Exoplanet Stats

Page 7 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
There is a nice sudden bump due to TESS, apparently.

Current count is: 5822
No. of likely HZ exos: 163
No. of these with reasonable radius: 46
[I found a hiccup on the G-class coding so there are only 4 found of the 46, not 47 as in the prior post.]
Kepler-452 b
Kepler-22 b
HD 191939 g
tau Cet f

I accidentally stumbled on a way to get the entire list of both the confirmed exoplanets as well as the candidate list. [Then I discovered there is a very simple way to do it.]

The total number of exoplanets with candidates bumps to an additional 2,614, as of today, giving a total for both of 8,857.

So if we use strong wishful thinking and pretend these candidates all get confirmed and without data changes (for the worse), then the number of "Earthlike" exoplanets bump from 47 to 111. The number of all exoplanets in their HZ, regardless of size, bumps from 171 to 301.

[Courtesy Exoplanets.eu. The color coding is explained in an earlier post. Questions are welcomed.]

Last edited:
We are seeing an abundant number of exoplanets become confirmed, and our numbers for those in their HZ are also increasing.

Hats off the astronomers! Almost 1000 new exoplanets have been added to list in only about 1 month. Keep it coming!!!

The following shows that there has been a bump of 3 exoplanets found in their respective HZ, though their radii are not Earth-sized.

Reactions: billslugg
Wow, the rate in the increase of confirmed exoplanets is impressive!

The number of exoplanets that are Earth-like in size and in their HZ remains at 47, but there are many more that are larger, especially, that are in their HZ.

For the first time, there are exoplanets found (10) around B-type stars.

Reactions: billslugg
Wow! We may be only a few days from breaking the 7,000 confirmed exoplanet number.

There is a steady increase in the number of exoplanets in HZs, but there has been no increase in these that are "Earth Sized".

In the last month, there has been an increase of about 50% in the number of HZ exoplanets by star type, with the exception of the F- type stars having a 98% increase (M-type did get bumped by 67%).

Of all the exoplanets there is a total of one that seems to be a close match to Earth -- KOI-4878 b. It is the same size as Earth and orbits at the same distance such that it receives the same amount of luminosity from its star. The other planets are usually much larger than Earth, which may, or may not, be an issue for life.

It is located in a conspicuous spot in the sky -- Ursa Major. So the next time you see the Big Dipper, look at this location marked and know it is the first to be so much a possible physical twin.

Reactions: Catastrophe
A significant bump brings the exoplanet count to just shy of 7250 exoplanets!

BUT, since at least last Sunday, when attempting to download the data for processing, I'm seeing only a "not working" notice. :(

It would be appreciated if someone else would try to see if it's more me than them in France. Their contact email link also failed me (Yahoo), but I managed to get an email and sent them a notice last Monday, but no response.

To attempt a download, go here: Exoplanet Download [I click on the "CSV" data download, but none of these links work.]

Thanks.

Exoplanet.eu has their catalog download function working again. I noticed they dropped the total confirmed count down by about 80 since my last run, so their downtime may have been for verifications.

As a reminder, Exoplanet.eu allows exoplanet masses to just under 60 Jupiters, explaining their reasoning on their home page. NASA, I assume, restricts their listing to less than this, hence the much lower number of exos in their catalog.

Also, my listing (below) restricts exoplanets to this within the User radius limits, as stated. Radius is estimated if only mass is known, though orbital distance, which gives a better density range, is taken into account. As a result, the first image shows a total HZ count of 197, but only 50 (following images) meet the User's (me) size restrictions.

Of the 50, only one would be a first choice for Ms. Goldilocks, IMO --- KOI 4878b (F-class). It likely has both the same orbital temperature zone and size of Earth.

Last edited: