Dual Suns

Could Life Exist on Earth if there were orbiting suns at the center of the solar system?

• Yes

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Apr 9, 2021
What if the Earth's star was two stars? Like, the kind that orbits each other. If there were that in the middle of the solar system, what would conditions on Earth be like? Would life as we know it be able to exist?

Wolfshadw

Apr 1, 2020
I think it would depend on the type of stars. If you're thinking what if two of our sized stars orbited each other at the center of our solar system, then I would think that the "Goldilocks Zone" that makes conditions for life as we know it possible, would be pushed further out. If Earth's orbit were pushed out as well, then I think it's a good possibility that life as we know it (assuming nothing else changed) would still exist.

-Wolf sends

rod

Oct 22, 2019
FYI. This exoplanet site shows the number of host stars reported in the system, https://exoplanetarchive.ipac.caltech.edu/index.html

Currently 4383 exoplanets are reported. 439 are reported with 2-4 host stars, multiple star systems, 384 are in binary systems. 55 Cnc is a good place to start as a binary system reporting 5 exoplanets orbiting there. However, stars with the largest number of exoplanets orbiting like 7 or 8 are single host star systems reported. Example, TRAPPIST-1, KOI-351, Kepler-90 i. The total number of binary star systems reported in the exoplanet site is 288 that have exoplanets.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts