Galaxy POX 186

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Leovinus

<i>The tiny, nascent galaxy shown here, POX 186, is believed to be two smaller clumps of gas and stars that have recently merged -- within the past 100 million years, (young in terms of the 13 billion year history of the universe). At only 900 light-years across, and containing an estimated 10 million stars, POX 186 is less than one-tenth the diameter of the Milky Way Galaxy and has 10,000 times fewer stars.</i><br /><br />I was looking at this picture in my "SPACE" page-a-day calendar and was wondering what the night sky would look like from a planet in that galaxy. Would it be brighter or darker than our night sky? What is the average distance between stars? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

N

newtonian

Leovinus - Hi! <br /><br />Thank you for the photo.<br /><br />Well, the night sky viewed from a planet in that galaxy would depend on which planet, and which star this planet orbited.<br /><br />Let us assume a somewhat earth-like planet, as unlikely as this is (depending on how many parameters you include and how precise the matching).<br /><br />Let us assume this planet is orbiting a star a little closer to galactic core than earth is, thus compensating for the lower average galactic stellar density.<br /><br />In that case the view might be similar- we are talking about a spiral.<br /><br />However, unlike Milky Way, POX 186 appears to be a barred spiral galaxy. Would it be classified SBbs? [Spiral Barred; abc?; s- arms start in the nucleus].<br /><br />A barred spiral would be a different view - again I emphasize that the exact position in the galaxy would greatly effect the view - i.e., the reference point for viewing. <br />

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts