Equation to Find intelligent life

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Oct 21, 2019
the 40 billion is based off research I found from 2013 saying there is 40 billion earth like planets in our solar system, the 1 out of a thousand is purely an estimate.
Err, since the demotion of Pluto there are now only 8 planets in total in our solar system, and currently only one earth like planet (the Earth!), although Venus and Mars may have been earth like for a period of time earlier in the solar system's history.....

Nov 2, 2020
Meaning there are (more or less) 23 intelligent species in the universe, and due to how many of those that could be advanced enough to use or understand space travel, is possibly 1 out of 23, maybe 2 or 3 out of 23, and the reason why we haven't discovered them yet.
I'm not such an expert but if that is true, this means that we are expecial in the Universe. Anyways the Universe is big, really big, for this reason 23 sounds stange in my opinion...
Great job though, I've never thought about it, and I'm not able to do equations like this, for this reason, great!

Reactions: Catastrophe
Jun 1, 2020
It’s all about the objective evidence. Each variable requires its own set of dots to connect, making it even more challenging. If any one variable = 0, you get toasted, and not in celebration. 😀

But we should keep a mindset that these are likely to be taken in degree, not kind. Just 3 decades ago we had 0 exoplanets, but we are well on our way to 10k in a few years.

We can only evaluate the present as we find it. As you rightly point out, the future will provide new evidence for evaluation, one way or another. And another future will follow . . . . . . . . .

Cat :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Helio
“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

Very true (imho) but did he have anything to say about the equation, other than P = 0 or 1?
`

Jun 1, 2020
“There might be creatures in the universe to whom a thousand-year voyage would present nothing more than slight boredom… ‘[And a]re we certain that the speed of light is an unbreakable barrier?’ … even if [it] could not be defied, [it] might be evaded.“ Clarke, 2001: A Space Odyssey

Helio, "There is nothing new under the Sun", or perhaps we should add "or on the other side of it"?

You are, of course, quite correct as usual. Sigh ;) Even on Earth we have life which lasts only mnutes or hours, and life which lasts a thousand years. And we can slow down light by passing it through different media. Perhaps we can compress space so we can still keep under c, but travel more quickly through the intervening 'distance'. Use the constant c simply by compressing space as c seems to be constant under all conditions. I admit that I do not expect to be doing this any time soon.

ASK THE COMMUNITY