Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bdewoody

I just recently started watching this series after it moved to Friday night expecting to see BSG. Actually I have grown very interested in this show so I watched most of the marithon on Saturday. Even though it has some weird science (guess thats why it's on SY FY uggg) I find it very entertaining. It's nice to see someone relatively smart like Carter who has a hard time grasping the science.

P.S. if you have never watched it rent the pilot movie first.

S

Shpaget

Not that horrific, but that acting could be better.
Science parts are also sometimes a bit... enthusiastic.
It reeks of "cheap".

I like the intro, though.

C

crazyeddie

bdewoody":3hd0topi said:
I just recently started watching this series after it moved to Friday night expecting to see BSG. Actually I have grown very interested in this show so I watched most of the marithon on Saturday. Even though it has some weird science (guess thats why it's on SY FY uggg) I find it very entertaining. It's nice to see someone relatively smart like Carter who has a hard time grasping the science.

I tried very hard to like Eureka, and I gave it a chance, but I finally gave up on it. There are too many annoying things about the premise, the plots are frequently silly, and the science developed in this imaginary town is too advanced to be believable for the present day.

A

AlnitakAlnilamMintaka

crazyeddie":qrfa9qt1 said:
and the science developed in this imaginary town is too advanced to be believable for the present day.

Does SciFi ring a bell? :roll:

B

bdewoody

AlnitakAlnilamMintaka":1rhwnzgv said:
crazyeddie":1rhwnzgv said:
and the science developed in this imaginary town is too advanced to be believable for the present day.

You stole my reply.

C

crazyeddie

AlnitakAlnilamMintaka":18jjbwn2 said:
crazyeddie":18jjbwn2 said:

I'm sorry, but good science fiction must be plausible. Is it plausible that we could have force fields and Star Trek holodeck-style virtual reality environments in the present day? No, it is not, just as I would not find it plausible if the geniuses in Eureka developed Warp Drive tomorrow. Much of science fiction plausibility depends on how it is presented, and the writers of Eureka are producing a fluffy, soap-opera-style science fantasy series......not plausible science fiction.

A

AlnitakAlnilamMintaka

bdewoody":36mbm6kv said:
You stole my reply.
:lol: :p
crazyeddie":36mbm6kv said:
I'm sorry, but good science fiction must be plausible. Is it plausible that we could have force fields and Star Trek holodeck-style virtual reality environments in the present day? No, it is not, just as I would not find it plausible if the geniuses in Eureka developed Warp Drive tomorrow. Much of science fiction plausibility depends on how it is presented, and the writers of Eureka are producing a fluffy, soap-opera-style science fantasy series......not plausible science fiction.

Isn't sci fi, never plausible?

C

crazyeddie

AlnitakAlnilamMintaka":3dgu5l8g said:

No. Fantasy is never plausible (although it can certainly be entertaining). In science fiction, according to Wikipedia:

...within the context of the story, its imaginary elements are largely possible within scientifically-established or scientifically-postulated laws of nature (though some elements in a story might still be pure imaginative speculation). Exploring the consequences of such differences is the traditional purpose of science fiction, making it a "literature of ideas". Science fiction is largely based on writing entertainingly and rationally about alternate possibilities in settings that are contrary to known reality.

Eureka violates this definition because it's premise is that extremely advanced science gadgetry, of the type almost always associated with the far future, is being invented or developed in the present. That is not rational to me.....or plausible.

B

bdewoody

I'm sorry eddie that you don't like the show on the basis that it is not plausible. I guess you don't like either of the Stargate series either.

I have rented the first season and am now discovering that there is an underlying plot line in addition to the individual episode plots. I have become curious to see how this underlying plot developes.

To me this series is much better than most of the crap that has found its way into the SY FY lineup. Wrestling............... really

C

crazyeddie

bdewoody":2wswq9fh said:
I'm sorry eddie that you don't like the show on the basis that it is not plausible. I guess you don't like either of the Stargate series either.

Actually, Stargate SG-1 is probably my all-time favorite science fiction show. The gadgetry in this show was largely developed by advanced alien races, and humans adopted it for their own purposes. Do I believe we could build a stargate, right now, with our present technology? Of course not. Do I believe we're smart enough to figure out how to use advanced technology built by other alien races? Absolutely. That's why Stargate SG-1 is plausible, and Eureka is not, get it?

A

a_lost_packet_

crazyeddie":1duujk36 said:
AlnitakAlnilamMintaka":1duujk36 said:

No. Fantasy is never plausible (although it can certainly be entertaining). In science fiction, according to Wikipedia:

...within the context of the story, its imaginary elements are largely possible within scientifically-established or scientifically-postulated laws of nature (though some elements in a story might still be pure imaginative speculation). Exploring the consequences of such differences is the traditional purpose of science fiction, making it a "literature of ideas". Science fiction is largely based on writing entertainingly and rationally about alternate possibilities in settings that are contrary to known reality.

Eureka violates this definition because it's premise is that extremely advanced science gadgetry, of the type almost always associated with the far future, is being invented or developed in the present. That is not rational to me.....or plausible.

Reality is much, much, much stranger than most people can merely imagine.

I haven't watched Eureka, at least not an entire episode. I've seen maybe a handfull of episodic bits and pieces. BUT, I like the concept. It's like a "wagon train" type of show that stays in the same spot, day after day. But, because of the setting, just about any story concept you can think of can be brought to bear. IMO, Eureka doesn't violate any canon law of Science Fiction. In fact, it seems to go back to the very roots of science fiction - far-out gizmos.

Look back on older sci-fi. How much of what they portrayed as science fiction would fail to meet the criteria established by the all knowing Wiki, golden calf and final boss of teh internetz? What about some of the classic Twilight Zones or Outer Limits? Heck, half of those weren't even remotely plausible.

Science Fiction's classic roots center around man interacting with technology. It doesn't even have to be plausible technology. It's about man coming to grips with the impact, social/personal, of some technological gimcrakery. (Even social concepts could be considered "Sci-Fi" to a certain extent.)

So, IMO, that easily qualifies Eureka as "Sci-Fi" and not simple "Fantasy." If it's not science fiction then you'll have to throw a whole slew of formerly great sci-fi shows out with that particular bathwater.

C

crazyeddie

a_lost_packet_":1lzsns82 said:
IMO, Eureka doesn't violate any canon law of Science Fiction. In fact, it seems to go back to the very roots of science fiction - far-out gizmos.

Look back on older sci-fi. How much of what they portrayed as science fiction would fail to meet the criteria established by the all knowing Wiki, golden calf and final boss of teh internetz? What about some of the classic Twilight Zones or Outer Limits? Heck, half of those weren't even remotely plausible.

Science Fiction's classic roots center around man interacting with technology. It doesn't even have to be plausible technology. It's about man coming to grips with the impact, social/personal, of some technological gimcrakery. (Even social concepts could be considered "Sci-Fi" to a certain extent.)

So, IMO, that easily qualifies Eureka as "Sci-Fi" and not simple "Fantasy." If it's not science fiction then you'll have to throw a whole slew of formerly great sci-fi shows out with that particular bathwater.

I suppose the difference is in how it's presented. I agree that Eureka does not violate any sci-fi canons. We've seen all the gadgets and gizmos in other shows. The plot setup may be unique: how does a simple-minded sheriff (although he's smarter than first impressions would lead you to believe) cope with a town full of incomprehensible technology and eccentric scientists? But what bothers me is the premise that almost any gadget and gizmo you can image, no matter how futuristic, is being built right now in Eureka.....and I just don't buy it. Plausibility is a subtle thing, and it doesn't take much to screw it up. If a story is so compelling that you are willing to suspend disbelief temporarily in order to get on with how it all plays out, that is good science fiction.....even if it's unlikely. Case in point: "Jurassic Park". Can we really derive viable dinosaur DNA from insects trapped in million-year-old amber? Almost certainly not, but it's such a great idea, and so well presented, that you're willing to give the scientific foundations to the notion a pass in order to see what happens to the people who try. Or H.G. Wells The Time Machine. Do we really need to know how the Time Machine (or Flux Capacitor) works in order to enjoy the story? Not at all.....because the story is so good you just HAVE to suspend disbelief in order to get on with it.

Alas, the same cannot be said of Eureka, IMO.

S

StrandedonEarthsince1970

I admit the science in Eureka is a little out there and doesn't quite add up, but overall I enjoy the show. I can't resist a show that has a weapon called the "B.M.F.G. Liquidator," (episode 2 when Carter is taking the weapons test to be sheriff in Eureka) even if it hasn't been used.

M

mj1

crazyeddie":2kfunq20 said:
bdewoody":2kfunq20 said:

I tried very hard to like Eureka, and I gave it a chance, but I finally gave up on it. There are too many annoying things about the premise, the plots are frequently silly, and the science developed in this imaginary town is too advanced to be believable for the present day.
I've watched Eureka from the beginning of the series. It's still OK, but I do think it jumped the shark a bit this season. This show is still the master of product placement though. What other show actually uses the stuff that is in the commercials on the actual show. Kinda smart, I guess.

A

andrew_t1000

crazyeddie":33oizsea said:
Actually, Stargate SG-1 is probably my all-time favorite science fiction show. The gadgetry in this show was largely developed by advanced alien races, and humans adopted it for their own purposes. Do I believe we could build a stargate, right now, with our present technology? Of course not. Do I believe we're smart enough to figure out how to use advanced technology built by other alien races? Absolutely. That's why Stargate SG-1 is plausible, and Eureka is not, get it?

Do you remember the SG1 episode where Orin built a Stargate in Major Carters basement?

Carter "You built a Stargate from parts you ordered on the internet?"
Orin "Yes, it can only dial one address and will probably burn out, but it will work"

pause

Orin "I'm afraid your credit card bill will be rather high this month, oh, and you're going to need a new toaster"

J

JasonChapman

Things have kicked off in Eureka pretty quickly, really enjoyed the first episode of the latest series.

B

bdewoody

I watched the first show of the new season too and I hope they don't do too much of this time travel stuff. But it looks like the central theme of this season will be trying to undo the mischief created by their trip back into the 1949's. Allyson looked hot in the old nurse's uniform. But then she looks hot in anything she chooses to wear or not wear.

H

HRacct

Yea, I was waiting for Eureka to come on. I have followed the show since it started, basically. It has grown on me. What I like is the Sheriff, who is no dummy, having to deal with others who are just to smart. Even the mechanic has a doctor's degree!!!

But the current show idea does go back a couple of seasons to where Kim and the director were doing some experimentation in Sector(?) five, and then started to cause the future of two years from that point in time to unravel. Henry wanted to save his love, Kim, from dying, and that was what caused the departure from the normal time frame. Sheriff Carter,(not Major from SG1), was married to Allison, and they were having a baby. Joe was hooked up with the bald headed guy, and many other events that became untangled because Kim had to die in the explosion in that lower level.

But I thought the father of Eureka was going to come to that future time frame, all because they left one of those time travel "cards" behind in his coat pocket. But will it just be a one show answer, or will it be the whole season's theme for shows? The year was also, if I am correct, 1947, because that was the year of Roswell.

Since there are no "superhero's" here, would that stretch the credibility for a "HARD" S/F rating?

B

bdewoody

Did anyone else notice Will Wheaton on the most recent episode? I wonder if he will become a regular on the show along with James Callis. Despite it's silliness at times I really do look forward to watching this show along with Warehouse 13.

B

bdewoody

Even though I like this show a lot the tendency toward using time travel plots in sci fi or SyFy tv is getting old to me. At least Jack and Allyson are finally boinking.

A

a_lost_packet_

bdewoody":3addrnkc said:
Even though I like this show a lot the tendency toward using time travel plots in sci fi or SyFy tv is getting old to me. At least Jack and Allyson are finally boinking.

I haven't watched it much. But, what I saw of it I liked. The times just didn't match up for me, for some reason.

But, I agree with your lack of enthusiasm regarding time travel.. It's.. blase'.

Let's face it, it's really, really easy to do Time Travel episodes - You don't have to change much. Well, unless you're going really far back, you don't have to change a thing. Plus, there's no worries about fancy special effects either - Ray guns weren't being blasted in the Middle Ages. (Though, it'd make it a heck of a lot more interesting if they were!! Good story material there!)

Status
Not open for further replies.