How can an electron have weight yet move at the Speed Of L.

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

why06

It would also help if I could find out how these experiments were originally done showing an electron to have weight. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div>________________________________________ <br /></div><div><ul><li><font color="#008000"><em>your move...</em></font></li></ul></div> </div>

D

drwayne

Under what conditions do you think an electron is moving at the speed of light?<br /><br />Wayne <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>"1) Give no quarter; 2) Take no prisoners; 3) Sink everything."  Admiral Jackie Fisher</p> </div>

V

vogon13

Mass of electron (in ev) is 511,000.<br /><br />Big enough they don't have trouble telling.<br /><br />Not like the dorky little neutrinos with their iffy masses around 2 or 3 ev.<br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

W

why06

does an electrons quantum state effect this ability? If electrons have mass how can they always keep moving? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div>________________________________________ <br /></div><div><ul><li><font color="#008000"><em>your move...</em></font></li></ul></div> </div>

Y

yevaud

Refer to DeBroglie and the DeBroglie Wavicle. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

V

vogon13

If electrons have mass how can they always keep moving?<br /><br />Huh?<br /><br /><br />Newton has a law about this, I recall.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

M

mlorrey

electrons have mass and do not travel at light speed. photons are objectively massless, travel at light speed, so they have virtual mass only in that their energy can be converted to mass via e=mc^2, which is why solar sails work.<br /><br />Electrons typically travel around 40,000 mph in the best conductors. Empty space is not a good conductor.

P

pizzaguy

<font color="yellow">Electrons typically travel around 40,000 mph in the best conductors.</font><br /><br />I understood it to be MUCH slower than that. Where did you get that number? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1"><em>Note to Dr. Henry:  The testosterone shots are working!</em></font> </div>

S

Saiph

actually, light sails work because light has momentum, not because of e=mc^2. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

R

robnissen

Don't electrons "instantly" jump between shells. Has the speed of that jump been measured?

W

why06

That's what I'm saying would not eventually ouside forcees cause an electron to lose all of its energy... well motion. just like a rock when tossed will eventually hit the ground. yet you never see a slow-moving electron. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div>________________________________________ <br /></div><div><ul><li><font color="#008000"><em>your move...</em></font></li></ul></div> </div>

M

mlorrey

The momentum is calculated via e=mc^2, where you replace e with a function of the frequency, as I wrote it in another topic.

W

why06

Its not so much an actual movement but a jump in the energy level. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div>________________________________________ <br /></div><div><ul><li><font color="#008000"><em>your move...</em></font></li></ul></div> </div>

Y

yevaud

Velocity isn't a defined operator in quantum mechanics. You can measure momentum and divide by the mass, but it isn't velocity in the macroscopic sense and has no real meaning in the quantum mechanical sense. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

W

why06

Are you sure i thought electrons approahed the spped of light. Does anyone know of the experiments done to measure this speed. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div>________________________________________ <br /></div><div><ul><li><font color="#008000"><em>your move...</em></font></li></ul></div> </div>

T

thermionic

>>you never see a slow-moving electron<br /><br />Static electricity.<br /><br /> />>speed that electrons jump orbitals<br /><br />t = period of the photon produced.<br /><br />I don't know that the physical distance between orbitals is well defined for an electron, as it is acting quite wave-like to fit in an orbital and not in a particular location. So its velocity can't be well defined either. Or perhaps it's the other way around, or symmetrical. Things get so muddled in quantum-land.

W

why06

Speaking of that Does any one understand how a body with mass could be in a quantum state- two places at once? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div>________________________________________ <br /></div><div><ul><li><font color="#008000"><em>your move...</em></font></li></ul></div> </div>

T

thermionic

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>Are you sure i thought electrons approahed the spped of light. Does anyone know of the experiments done to measure this speed. <p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br /><br />That would be nice. I can't cite an experiment off the top of my head, but you do these calculations in undergraduate physics. From practical experience, I use 9 inches/nS for backplane propogation and the biggest cone of logic that we try to implement on-chip at GHz frequencies is 1mm.

Y

yevaud

There were a number of experiments performed, beginning in (IIRC) 1960, which measured the "velocity" of an electron making a jump in a Josephson Junction as being 15km/sec. - about 1/20 the speed of light. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

W

why06

"Static" electricity is a flawed term for the electrons are still constantly buzzing around their atoms at incredible speed. also once a static shok occurs that electricity is no longer static.<br /><br />Also I think the weight of the electron would increase do to its speed. Has this been factured into the equations of those who found electricity's speed. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div>________________________________________ <br /></div><div><ul><li><font color="#008000"><em>your move...</em></font></li></ul></div> </div>

W

why06

If 20 electrons where moving that speed would that not egaul all the power containedd within the universe.<br /><br />...Josephson Junction .... hmm I'll search for that... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div>________________________________________ <br /></div><div><ul><li><font color="#008000"><em>your move...</em></font></li></ul></div> </div>

Y

yevaud

Tunnelling Effect Experiment <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

K

kyle_baron

<i><br />Speaking of that Does any one understand how a body with mass could be in a quantum state- two places at once? </i><br /><br />Not just in two places at once. A particle with mass can be in an infinite number of places (anywhere on the wave, but it has the highest probability of being at the highest peak). A photon (light) is then used to observe it's position and interacts with the particle (resulting from the wave), giving away it's position. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="4"><strong></strong></font></p> </div>

W

why06

Is it possible that this effect gives light the ability to be in an infitnite number of parrallel lines. meaning you can view a coke bottle from any angle <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div>________________________________________ <br /></div><div><ul><li><font color="#008000"><em>your move...</em></font></li></ul></div> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts