Hubble Finds Thousands of Stars Without Galaxies

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

newmoon

From KenCroswell.com:<br /><br />Most of the intergalactic stars in the Virgo cluster are old and surprisingly metal-poor, say astronomers who have used the Hubble Space Telescope to discover thousands of such stars. The low metallicity suggests that the stars were born both in small Virgo galaxies which disintegrated and at the edges of the large galaxies which tore the small ones apart.

V

vandivx

interesting, I was just putting together a thread that would have some bearing on this - about why the stars and galaxies and higher aglomeration do not grow beyond certain size... and this is one reason why they do not, gravitation simply has hard times to support larger than average stars, galaxies, clusters and superclusters and collisions have more likely dividing effect than consolidating one, letting the kinetic energy to rip galaxies appart instead of making them grow bigger by a process of accumulation by gravitation<br /><br />then I was unsure how I could argue my point and the thread is still not posted after several days, just sitting half written in another tab in my browser LOL<br /><br />vanDivX <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.