hard questions

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

condor007

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Just a brief comment, I haven't had time to read the whole thing yet. Heading out to pick up our Christmas tree.Am I correct in assuming that English is not your native language and your are translating it?If this is being written in English, the grammer and word choice needs a lot of work, but if you are translating, I'll just assume it comes out better in your native language :)I'll have some time later to address the content. Glad to see you put in some real effort, it gives us all more incentive to help.Wayne&nbsp; <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV><br /><br />Haha yes indeed english is not my first language. Besides the answers are just some drafts. i "speak" english really well when i go out and stuff i always pick up girls but i got some problem writting it especially with this specific topic. i am in a business major.</p><p>actually i did put a lot of on work in this class and i actually love it and i am more interested to know what is really going on out there. I have been watching videos on you tube from history channel and it&nbsp;s really helpfull.</p><p>ok i ll correct what i did and get back to you guys. </p>

C

condor007

<p>hello, i am back.</p><p>i answered the 2 first questions. please please please feedback me :) my final is tomorow so if you can help if i am wrong it would be awesome. thank you.</p><p style="margin:0in0in0pt;text-align:justify" class="MsoNormal"><span><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">Describe which of the formation hypotheses associated with the Moon possibly is most relevant to the formation of Titan. In your answer, explain why the hypotheses not chosen by you are of lesser relevance .</font></span></p><span><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">&nbsp;</font></span> <p style="margin:0in0in0pt;text-align:justify" class="MsoNormal"><span><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman"><span>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </span>In earlier classes, we discussed the formation of the moon with four hypotheses. Only one revealed to be plausible for its creation. Trying to relate the formation of titan to one of these hypotheses is a tough nut to crack since we don t really know how it really was formed.</font></font></span></p><span><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">&nbsp;</font></span> <p style="margin:0in0in0pt;text-align:justify" class="MsoNormal"><span><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman"><span>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </span>First hypotheses observed was the fission theory which would involve the earth as a primary cause or Saturn for titan&rsquo;s creation. Indeed, the earth, by spinning ten times faster than it is today, would have ejected certain significant mass in the atmosphere that would have stayed in earth&rsquo;s orbit creating the &ldquo;moon&rdquo;. However, the fission theory is not plausible for the creation of titan because the mineral composition does not match the one of Saturn. Besides, the fission theory is not really plausible since the planet would have to spin really fast and the ejecta would have had to stay in a stable orbit. Besides, the fission would imply an ejecta from Saturn which is impossible since it is made out of gas and its core is really dense.</font></font></span></p><span><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">&nbsp;</font></span> <p style="margin:0in0in0pt;text-align:justify" class="MsoNormal"><span><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman"><span>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </span>Impact theory is also not one of the most plausible theories since it is really hard for an object to hit Saturn, besides Saturn is made of gas essentially and an impact would not have resulted in into small pieces in the atmosphere that could have created titan.</font></font></span></p><span><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">&nbsp;</font></span> <p style="margin:0in0in0pt;text-align:justify" class="MsoNormal"><span><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman"><span>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </span>The most plausible explanation for titan&rsquo;s creation is the capture. It is proposed by a research from monarch university that titan&rsquo;s capture was achieved by collision with 2 rhea sized native moon that once existed at orbital radius. The impact would have slowed down titan&rsquo;s speed made it possible for Saturn to capture it in its magnetic field.</font></font></span></p><span><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">&nbsp;</font></span> <p style="margin:0in0in0pt;text-align:justify" class="MsoNormal"><span><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman"><span>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </span>Therefore, it would be fair to assume that titan&rsquo;s was created with condensation/accretion and then captured by Saturn&rsquo;s magnetic field as a result of a collision with 2 native moons.</font></font></span></p><p>&nbsp;</p>

C

condor007

<p style="margin:0in0in0pt;text-align:justify" class="MsoNormal"><span><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">Describe the main features and processes associated with the periglacial landscape in the </font></span></p><p style="margin:0in0in0pt0.5in;text-align:justify" class="MsoNormal"><span><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">Tuktoyaktuk Coastlands of northern Canada. Discuss the extent to which this landscape is or is not a good geological analogue of Utopia Planitia, Mars.</font></span></p><span><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">&nbsp;</font></span> <p style="margin:0in0in0pt0.5in;text-align:justify" class="MsoNormal"><span><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">There are different processes involved in the creation of the tuk., periglacial landscape also known as pingos. Pingos are long and large circular mounds with an ice core base occurring in periglacial landscape. The origin and growth of the pingos depend of the surface water, the freezing process and the presence of deep continuous permafrost. Often, the last stage of the pingos result in a summit collapse leaving an annular rim behind.</font></span></p><span><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">&nbsp;</font></span> <p style="margin:0in0in0pt0.5in;text-align:justify" class="MsoNormal"><span><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">The utopia planitia is a good geological landscape for pingos because of the permafrost presence underneath the surface. The crater floor mounds are consistent with the earth pingos and their shape. Moreover, the polygons orthogonality are indicative of water receding slowing like in the periglacial environment on earth. </font></span></p><span><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">&nbsp;</font></span> <p style="margin:0in0in0pt0.5in;text-align:justify" class="MsoNormal"><span><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">We believe that the pingos-like mounds and associated crater floor landforms maybe common place in this area, utopia planitia. If so, this could point to periglacial processes actively having shaped the landcape in what we know as pingos.</font></span></p><p style="margin:0in0in0pt0.5in;text-align:justify" class="MsoNormal"><span><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">Therefore the periglacial landscape in earth are similar to the one found in utopia.</font></span></p>

S

Saiph

<p>much better.&nbsp; Regarding titans "creation" you may wish to clearly point out that it may have <em>formed</em> via accretion, like most bodies.&nbsp; But it became a moon of saturn through capture.</p><p>You've also identified the major problem with the fission or impact theories regarding titan...saturn is a gas giant!</p><p>You may wish to elaborate a bit on why you don't think Titan was created already in orbit (a straight accretion theory).</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Anyway, that's looking much better.&nbsp;&nbsp; Good luck on your test!</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts