How do you drive a Mars rover from home? Don't worry, NASA's got this.

Jan 25, 2020
Visit site
I read this and several other articles to try to find out how they were applying the red and blue highlights so the anaglyph glasses will work. Unfortunately, they did not say how the images were modified. The article did say the glasses worked quite well, which brings up the question of why they are spending huge amounts of money on expensive goggles and graphics cards, when a couple of pieces of colored plastic would do the job about as well. On the other hand, I know several people that, due to physical limitations, have no stereovision whatsoever, and they have no problems maneuvering in a 3D world at all, so an effectively monochrome 3D representation produced by the anaglyph glasses may not be as necessary as NASA is implying.

Reactions: Lovethrust
Apr 16, 2020
Visit site
Takes me back to the Viking landers in the 1970s. NASA published a book of images from the landers that included stereo images and red/blue glasses. Well before virtual reality was invented I was amazed at the experience of standing on the surface of Mars.

Reactions: Lovethrust
Apr 7, 2020
Visit site
I read this and several other articles to try to find out how they were applying the red and blue highlights so the anaglyph glasses will work. Unfortunately, they did not say how the images were modified. The article did say the glasses worked quite well, which brings up the question of why they are spending huge amounts of money on expensive goggles and graphics cards, when a couple of pieces of colored plastic would do the job about as well. On the other hand, I know several people that, due to physical limitations, have no stereovision whatsoever, and they have no problems maneuvering in a 3D world at all, so an effectively monochrome 3D representation produced by the anaglyph glasses may not be as necessary as NASA is implying.
You know I don’t own a 3d tv but I watched Coraline with the red blue glasses (I actually bought a pair online, much better than the cardboard ones) and you are right, the 3d was almost as good as a dedicated screen.

Apr 7, 2020
Visit site
Takes me back to the Viking landers in the 1970s. NASA published a book of images from the landers that included stereo images and red/blue glasses. Well before virtual reality was invented I was amazed at the experience of standing on the surface of Mars.
Great book!!! I still bring it out time to time

310_firefly_125.jpg

Latest posts