría ir despacio, pero seguros. Exitos a la NASA en esta conquista al planeta rojo.

Please post in English:

It would be ideal as soon as possible, to go to Mars. But I join the idea that slow is better. Let's remember the era of transporters, suddenly tragedies are possible due to a desire. I'd rather go slow, but safe. Successes to NASA in this conquest of the red planet.

Thomas Likes Space

This is Thomas
Mar 14, 2021
Visit site
Anything is possible, however a survivable landing is highly unlikely. In addition to a good landing, morality dictates having the ability to build an infrastructure to house the Astronauts after the landing. And then there is the task of returning the people home. A successful human landing on Mar's could be accomplished but I don't believe a suicide mission would be favorably accepted by most of us.

Anything is possible, this is the most encouraging reply, with also an actual reply inside. I am not trying to discourage with this reply, Please tell me if You are, via messages.
I Will reset or try to reset your encouragement level.

Mar 17, 2021
Visit site
I do not think we will make it to Mars by 2024. To get to Mars and to explore the outer planets and moons we need to establish a permanent base on the Moon. From there, if we have the will, the solar system is ours to explore and exploit as we like. In the end it's all about energy, be it in the form of rocket fuel or something else. Hopefully, we can extract water from the Moon and break it down into Oxygen and Hydrogen. That's as good as "go juice" as any.

Reactions: Clovis

Latest posts