Fusion in a can???????

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rlb2

<font color="yellow">Scientists say they have achieved small-scale nuclear fusion in a tabletop experiment, using tried and true techniques that are expected to generate far less controversy than past such claims.<br /><br />http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7654627/<font color="white"><br /><br />Is this experiment another Ponce or is it something that will ultimately lead to a breakthrough in cheep energy and propulsion system????<br /><br />Years ago I proposed using a catalyst -iron atoms- in the center of a fusion experiment surrounded by deuterium or Helium 3 atoms to help retain a strong magnetic field in a fusion reaction. In this tabletop experiment they use a crystal.......<br /><br />What would happen if they used Helium 3 instead of deuterium atoms, something very scarce on Earth but very plentiful on the moon????<br /><br />http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/helium3_000630.html<br /><br /><br /></font></font> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

S

Saiph

I think you're being overly harsh on the article.<br /><br />Afterall, the article reports that this isn't a new idea. That it's just a low tech way to do it (and more compact). It also says energy generation via this method isn't a reality now, nor likely to be so in the near future.<br /><br />It lists off ways for it to be applied, none of which are for power generation.<br /><br />BTW, you still haven't shown me a source on the 260 second fusion run, and I really would like to read that article! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

S

Saiph

and sooner or later I'm sure we'll figure out regular hydrogen fusion (proton-proton chain). <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

E

emperor_of_localgroup

i hope this is not another grant renewal time. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="2" color="#ff0000"><strong>Earth is Boring</strong></font> </div>

R

rlb2

Unfortunately some things that you are saying about the USA's dedication to science under the Bush administration seem to be true. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

<font color="orange"> i hope this is not another grant renewal time.<font color="white"><br /><br />Ha... you got that right. <br /><br />I hope Grant stayed in his tomb....... The end justifies the means when it is close to renewal times in science.</font></font> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

S

Saiph

Not the hubble thing again! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.