Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

centsworth_II

I've taken the NASA illustration of the layers of Karatepe and overlayed the locations of the seven (so far) RAT holes left by Opportunity as it decends the wall of Endurance crater. The NASA Opportunity updates were helpful in documenting the location names and drilling dates but for some reason the update of July 1, entitled "Ravenous Rock Abrasion Tool" was riddled with errors. I didn't catch the name of the seventh site (the third in layer E). <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

C

centsworth_II

I've taken the NASA illustration of the layers of Karatepe and overlayed the locations of the seven (so far) RAT holes left by Opportunity as it decends the wall of Endurance crater. The NASA Opportunity updates were helpful in documenting the location names and drilling dates but for some reason the update of July 1, entitled "Ravenous Rock Abrasion Tool" was riddled with errors. I didn't catch the name of the seventh site (the third in layer E). <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

R

radarredux

Stupid question #2 (#1 is in Spirit): In the opportunity photos there are sections of soil/ground that is very dark in color. About 2-3 weeks ago someone posted a false color image that displayed these areas as blue, giving them the look of water, mist, or fog.<br /><br />What I find interesting is that there seems to be a correlation (just based on visual observation) that when you have these dark soil areas you tend *not* to have blueberries (example photos below).<br /><br />Any ideas why this is the case (if indeed, it is true)?<br /><br />Any idea what makes the dark soil different?<br /><br />http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportunity/pancam/2004-07-08/1P140527949EFF3182P2379L5M1.JPG<br /><br />http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportunity/pancam/2004-07-08/1P140528192EFF3182P2379L5M1.JPG<br />

R

radarredux

Stupid question #2 (#1 is in Spirit): In the opportunity photos there are sections of soil/ground that is very dark in color. About 2-3 weeks ago someone posted a false color image that displayed these areas as blue, giving them the look of water, mist, or fog.<br /><br />What I find interesting is that there seems to be a correlation (just based on visual observation) that when you have these dark soil areas you tend *not* to have blueberries (example photos below).<br /><br />Any ideas why this is the case (if indeed, it is true)?<br /><br />Any idea what makes the dark soil different?<br /><br />http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportunity/pancam/2004-07-08/1P140527949EFF3182P2379L5M1.JPG<br /><br />http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportunity/pancam/2004-07-08/1P140528192EFF3182P2379L5M1.JPG<br />

C

centsworth_II

Also an intriguing question, like #1. I hope JonClarke shows up before too long. I'm sure he'll have some interesting things to say about it. <br /><br />The look of mist or fog that appears in some of the images that Opportunity is taking of areas near the bottom of Endurance crater, I attribute to collected dust, which is featureless and textureless. The eye has nothing to focus on and, in this sense, it looks no different to the eye than fog. In the images I'm talking about though, the dust has been light in color, not dark as in the images you have posted links to. This may be accounted for by the use of different filters in the different images. But I don't know... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

C

centsworth_II

Also an intriguing question, like #1. I hope JonClarke shows up before too long. I'm sure he'll have some interesting things to say about it. <br /><br />The look of mist or fog that appears in some of the images that Opportunity is taking of areas near the bottom of Endurance crater, I attribute to collected dust, which is featureless and textureless. The eye has nothing to focus on and, in this sense, it looks no different to the eye than fog. In the images I'm talking about though, the dust has been light in color, not dark as in the images you have posted links to. This may be accounted for by the use of different filters in the different images. But I don't know... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts