Expanding Ads Have Got to Go!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

ZenGalacticore

Alright!! These goddamned expanding effing ads HAVE GOT TO GO!!!!!

I posted on User Talkback about it back in early July (40 days before abq farside did, btw, and got no responses to abq's 10, errrrrgh.) And they got rid of them for a while. Now they're back with a vengeance.

When I try to 'close x' it, it blows up anyway and then goes to the site/window too. Then when I finally get it to go away it jerks my board all around and makes SDC site- and my computer- go wackey. It slows everything down and is seriously getting my fusion engines fired!!!!!

Roooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar!!!!!!! The Galaxy is Going to Explode!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :evil: :evil:

S

SPACEINVADOR

Same problem here. When I go to log-in this ad partially covers where I type-in my password and email. And just like you, I click the close box/button on the ad and it just makes it big and then starts playing a commercial.

For some time now, this site has become a beast to log into and work. It takes forever to never to finish loading forum pages.

Also, once I hit the log in button, I get this flash like an add tried to pop-up.

W

warpfactor999

Did you notice that most of them were for Obamacare Health Reform!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Z

ZenGalacticore

warpfactor999":1kle3hxs said:
Did you notice that most of them were for Obamacare Health Reform!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No haha. I admit that I didn't pay attention to WHAT they were for!! I just tried to get them to GO AWAY!

Fine. Let Imaginova get all corporate cheap. You know what will happen? (If it hasn't begun to happen already.) The same thing that happens to any corporation that gets too greedy, cuts labor and management, cuts costs generally, screws the workers, all for the sake of the percentage profit margins 'per-share' of the stockholders:

They will lose their quality people; they will begin to advertise even more to compensate; they will ultimately lose, more and more, competent, educated, knowledgeable, critically thinking contributors that the advertisers rely on in the first place; they will push it to the limit of common denominator stupidity, and then either go out of business or lower their quality-and the ad revenues- to such an extent that they'll become the equavilant of Domino's Pizza! ('Dumpinoes').

Yeah! It's cheap pizza. "Five Pizzas for $Five Dollars". But it's god-awful CRAPPY PIZZA!!!

I know, collectively, we all have to pay for everything. But expanding adds are NOT the solution. Perhaps we could all send in $1.00 or $5.00 a year(NOTHING MORE!!!!) to keep these overtly annoying and offensive ads the hell out of a science- and evolving Open Forum and Free-thought- website!*

*Corporate structure capitalism is only ONE form of capitalism, my fellows.

S

SPACEINVADOR

We already lost most of our quality posters. This place is NOTHING compared to what it once was. And Last night I was going to post in this thread, again, but I wasn't able to!!! Still got the big expanding ad thing again today. Consider me gone...

D

docm

You can't escape those damned things. They're on all manner of news and science sites I visit regularly. Someone needs to make a FireFox plugin that won't let them open :mad:

S

Sonjiin

docm":g0psdtts said:
You can't escape those damned things. They're on all manner of news and science sites I visit regularly. Someone needs to make a FireFox plugin that won't let them open :mad:

I completely agree. I hope FF is working on something for this issue. I hate it.

M

MasterComposter

The main problem is that it actually interferes with the functionailty of the site.

Most of the ads expand when you "mouse over," not when you click on them, which means you have to run your cursor around the page like an obsatcle course to avoid sliding the cursor over an ad. There is about 2 inches on the left or right I can squeeze through to get to the links at the top of the page. Then once the ad expands, it covers up most of the main forum links I want to use, so you actually do have to close it to do anything. And as some have pointed out, the close does not always work the way it is supposed to.

It means that if you somehow fail to route your cursor though the 2-inch wide safe zone, you can set in motion an annoying cascade of catastrophies that will take you out of the site. Not very usable.

V

votefornimitz

You should be able to block that specific item by right clicking on it, even if the filter doesn't get it originally.

M

MasterComposter

Fortunately my date-a-freak ads that have been plaguing me lately do not expand. I'd hate to have a vampire or biker chick suddenly expand to fill my screen.

But some poor slob suffereing from nerve pain just took over my screen to offer me 5 bucks off Neuragen. I stomped on his foot.

M

MasterComposter

Two dorks from Allied Electronics just sucked up all my bandwidth with a Flash movie I didn't want to see...

R

rubicondsrv

MasterComposter":2b6u5jun said:
Two dorks from Allied Electronics just sucked up all my bandwidth with a Flash movie I didn't want to see...

if you could get the links embedded in the offending ads to me I will request that the admins look into the issue.
without the specific links there is little that can be done.

M

MasterComposter

rubicondsrv":91sm7vtg said:
MasterComposter":91sm7vtg said:

if you could get the links embedded in the offending ads to me I will request that the admins look into the issue.
without the specific links there is little that can be done.

The allied electronics ad goes here: http://www.alliedelec.com/vote/?utm_sou ... bvsCatalog

Z

ZenGalacticore

Okay. Now the damn things are popping up in the middle of the board page. Another one just caught me at the top of open forum. When I hit 'close x' it went to the ad anyway and automatically logged me off. I had to log back in.

Is this happening to anyone else out there?

W

warpfactor999

OK... repeat after me 3 times...FU_K...FU_K...FU_K....ok now they should go away!!!! oh wait..they didn't...:-(

S

SPACEINVADOR

No pop-up ads today, but I couldn't log in the past five hrs. This has been happening daily... for like a couple of months at least. And yes, the ads would come down my screen covering half the upper page(s).

But, I don't get how I'm suppose to be a part of this place, "when I can't log in" most of the time. :evil:

S

SPACEINVADOR

Also a lot of the time when I write-up a reply then hit the "post reply" button, it'll just say loading... and my reply never gets posted.

Z

ZenGalacticore

I've been having log-in problems too, and when I'm in, the site has been sluggish and slow. Often, when submitting a post, it doesn't work the first two times and I have to wait and hit 'submit' a third time.

Also, a couple of posts in other forums that were responding to mine wound up in MINE, as if I were responding to myself,(Zen-2-Zen) and the reverse has happened too. So you can't tell who said what.

A

abq_farside

I have had the worst - slowness and pop-up ads. Damn to both of them. :evil:

B

bdewoody

Pop up Ads

Look I know they've got to pay for this space somehow but these new pop up ads are really very very annoying. All you have to do is slide your mouse across any part of the small ad and wham you screen is taken over by an ad that is difficult to close. And yes I am referring to this site.

M

MeteorWayne

Re: Pop up Ads

A few comments; first of all I agree 100%...no actually 200%. :)

Second, posting this in Free Space accomplishes nothing; besides there are 2 or 3 other threads here on the exact same subject. I am going to merge them.

Third, TPTB don't read Free Space much, no one in their right mind would. The proper place to post this would be in Community Talkback forum at the very top of the index page.

So what I will do is merge all the threads on these annoying ads here in Free Space.

Then I will move them to Community Talkback and merge them with the several other threads there (in the right forum to get action) so there is one honkin' big thread addressing the issue.

Then I will send a note to the Community Feedback link at the bottom of the page again to reinforce it.

Maybe then it will get some attention.

Thanx

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts