If we found an uninhabited planet just like Earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Beanze

Hi guys, another mind game here!

Let's pretend for a minute, that every news paper and scientific paper, and everyone literally, made claims of that we have found a Planet identical to Earth. Or shall we say, a planet exactly like Earth. Let's pretend it's location is on the edge of the Solar System, lurking behind Uranus or Pluto, Neptune perhaps. Let's pretend that a Sun, never seen before, had been found 1 AU from this New Earth, only this time - on the other side of the System, where New Earth lies. What would we do exactly? If you skip the ethical part, where would we be in 20 years? Which steps would be taken next? The scans have been made, it's 100% like that of Earth, only without the damages we've caused here on Earth.

Let's pretend that YOU were the one to make the call. What would you have done? If you had all the funding one could only dream of.

I'm attempting this because I'm extremely bored, and SDC is almost as dead as it can get right now, at this hour. I cant be bothered to sleep right now, I refuse to sleep with the only reason being "Got nothing else to do". Help me out here :) Please.

Reactions: NIOMARVIN83
B

Beanze

Beanze":2rnziua1 said:

Let's pretend for a minute, that every news paper and scientific paper, and everyone literally, made claims of that we have found a Planet identical to Earth. Or shall we say, a planet exactly like Earth. Let's pretend it's location is on the edge of the Solar System, lurking behind Uranus or Pluto, Neptune perhaps. Let's pretend that a Sun, never seen before, had been found 1 AU from this New Earth, only this time - on the other side of the System, where New Earth lies. What would we do exactly? If you skip the ethical part, where would we be in 20 years? Which steps would be taken next? The scans have been made, it's 100% like that of Earth, only without the damages we've caused here on Earth.

Let's pretend that YOU were the one to make the call. What would you have done? If you had all the funding one could only dream of.

I'm attempting this because I'm extremely bored, and SDC is almost as dead as it can get right now, at this hour. I cant be bothered to sleep right now, I refuse to sleep with the only reason being "Got nothing else to do". Help me out here :) Please.

I'll start. I would put it on hold until we've learned to preserve our own planet in it's current state without messing it up more. Only then would I even consider taking the step of traveling there to investigate further. Or even attempt to land and settle down there. I wouldn't want us to destroy yet another world. I would try to control the birth rate and force people to abandon their habits that in long-term damages New Earth. Look for unique or exotic minerals etc. As strange as it sounds, I wouldn't have countries. I would try and keep us all united under one language and have every rule applied to everyone. One World, One Nation.

C

Couerl

Isn't that a heartwarming story?.... :lol:

I'd go and rape that thing for all it was worth after I had you put in shackles and hauled off to the dungeon to be put to the question. :ugeek:

B

Beanze

Couerl":117heebo said:

I'd go and rape that thing for all it was worth after I had you put in shackles and hauled off to the dungeon to be put to the question. :ugeek:

You... you my good sir, are evil !

M

MeteorWayne

Beanze":20dbwls9 said:

Let's pretend for a minute, that every news paper and scientific paper, and everyone literally, made claims of that we have found a Planet identical to Earth. Or shall we say, a planet exactly like Earth. Let's pretend it's location is on the edge of the Solar System, lurking behind Uranus or Pluto, Neptune perhaps.
That's impossible, since the amount of sunlight out there is insufficient for any liquids.
Let's pretend that a Sun, never seen before, had been found 1 AU from this New Earth, only this time - on the other side of the System, where New Earth lies. What would we do exactly? If you skip the ethical part, where would we be in 20 years? Which steps would be taken next? The scans have been made, it's 100% like that of Earth, only without the damages we've caused here on Earth.

I would think the Pink Unicorns can handle everything.... :roll:

B

Beanze

MeteorWayne":1fsfi1jr said:
Beanze":1fsfi1jr said:

Let's pretend for a minute, that every news paper and scientific paper, and everyone literally, made claims of that we have found a Planet identical to Earth. Or shall we say, a planet exactly like Earth. Let's pretend it's location is on the edge of the Solar System, lurking behind Uranus or Pluto, Neptune perhaps.
That's impossible, since the amount of sunlight out there is insufficient for any liquids.
Let's pretend that a Sun, never seen before, had been found 1 AU from this New Earth, only this time - on the other side of the System, where New Earth lies. What would we do exactly? If you skip the ethical part, where would we be in 20 years? Which steps would be taken next? The scans have been made, it's 100% like that of Earth, only without the damages we've caused here on Earth.

I would think the Pink Unicorns can handle everything.... :roll:

Meteor, do you have any kind of imagination whatsoever? :(
I give up, good night people - Time to hit the sack!

M

MeteorWayne

This is Space Business and Technology, not Science Fiction or Fantasy!

M

menellom

If there was another star that close, I imagine we'd have noticed it by now.

C

Couerl

Beanze":r5awyqus said:
Couerl":r5awyqus said:

You... you my good sir, are evil !

Nah, I'm actually quite a pleasant person. I was just railing against this seemingly ubiquitous notion that mankind is somehow going to use up all of the material in the universe if he isn't stopped which, of-course is actually absurd even on a planetary scale. There were actually some pretty goofy ideas floating around in the early 20Th century about a mirror Earth but, they didn't get much further than sci-fi. I think even Buck Rogers used the planet Mongo as a sort of quasi-mirror Earth or, at least something along those lines..

P

Polishguy

Alright, leaving aside the strange misanthropy and dislike for his own species of the OP, and the fact that if a 1 Solar Mass object were sitting about 1 AU from Neptune, it would screw up comets so bad we'd get hit twice a decade, let's contemplate what we would do with an extra planet.

I'd establish the United States Colonization Programme. Those of high IQ and desirable breeding stock (no hemophiliacs) would be packed onto rockets and fired off to start the New United States, which would cover that entire planet. Until the Russians or Chinese show up, then we work out borders. Let the meek have earth, the rest can have New Earth. Given the energy cost of exporting minerals from New Earth to Earth, it wouldn't make economic sense, so it will develop just enough to support itself and populate that world with 7 Billion. Then we launch our rockets and send more colonists outward.

This all assumes we would have the rocket power to clear the Sun's gravity well and climb into that New Sun's gravity well, and fall to 1 AU distance. Which is unlikely.

Y

Yuri_Armstrong

I'd expect there would be a race to capture this new world and exploit its resources and lands. I'd like to think though that the governments of the world would unite and use that new planet responsibly. This would most likely happen, as only advanced nations could even think about going that far and setting up a colony. The fact that it's just like Earth is good but you still have to make the trip there which requires travelling quite a large distance so you need to look at the different methods of propulsion or even solar sails to get there.

So the only countries that would try to set up a colony there would be the US or Russia, most likely in cooperation with other space agencies. I'd think that it would work out pretty well, we have done a good job of keeping space demilitarized and used for the good of science so I think that trend would continue.

K

kk434

History would just repeat it self, just like when Columbus discovered America and all seafaring nations scrambled thier fleets to collonize this world. In this case all spacefaring nations would just forget about the costs and start launching rockets full of colonists one after another. This is just sci-fi but if we find a habitable world let's say 20 Ly from earth then it is possible with a quick (near light speed) rocket to reach this place in about 50 years and start populating it.

S

Sycamorefan

Let's pretend that YOU were the one to make the call. What would you have done? If you had all the funding one could only dream of

OK, I'LL play along with this one... it could be fun!
Lets say a star with an Earth-like planet "suddenly" was discovered just beyond our solar system and it was my job to decide what if anything to do about it. I would issue a general order to execute or destroy anyone (nation, group or individual) that would even plan an ATTEMPT to go there. Why the hard line you ask? 2 thoughts come to mind:
1- This is a trap! if we successfully send a ship there, it means were on the verge of interstellar travel and therefore potential competition or a possible long term threat to whatever Alien race either hid or created the new star system in our stellar back yard!

2- This is a test for mankind! Maybe its a test like I stated above or maybe it's how well we would treat this new "Earth" I don't have all the answers, but I do know this: Any Alien race with the kind of technology to hide stars right under our noses or create entire solar systems ARE NOT the kind of beings I would want to disappoint/ fail to impress/ anger/ or come across to them as a "future threat"!

The safest and sane thing to do would be to turn Hubble that way and watch!

B

bdewoody

Paleeezzzz, put this thread in fantasy land where it belongs!!!!!!!!!!

T

Technetium

This would be cool.

If I were in charge. I'd plan a mission to visit when we have sufficient technology.
Create some sort of Starship that can habit a few thousand people.
Renewable sources like Food to get there.

Once that's done, I'd put out to everyone in the world say, 5000 spaces to travel there and start a new ecosystem.
But obviously It wouldn't be guarenteed you'd return to umm.. EarthOne?
Because EarthTwo would be so far it wouldn't be a 5 minute journey. :lol:.

But yeah, Just playing along, If I were in charge that's what I'd do.
Suppose it's a good thing I'm not incharge. :lol: ;)

L

Last89er

A planet cannot be like Earth and be uninhabited. All organisms find their ecological niche.

S

scottb50

Last89er":2xf1c8f1 said:
A planet cannot be like Earth and be uninhabited. All organisms find their ecological niche.

Statistically such a world pretty much has to exist, it may be a very small number but there has to be one. With water and acceptable atmosphere it would be highly unlikely life would not have formed, though not impossible either.

Either way we'd probably screw it up pretty fast.

L

Last89er

scottb50":3tzknhav said:
Statistically such a world pretty much has to exist, it may be a very small number but there has to be one. With water and acceptable atmosphere it would be highly unlikely life would not have formed, though not impossible either.

Either way we'd probably screw it up pretty fast.

Statistically lead shot will spontaneously jump out of a test tube. It eventually has to. All those atoms jumping together in one direction may be highly unlikely, but not impossible.

Either way we'd miss it.

D

dryson

I seriously doubt that when we find another planet similar to Earth that it would uninhabitated. You have to remember that when we find another planet similar to Earth it would have evolved relatively the same way that Earth has so there would be life on the planet in one form or another.

There would be those that would rush to build ships to be the Columbuseer's (those that venture into uncharted territory) or the first ones to stake claim to various portions of the planet. The you have those that would try and fight the Columbuseer's from leaving to discover the new planet because the discovery would turn religion on it's head. You would also have those that would try and stop both sides from fighting about leaving the planet and staying. Of course you have those that would capitilize off of all three groups in numerous ways while still other groups would try to counter this group. The there would be those that really didn't give a crap and wanted to be left alone.

Basically a war would probably ensue where new technology and social institutions were born replacing the old institutions. Isn't progress wonderfull?

D

dryson

History would just repeat it self, just like when Columbus discovered America and all seafaring nations scrambled thier fleets to collonize this world. In this case all spacefaring nations would just forget about the costs and start launching rockets full of colonists one after another. This is just sci-fi but if we find a habitable world let's say 20 Ly from earth then it is possible with a quick (near light speed) rocket to reach this place in about 50 years and start populating it.

Oh I guess the Gliese 581g find is sci-fi?

N

neilsox

Just beyond the edge of the Solar system could mean as much as 3 light years from Earth in some directions, or it could mean much closer = 1/10th light year, perhaps. Either way it would take 10 plus years to get there plus ten years to design and build a suitable craft to take two female astronauts a sperm bank and an embryo bank. At an average speed of 100,000 kilometers per hour, 10 million hours = travel time for 1/10 th light year. A big problem is your craft will accelerate toward the new sun after the half way point. A huge amount of fuel is needed to make a soft landing, on new Earth. Aero braking is not practical at speeds over about 50,000 kilometers per hour, and the space craft is badly deteriorated after almost 10 million hours, so most of the systems will not be repairable. Those numbers are optimistic about what is possible in ten years with a million times ten million dollars, including numerous bribes and awful ethics. If we wait until about 2060, much better technology may be available. Neil

N

neutrino78x

Actually if the target is 20 light-years away, and you are traveling near the speed of light (say 99% light) it will take 20 years to get there. 50 years would mean you are traveling less than half the speed of light.

--Brian

B

bdewoody

neutrino78x":dniljiml said:
Actually if the target is 20 light-years away, and you are traveling near the speed of light (say 99% light) it will take 20 years to get there. 50 years would mean you are traveling less than half the speed of light.

--Brian
A realistic speed is 10% of the speed of light (and even that is unobtainable with current technology) it would take over 200 years in spacecraft time to get there. How many more years here on earth I don't know but even if the pioneers sent a craft back to earth immediately over a thousand years here at home would have passed.

S

SteveCNC

Personally I'm hoping we find a brown dwarf system much closer than AC maybe within 3LY if we're lucky . If we did , any life there would most likely not be dependent on light for energy but life would still be possible under some conditions .

L

Last89er

I think we are going about this all wrong. If primitive life is what we are looking for, then the "Goldilocks" rule holds loosely. But intelligent life will have adapted far beyond what the environment originally allowed.

Take Methuselah for instance. Here we have a system which conceivably could have developed intelligent life over its ten billion year lifespan and saw far ahead what was coming. In fact, they could have manipulated the outcome, not just adapted.

There is intelligent life there. I know it, but no one is going to give me a ship to go visit. I have no idea what questions to ask in the presence of such being(ness).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts