Ganesa Macula. Cryoshield Volcano on Titan??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interesting 180 kilometre wide feature on Titan. Circular, low profile with flows that seem to enamete from a central 'caldera'.<br /><br />Ganesa Macula.<br /><br />Andrew Brown. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080">"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before".</font> <em><strong><font color="#000000">Linda Morabito </font></strong><font color="#800000">on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.</font></em></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://www.launchphotography.com/</font><br /><br /><font size="1" color="#000080">http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://web.me.com/meridianijournal</font></p> </div>

A

alokmohan

Ganesa is one Hindu god.Is it named for that reason can you tell me?

B

bobw

It is part of the plan for naming things on Titan.<br /><br /><i>"Creation of the Titan nomenclature: The International Astronomical Union’s (IAU) Working Group on Planetary System Nomenclature (WGPSN) established 10 feature types and Latin terms for naming on Titan, as well as 7 categories of proper names. The initial work has been done by the authors of this abstract – the members of the Outer Solar System Task Group, which is a subdivision of the WGPSN, and Jennifer Blue, who is a geographer at the USGS/Flagstaff Astrogeology Research Program. Further development was made by the WGPSN, which approved the names."</i><br /><br /><i>Feature type definitions:</i><br /><b>ALBEDO FEATURE:</b> Geographic area distinguished by amount of reflected light.<br /><b>ARCUS:</b> Arc-shaped feature.<br /><b>CRATER:</b> A circular depression.<br /><b>FACULA (pl. FACULAE):</b> Bright spot(s).<br /><b>FLUMEN (pl. FLUMINA):</b> Channel(s) on Titan that might carry liquid.<br /><b>LACUS:</b> Small plain; on Titan – a "lake" or small, dark plain with discrete, sharp boundaries.<br /><b>MACULA:</b> Dark spot.<br /><b>REGIO:</b> A large area marked by reflectivity or color distinctions from adjacent areas, or a broad geographic region.<br /><b>RINGED FEATURE:</b> Cryptic ringed feature.<br /><b>VIRGA (pl. VIRGAE):</b> A streak or stripe of color.<br /><br /><i>Proper name categories:</i><br /><b><i>Albedo Features:</i></b> Sacred or enchanted places, paradise, celestial realms from legends, myths, stories, and poems of cultures from around the world.<br /><b><i>Craters and Ringed Features:</i></b> Deities of wisdom.<br /><b><i>Facula/Faculae:</i></b> <i>Facula</i>: Islands on the Earth that are not politically independent. <i>Clusters of Faculae</i>: Archipelagos on the Earth.<br /><b><i>Flumen/Flumina:</i></b> Mythical or imaginary rivers.<br /><b><i>Lacus:</i></b> Lakes on Earth, preferably with a shape similar to the lacus on Tita <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts