I thought there was no sound in space?

Page 3 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Leovinus

<i> A Note on the Perseus Cluster<br />Credit: A. Fabian (IoA Cambridge) et al., CXC, NASA<br /><br />Explanation: A truly enormous collection of thousands of galaxies, the Perseus Cluster - like other large galaxy clusters - is filled with hot, x-ray emitting gas. The x-ray hot gas (not the individual galaxies) appears in the left panel above, a false color image from the Chandra Observatory. The bright central source flanked by two dark cavities is the cluster's supermassive black hole. At right, the panel shows the x-ray image data specially processed to enhance contrasts and reveals a strikingly regular pattern of pressure waves rippling through the hot gas. In other words, <font color="yellow">sound waves</font> likely generated by bursts of activity from the black hole, are ringing through the Perseus Galaxy Cluster. Astronomers infer that these previously unknown sound waves are a source of energy which keeps the cluster gas so hot. So what note is the Perseus Cluster playing? Estimates of the distance between the wave peaks and sound speed in the cluster gas suggests the cosmic note is about 57 octaves below B-flat above middle C. </i><br /><br />Astronomy Picture of the Day - September 12, 2003 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

I

igorsboss

I was following up on MrMux's post re: beating the dead horse.

J

jatslo

rahul_shrivastava said, "<font color="yellow">so that means your ears are not hearing sound through vacuum you hear it through metal.</font><br /><br />Jatslo said, "<font face="verdana" color="#99FFFF" size="3">Sound is harmonic reverberations, meaning something needs to reverberate to your ear, which then reverberates like a drum as in ear drum.</font>"

D

djd1

<font color="white">Wow<br />Looks like a baby with the umbilical cord floating.<br /></font>

R

rahul_shrivastava

ya Jatslo that means u need a medium but inside vacuum we dont have any medium

N

nexium

This thread is impressive:100 significantly different explanations and few of them wrong or frivelous. Neil

D

djtt

so in conclusion<br />we know that space is not empty in an absolute sense so theoretically soundwaves could be present, but there would be nothing efficient enough to actually registrate it thus practically there is no sound in space

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts