How to debate a flat-Earther

Page 5 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2023
Visit site
In fact this is a proof the world IS round because what they will see is UPSIDE DOWN constellations, You can see this your self if you just watch in the evening and notice the orientation then get up in the wee hrs the next day
i'm still curious about those on the equator.. if you'll allow me to repeat myself once more..

If I am standing on the equator in midsummer... looking at the night sky at midnight.. now.. suddenly the sun is gone, and someone on the complete opposite side of the equator is looking up at the sky..

Is it correct for me to assume that the view of the sky of the other person will be the exact same view that I will see in exactly six months?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Midnight and sun suddenly gone don't compute.

However, you can recreate your question. Take a ball and create your scenario. Rotate to account for your time element. You'll have your answer.

LKK

Nov 8, 2023
Visit site
i'm still curious about those on the equator.. if you'll allow me to repeat myself once more..

If I am standing on the equator in midsummer... looking at the night sky at midnight.. now.. suddenly the sun is gone, and someone on the complete opposite side of the equator is looking up at the sky..

Is it correct for me to assume that the view of the sky of the other person will be the exact same view that I will see in exactly six months?
In 12 hrs or midnight in six months

Nov 23, 2023
Visit site
Midnight and sun suddenly gone don't compute.

However, you can recreate your question. Take a ball and create your scenario. Rotate to account for your time element. You'll have your answer.
thanks for your patience with me and explaining things.. i have a better view of things now and will be ale to answer the question i was given..

Let me throw some sand in the smug conceit that science would ever produce absolute 'knowledge'.

Conspiracy is a science fact.

Groups have a greater propensity to lie than individuals do.
I would include passive social conformity to that as well.

Religion is a belief scheme.
Science should be understood as a verification scheme.

Thinking you believe in 'science' tends to derail actual science.
A lot of intellectual bunk does get published and labeled 'science'.
Absolute 'knowledge' speaks of our desire and arguable psychological need for certainty and not of rational reason/reasoning.

Science actually builds a working framework of probabilities that may need to be remodeled on an ongoing basis.

Intellectually seated people understand the tenuous grasp we have on comprehension of the 'reality' we believe we live in.

As for a flat Earth,
& more technically than means 'flat on average' given variable topography,
the laser beam parallel with the surface of a calm lake a few mile out and photos of the globe from space and how the orbital mechanics fits with observation puts that to rest in my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts