Images from Titans Huygens Probe

Page 3 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rlb2

pachwork-2 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

pachwork-3 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

G

grooble

I think the images are absolutely stunning, it was a great acheivement just to get any at all.

R

rlb2

<font color="orange"> it was a great acheivement just to get any at all.<font color="white"><br /><br />The glow from Titans atmosphere provides enough light for any future probe to roam on its surface without <br />using as much energy to illuminate it. This will be valuable stuff for future Titan aerial or land rovers<br /> to see the surface with better equipment with a longer timeline.<br /><br /><font color="orange">When the probe landed, it was not with a thud, or a splash, but a 'splat'. It landed in Titanian 'mud'. <br /><br />"I think the biggest surprise is that we survived landing and that we lasted so long," said DISR team member<br /> Charles See. "There wasn't even a glitch at impact. That landing was a lot friendlier than we anticipated." <br /><br />DISR's downward-looking High Resolution Imager camera lens apparently accumulated some material,<br /> which suggests the probe may have settled into the surface. "Either that, or we steamed hydrocarbons off<br /> the surface and they collected onto the lens," said See. <br /><br /><font color="white">Here is a link to ESA desent images as the probe was landing.<br /><br />http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Cassini-Huygens/SEM5YW71Y3E_1.html</font></font></font></font> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

T

titanian

Here is a composite image comparing what we can call a panoramic view of a shoreline on Titan and a shoreline on Earth, the French Riviera, all black and white.<br /><br />www.titanexploration.com

V

voyagerwsh

Great works, RLB and folks. Thanks!<br /><br />It seems that Titan is right on the target of hydrocarbons slush and mud on its surface.

C

claywoman

I'm confused here and I'm probably seeing things...but in the first set of three, in the third one, almost in the middle, it looks to me like a volcano or a very straight up mountain? Okay...you 'space' experts tell me what I'm really seeing here...

R

rlb2

If its round or oval shaped it is probably something, artifacts can be round or oval, if its square it is <br />most likely pixel burnout. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

<font color="orange">It seems that Titan is right on the target of hydrocarbons slush and mud on its surface.<font color="white"> <br /><br />From what we are hearing it sure looks that way.<br /><br />Kind of makes you think doesn't it, Tardygrades would be right at home there. <br /><br />If something doesn't freeze into a solid state - can there still be life there????<br /><br />Here is a color image of the surface of Titan from three different cameras. I colorized all three images <br />from greyscale images at the same time. <br /><br />I'm still working on a sharper image.<br /> <br /></font></font> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

PIA07366_modest.5 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

PIA07367_modest.5 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

PIA07368_modest.5 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts