EM plating new tech for protecting space craft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

halman

The article you cite is regarding using an electromagnetic field to repulse incoming rounds, which is done by a momentary pulse of energy. Radiation shielding requires continuous operation of a field, and way of discharging, or deflecting, the energy of the radiation. Although there are similarities between a radiation shield and a repulsive field, they are not the same.

V

Valcan

halman":rfihy6am said:
The article you cite is regarding using an electromagnetic field to repulse incoming rounds, which is done by a momentary pulse of energy. Radiation shielding requires continuous operation of a field, and way of discharging, or deflecting, the energy of the radiation. Although there are similarities between a radiation shield and a repulsive field, they are not the same.

I get that but couldnt there be a way of Charging the hull of a spacecraft to stop radiation?

I know they are already working on EM shields but i was wondering if this would be less energy intensive.

A

a_lost_packet_

An electromagnetic field can divert some forms of radiation. But, if that radiation isn't charged, it's not susceptible to being manipulated by the field. Something like gamma radiation will go right through it without being effected at all.

E

EarthlingX

Here's a bit older thread, where i got lost, but it has a lots of links related to electro-magnetic radiation shielding. Perhaps some more could be dug out.

Cloaking tech for cosmic radiation protection ?
I have a feeling we will hear more about this.

There was a couple more things here, if i remember correctly, perhaps an ESA concept ?

S

StarRider1701

EarthlingX":3d19loa3 said:
Here's a bit older thread, where i got lost, but it has a lots of links related to electro-magnetic radiation shielding. Perhaps some more could be dug out.

There was a couple more things here, if i remember correctly, perhaps an ESA concept ?

Cool! "Polarize the hull plating," Captain Archer ordered.

Just more SciFi and Star Trek Tech coming true. I love it!

B

BenS1985

Interesting idea.

I thought along a similar line of thinking when I saw the article about the force fields for military craft - my thought, though, was if such a system would be attractive for anti-debris at high speeds (e.g. VASMIR) or for use as a vehicle to push away dangerous asteroids (e.g. lining a vehicle with many charged ultra-capacitors, and activating it close to an asteroid, therefore pushing it away in the same way that an RPG round or ammo would be, but at a much faster velocity, allowing for better results).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts