ESA to brief press on 2025 space vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

flynn

<i>From ESAPortal</i><br /><br />Cosmic Vision 2015-2025 media briefing - 19 April 2005<br /><br /> <br />8 April 2005<br />PR 18-2005 April 2005 is important in two ways for ESA science. It marks a significant anniversary for Europe’s role in space science but it is also a point of departure for the next 15-20 years of exploring the universe from space.<br /> <br />The anniversary in question is the 15th anniversary of the launch of the Hubble Space Telescope, NASA and ESA’s joint initiation of a new generation of space astronomy. But new vistas continue to open up. Even more breathtaking than the past achievements of Hubble are the prospects offered by the ideas put up by the European science community for the next 15-20 years. These form ESA’s Cosmic Vision plan. <br /><br />On 19 April over 150 scientists from all ESA member states will convene at the European Space Research and Technology Centre in Noordwijk, the Netherlands, for a three-day symposium entitled "Trends in Space Science and Cosmic Vision 2015-2025". The conference will include a number of invited talks giving an overview of the scientific themes that will form the basis of future ESA missions. <br /> <br />Topics to be addressed now will keep space scientists busy over the next 15-20 years. Amongst them are: the nature of planets beyond our solar system; a possible mission to Jupiter and its moon Europa, or perhaps back to Titan; spotting the first black holes; an interstellar probe powered by a solar sail; and many others. Open questions include the priority ESA should give to near-Earth objects and the threat they pose, or whether and when we should return to a comet after Rosetta. <br /><br />Members of the media are invited to a press conference at 10.00 CET on 19 April, at ESA's Visitor Centre (Space Expo) in Noordwijk, the Netherlands. The press briefing will provide an overview of the current ideas for new missions, the expected results and their implications for the advancement of science and human kn <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#800080">"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring" - <strong>Chuck Palahniuk</strong>.</font> </div>

J

JonClarke

ESA works on 5 year budget cycles. The 2005-2010 cycle is in place (major projects include Bepe-Columbo, Venus Express, and a number of astronomy missions), the 2010-2015 cycle has some the major elements planned out and funding commenced (e.g. ExoMars, MSR). The 2015 + period is the one where major decisions need to me made about very large and complex robotic missions, and whether or not to invest in crewed exploration. Discussing options for that time frame is entirely appropriate<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

J

JonClarke

I would see it the other way, it is a very rational approach. Planning muti-year projects (which space missions are) without multi year funding seems to be a very dodgy way to go. That is why NASA has to go cap in hand every year, and why every year there is great angst in NASA and its supporters as to which missions might be cut.<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

J

JonClarke

No system is perfect, but five year cycles do remove a lot of the angst out of the funding process, and also a lot of ongoing politics, allowing the project teams to get on with the job. It is my understanding that while funding is committed on five year cycles, if circumstances change projects can be cancelled within a cycle. The lander was dropped from Bepi Columbo, for example. Also, when involved in long term, billion dollar science, enviromental monitoring or even commerical programs the circumstances are not going to change that rapidly. The planets are not going to go away. <br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

F

flynn

I think Europe gets quite a lot of "bang" for its buck (or Euro)<br /><br />There has been a few mishaps (Beagle) Maiden Ariane V launch. I've always felt that ESA has a nicely balanced science program and if that is a result of the 5 year cycle funding then great.<br /><br />This reminds me MARSIS is scheduled to deploy in a couple of weeks, can't wait to see the results that baby delivers. Ground penetrating Radar on Mars, that'll really get the conspiracy nuts going. <br /><br />More can be found on the future of ESA here.<br /><br />http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEMC5XS1VED_index_0.html <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#800080">"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring" - <strong>Chuck Palahniuk</strong>.</font> </div>

J

JonClarke

ESA and its members have an extremely high success rate for space probes over the years. Helios 1 & 2, Giotto, Mars Express, Smart-1, Ulysses, Cluster, and Huygens. Beagle 2 was the only dud. And this is not including missions in which they were a major partner - SOHO, Cassini, for example. I think this is very impressive given the until now small budget and bodes well for the future.<br /><br />I had forgotten that MARSIS will be deployed soon. That will be very interesting, even if it does not penetrate very far.<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts