Does Time Actually Exist?

Page 14 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

marcel_leonard

ArcCentral":15onau23 said:
Time exist by not existing. It is the space between that which does exist, I.E. the events that shape our present. A sort of disconnected quantitative measure of nothing at all.

Could you illustrate, modify, or simplify your point a wee bit; because I want to be clear about what your talking about.... ;)

A

ArcCentral

marcel_leonard":1u6qbcub said:
ArcCentral":1u6qbcub said:
Time exist by not existing. It is the space between that which does exist, I.E. the events that shape our present. A sort of disconnected quantitative measure of nothing at all.

Could you illustrate, modify, or simplify your point a wee bit; because I want to be clear about what your talking about.... ;)
You might look at the panoply as a series of ones and zeros, one being a quantitative, and zero as qualitative, that which exist and that which does not, a necessary contradiction by which any one can be differentiated from any other one, or for that matter, any zero from any other zero.

Lets take a standard wall clock with a second hand as an example of a measure of time. The second hand goes round and round, and as it does so, it crosses markers. In the case of the clock, there would be 60 markers, and as the second hand crosses these markers, it constitutes an interaction ( a quantitative reality), buttressed up against the qualitative nothing (non-event) that takes place between these interactions.

Time is a sort of place where nothing happens, in a place where something does.

In our universe, there are only ones, one at a time, where time is the nothing ones are composed of.

M

marcel_leonard

ArcCentral":37854zxr said:
marcel_leonard":37854zxr said:
ArcCentral":37854zxr said:

You might look at the panoply as a series of ones and zeros, one being a quantitative, and zero as qualitative, that which exist and that which does not, a necessary contradiction by which any one can be differentiated from any other one, or for that matter, any zero from any other zero.

Lets take a standard wall clock with a second hand as an example of a measure of time. The second hand goes round and round, and as it does so, it crosses markers. In the case of the clock, there would be 60 markers, and as the second hand crosses these markers, it constitutes an interaction ( a quantitative reality), buttressed up against the qualitative nothing (non-event) that takes place between these interactions.

Time is a sort of place where nothing happens, in a place where something does.

In our universe, there are only ones, one at a time, where time is the nothing ones are composed of.

We measure space/time using meter/seconds yet something strange happens at the quantum levels where objects to leap from point A to point B having taken literally no time to travel the distance from A to B; which makes me think that the fabric we call space/time is nothing but an illusion....

A

ArcCentral

MeteorWayne":37qfawxs said:
Ranch Dressing, please.

MeteorWayne says - I'm bored!
To which ArcCentral replies - That's because you're a boring person. Over 17,000 post says a lot, or does it? I think they call it spreading yourself thin.

M

MeteorWayne

Not bored at all, just bored reading paragraphs of meaningless words strung together.

EDIT: BTW, the words themselves are not boring, the meaningless stringing together is.

A

ArcCentral

MeteorWayne":y72c7f7e said:
Not bored at all, just bored reading paragraphs of meaningless words strung together.

EDIT: BTW, the words themselves are not boring, the meaningless stringing together is.

As a moderator - You should know better.
I suspect an apology will be forthcoming.
Seriously
Lest we waste more time dealing with a subject matter not germane to this thread.

M

MeteorWayne

My comment was as a user, not as a moderator. To me it was word salad.

A

ArcCentral

MeteorWayne":1695b3zz said:
Well maybe you the moderator can tell you the user to stay on topic, and not waste other users time.
Good day

A

agaia

It is a matter of perspective. The real question should be,
"Does man really exist within time?" Time is after all movement,
motion of planets not the passing of a clock in an artificial way.
You may find the Mayan cosmonauts of much interest.

M

marcel_leonard

ArcCentral":1cfvvkoq said:
MeteorWayne":1cfvvkoq said:
Well maybe you the moderator can tell you the user to stay on topic, and not waste other users time.
Good day

Does he always talk about himself in the third person like Tyler Perry talks about Madea???

M

MeteorWayne

ArcCentral":2qk1qluf said:
MeteorWayne":2qk1qluf said:
Good day

Actually, since word salad is a waste of time, it's quite on topic :lol:

M

marsandro

:idea:
Let's begin with everybody's favorite Khazarian dude, Einstein. "Time is what a clock says." Okay.
Two things: (1) define "clock" and (2) how do you know what it says.... (Or to employ the modern
political slant, "What did it say, and when did it say it"....)
:lol:

The fundamental problem with all things "relativistic" is that relativity theory allows for the observation
of "clocks at a distance." This introduces "behavior of the medium" into the observed "behavior of the
clock at a distance." Hence, you are not even observing the (moving) clock at a distance at all. But,
just try invoking this argument at your local university...they'll go ballistic....

I say a clock is DEFINED to be NOT VISIBLE unless (1) it is *at your location* AND (2) *moving with you.*

This concept alone tosses the bulk of "relativistic thinking" right out the window. (Oops....)

But then, so do the writings of Leo Van Dromme on so-called "causality violations".... (Oops....)

As for gravitational effects (as per GR), this goes back to what mass is---and for that, you need to know
the Bergman particle theory, and how interacting dA gets into it (for which you must know how dA comes
to be involved in the first place---not to mention how particles arise from the quantum substrate, and
what the quantum substrate even is in the first place---and how real and virtual particles relate via the
spin characteristic, which is not a scalar, but a *phasor*; there's just too much to explain here).

A great many so-called "relativistic effects" are no such thing, but have unrecognized causes, made so by
the fact that The Standard Model is a patchwork of misfit ideas (to make a long story short). (You know it's
funny how it is that the universities will tell you this, but if you dare say it back to them, you'll draw a stern
look.)

As for "time," I'd say it's "back to the drawing board!" (I could say much more, but I'm holding back for
publication, if nothing else.)

Time "exists" alright, but we need a FAR better definition than the one we are using.

P.S.: When applying Occam's Razor, be careful not to cut your own throat.
:D

A

Antwerpo

Maybe i'm getting old but time is not what a clock says. I can't imagine that before the clock was invented people didn't had the slightest idea of time. Time is more like a reoccurrence of an event. Like the sun coming up every day or snow falling every year. I actually think the question raised is kind of stupid as time exists when there is a witness to those events. As humans are not the only ones that have a perception of time and common knowledge says that life must be scattered all over the universe, that must mean all over the universe there are witnesses of time. So time is everywhere where you can witness the reoccurrence of an event.

Asking if time exists is the same as asking "do we exist". Our existence creates time.

M

marsandro

Good point Antwerpo!
:mrgreen:

I'm green with envy!
:lol:

One wonders what people thought time was *before* Einstein!

I *know* they wonder what it is *now*!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Q

quantumnumber

In my opinion, time is change. If change didn't occur, then I don't think time would exist.

M

marcel_leonard

quantumnumber":2sj4gfb9 said:
In my opinion, time is change. If change didn't occur, then I don't think time would exist.

So what you're saying is that Time is the Second Law of Thermal Dynamics???

A

ArcCentral

quantumnumber":s3uppfxn said:
I'd say that time would still exist, but there would not be such a thing as tic and tock. Big difference.

M

marcel_leonard

ArcCentral":2q7vh64h said:
quantumnumber":2q7vh64h said:
I'd say that time would still exist, but there would not be such a thing as tic and tock. Big difference.

"The last time I checked God was the boss...........so he doesn't have to punch a time clock......

A

Antwerpo

marcel_leonard":14ridp93 said:
ArcCentral":14ridp93 said:
quantumnumber":14ridp93 said:

"The last time I checked God was the boss...........so he doesn't have to punch a time clock......
The last time I checked humans could do the same thing as God did and we punch time clocks, so if this universe was created by God i'm sure he had to punch a clock before he could go to work and create our universe.

M

marcel_leonard

Antwerpo":rabamit6 said:
The last time I checked humans could do the same thing as God did and we punch time clocks, so if this universe was created by God i'm sure he had to punch a clock before he could go to work and create our universe.

If you think what you say is the truth.......then prove me wrong by jumping off of the top of the Empire State Bldg. then bring yourself back to life!!!

Just like I thought a God who created the fabric of space/time wouldn't use it as a security blanket... :cool:

A

Antwerpo

marcel_leonard":20r4wo3q said:
Antwerpo":20r4wo3q said:

If you think what you say is the truth.......then prove me wrong by jumping off of the top of the Empire State Bldg. then bring yourself back to life!!!

Just like I thought a God who created the fabric of space/time wouldn't use it as a security blanket... :cool:

I accept your challenge! So you will trace God and make him jump from the empire state building, if he survives I jump as well.

Q

quantumnumber

marcel_leonard":3ounvf2c said:
quantumnumber":3ounvf2c said:

So what you're saying is that Time is the Second Law of Thermal Dynamics???

No, time is not the Second Law of Thermodynamics. haha, perhaps I should watch my wording. For humans, I believe that time is the measurement of change or an occurrence, how fast or slow something happens or changes. Time is not change itself. On the other hand, What about a photon? Time wouldn't exist for the photon because it travels at the speed of light, right? (just so everyone knows, I am somewhat new to physics and always wanting to learn more!)

Q

quantumnumber

marcel_leonard":1pcm1c1b said:
ArcCentral":1pcm1c1b said:
quantumnumber":1pcm1c1b said:

I don't believe in God, but that argument can always be saved for another thread ;)

B

bdewoody

Why is this thread in SETI ? Unless we are debating whether God is an ET. What does a question about the existance of time have to do with the search for ET ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts