Dec 28, 2022
Visit site
Have you considered contacting a local university/college in your area? What sort of contact (desired end result) are you seeking?
Of course. This IS my area. Considering that ES profs in the More Provincial regions of the university system pull in about $90/year, I am gauging that as my Minimum Basic Agreement for such the necessitated role. I have contacted many universities/colleges as well as boutique "human resources search businesses" along the way. Thanks for asking. Now a question for you: what does COL signify in relation to Geek in your handle?

I am interested in taking space.com and monster.com to the next level--the latter a movie-monster-buffs' web menagerie!!

Dec 28, 2022
Visit site
A little level in our world, actually. I find it laughable--in the forty-second street Broadway sense, that you identify here on space.com as as a "US Government worker". Is this "E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial" again?

From what I read I would think that a person with earth science credentials and teaching credentials, should be in high demand just about anywhere in this country. Or Europe and others.

Am I wrong? This is the big thing now. A new green industry.

And if I am, have you thought about consulting? Both private and public interest want efficient earth science fundamentals in their structures and energy, consumption, waste policies. You might prefer a direct effect and participation, and save teaching for retirement. One can pick and choose with consulting. Maybe one might specialize in a particular aspect of ES.

Of course, that might be why you're looking to teach.

Dec 28, 2022
Visit site
I have no idea what you are asking for. The only monsters at monster.com are those who are hiring and those applying there.

I would imagine they are not interested in changing to account for your preferred audience/content.
Yes I would, too--but I have no idea Who's Who there in management. Is it ABC Corp?

Dec 28, 2022
Visit site
From what I read I would think that a person with earth science credentials and teaching credentials, should be in high demand just about anywhere in this country. Or Europe and others.

Am I wrong? This is the big thing now. A new green industry.

And if I am, have you thought about consulting? Both private and public interest want efficient earth science fundamentals in their structures and energy, consumption, waste policies. You might prefer a direct effect and participation, and save teaching for retirement. One can pick and choose with consulting. Maybe one might specialize in a particular aspect of ES.

Of course, that might be why you're looking to teach.

I have listed myself as a consultant in my short bio on recently submitted written works. But I think we live in a "web economy" more than a green one. I have no representation for any credentialled biz--and I live in the USA!

Aug 16, 2024
Visit site
Have you considered contacting a local university/college in your area? What sort of contact (desired end result) are you seeking?
I have tried to contact a scientific journal or a planetary scientist to publish or discuss an important scientific theory and have not received a response. Tell me what I should do. ColGeek

In academia, there is a torrent of papers coming in from outside. They don't use correct scientific language, they don't know the basics, their proposals are untenable, basically make no sense at all. This is very similar to many posts on science websites. The problem with looking at them is there is no way to dispute it since the lay author and the scientist use two different languages. Unless you can speak proper "science", no scientist will pay attention.

In order to advance science, you must speak proper terms, you must fully understand what science already knows about the topic, you must show exactly how your new piece fits the edge of the jigsaw puzzle and it must not contradict anything that has already been proven. Also, in order to make the big time, your proposal must predict some "new thing". If you can hold their attention long enough to demonstrate something they didn't know, they will publish immediately in order to establish precedence and your name will appear as a co-author.

It is possible for a lay person to obtain scientific credit. Many advances in the biologies have occurred by citing data collected over many years by laypeople who documented properly such that the data was of scientific quality. If you do good work, and keep it close to your vest until a scientist can verify it, you will be rewarded. If you go public in order to get around the inconvenient peer review process, you will fail to get their attention.

I have cracked "the wall" on several occasions. Once when I found an unusual snail in the drainage pond by my house. I documented it, reported it to Fish and Game. About a year later, a PhD biologist from UGA called me and congratulated me on providing the first documented example of the invasive Channeled Apple Snail (pomacea), in Georgia. Should the person ever publish a paper citing this fact, I would get a mention.

In 1961, when I was 8 years old, I made a microscope and won first prize in my school's science fair. This is not listable on a scientific CV as Sydney V Rowland Elementary school (RIP) was not considered a scientific institution. However, when it went to the Franklin Institute and got an honorable mention, it became listable, as the Franklin Institute is considered a scientific institution. This would be on my scientific CV, if I ever made one. I can call myself a scientist because I hold a BS degree.

BS degree = a grounding in the topic, allows use of the term "scientist". There are other ways but this is the easiest.
MS degree = mastery of the topic
PhD = contributed new knowledge to the topic

Last edited:
Reactions: Helio and COLGeek
I have a particular interest in mercury and its dangers. Once, about ten years ago, I read the latest paper on how it crosses the blood/brain barrier. A few days later, I was on vacation, sitting at dinner next to a PhD toxicologist and I mentioned the lastest finding in a discussion. He looked at me real weird, "Where did you get that?" and I told him and he was shaken he didn't already know it. I had upset his world view that a lay person would know more than he did.

I have a particular interest in mercury and its dangers.
Yes. I recall in the 1960s that my folks almost bought a mercury vapor detector for the house.

Once, about ten years ago, I read the latest paper on how it crosses the blood/brain barrier. A few days later, I was on vacation, sitting at dinner next to a PhD toxicologist and I mentioned the lastest finding in a discussion. He looked at me real weird, "Where did you get that?" and I told him and he was shaken he didn't already know it. I had upset his world view that a lay person would know more than he did.
We all have a little hubris, I suppose. I once offended a dermatologist when I questioned his offer to give me a small vile of coal tar to relieve my eczema. I told him that coal tar is a ring-chain polyaromatic hydrocarbon that is also carcinogenic. He was upset I questioned his unusually kind offer, in his mind I think, and gave me a short lecture on his academic background. I wasn't impressed and never returned.

Reactions: billslugg
In academia, there is a torrent of papers coming in from outside. They don't use correct scientific language, they don't know the basics, their proposals are untenable, basically make no sense at all. This is very similar to many posts on science websites. The problem with looking at them is there is no way to dispute it since the lay author and the scientist use two different languages. Unless you can speak proper "science", no scientist will pay attention.
Yep. No doubt a food metaphor would make this more obvious. There are so many food metaphors that I could use here but it's like going into a candy store and having to decide which one to get. [See, I used a simile instead, I think. ;)]

If you can hold their attention long enough to demonstrate something they didn't know, they will publish immediately in order to establish precedence and your name will appear as a co-author.
Yes, that's nicely put. Some substantive work may not be something entirely new but presenting work the clarifies a topic. For instance, two astronomers wrote a paper that explained how Lemaitre's English translation of his 1927 paper (foundation of BBT) left out, for instance, his calculation of the world's first expansion rate.

Reactions: billslugg
The scientist label is similar to "fine artist". They are particular about the requirement to use that term in the gallery system. You must have an MFA, Master of Fine Arts. You and I are "folk artists". My sister is a very good painter but has only science related degrees. She lived in a big city, entered her painting into the art world's yearly contest and won. They only pick one per year. She can now take her paintings to a gallery in that particular city and they would consider showing it. No so with you and I. BTW - it doesn't matter how good you are, unless you qualify for one of the "ins" they'll turn their nose up.

Reactions: Helio
The scientist label is similar to "fine artist". They are particular about the requirement to use that term in the gallery system. You must have an MFA, Master of Fine Arts. You and I are "folk artists". My sister is a very good painter but has only science related degrees. She lived in a big city, entered her painting into the art world's yearly contest and won. They only pick one per year. She can now take her paintings to a gallery in that particular city and they would consider showing it. No so with you and I.
That's not unreasonable since there are only so many hours in a day but millions of various art works done daily. Before coming here, I actually just completed a few more art drawings done for my grandkids.

[The kids love the Wikki Stixs provided at the Dream Cafe in Grand Junction. They are great since they keep the kids busy while awaiting breakfast. The problem is that they hand the sticks to me and point to the sketch drawn by Wikki Stixs, but the drawings aren't close to scale. Thus, a lot of time is wasted trying to adjust for the scaling. So, once my masterpiece is complete, I am going to print a version that is to scale. :) I probably won't present this for any MFA status, though practical art should be its own category. ;)]

The "one-per-year" rule seems almost ironic given the subjective nature of art. If two artists produce remarkably great work, why not allow both?

The allowance of one "outsider" into the art world per year is done to "throw a bone" to the masses. Otherwise the galleries must deal with folk artists pounding on their door all day long.

Having really good quality is good for winning contests, good for making money, but quality alone will never get you in. It would completely devalue the MFA degree. My sister did "realism" and was pretty good at it. I have a couple of her real early works, not as good as her latest. She was a trooper, Degree in Spanish, Degree in Geology, worked as a uranium miner, took the gamma measurements on the working face of a uranium mine in Casper, WY, told them which direction to dig, got degree in Architecture, worked as architect for many years, now retired and an artist. My accomplishments are not quite in her league.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2024
Visit site

In order to advance science, you must speak proper terms, you must fully understand what science already knows about the topic, you must show exactly how your new piece fits the edge of the jigsaw puzzle and it must not contradict anything that has already been proven. Also, in order to make the big time, your proposal must predict some "new thing". If you can hold their attention long enough to demonstrate something they didn't know, they will publish immediately in order to establish precedence and your name will appear as a co-author.

It is possible for a lay person to obtain scientific credit. Many advances in the biologies have occurred by citing data collected over many years by laypeople who documented properly such that the data was of scientific quality. If you do good work, and keep it close to your vest until a scientist can verify it, you will be rewarded. If you go public in order to get around the inconvenient peer review process, you will fail to get their attention.

I have cracked "the wall" on several occasions. Once when I found an unusual snail in the drainage pond by my house. I documented it, reported it to Fish and Game. About a year later, a PhD biologist from UGA called me and congratulated me on providing the first documented example of the invasive Channeled Apple Snail (pomacea), in Georgia. Should the person ever publish a paper citing this fact, I would get a mention.

In 1961, when I was 8 years old, I made a microscope and won first prize in my school's science fair. This is not listable on a scientific CV as Sydney V Rowland Elementary school (RIP) was not considered a scientific institution. However, when it went to the Franklin Institute and got an honorable mention, it became listable, as the Franklin Institute is considered a scientific institution. This would be on my scientific CV, if I ever made one. I can call myself a scientist because I hold a BS degree.

BS degree = a grounding in the topic, allows use of the term "scientist". There are other ways but this is the easiest.
MS degree = mastery of the topic
PhD = contributed new knowledge to the topic
Re your first 2 paragraphs, do you consider this paper fits your case?

Composition, Structure and Origin of the Moon.
Paolo A. Sossia, Miki Nakajimab, Amir Khan

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2408.16840

The above is the link to the full 62 page pdf

From page 52

"From a chemical and isotopic perspective, there is no unambiguous evidence for the contribution of an impactor to the Moon. This implies that either i) the material that made the Earth and Moon mixed perfectly during an impact event, before the Moon preferentially sampled a silicate-rich part of the disk or ii) there was no impact at all. Whether these options remain plausible depends upon our ability to resolve the bulk composition of the Moon from its geophysical response and geochemical record. Should the Moon have exactly the same composition as the Earth’s mantle with respect to major element abundances, then its origin could be reconciled with a ‘devolatilised’ fragment of the Earth’s mantle, after core-formation, but before the accretion of the late veneer.

In the absence of a more plausible physical scenario, the giant impact is currently the worst model we have for the origin of the Moon, aside from all the others that have been tried from time to time."

Last edited:
If this is new information, it will soon take over as the consensus opinion. I have already stated there are some isotopic oddities need to be dealt with. Note the main objection is a moon cannot be the same composition as the planet it came from. I disagree, I have a different opinion. You can have yours.

Latest posts