Images from Titans Huygens Probe

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rlb2

Original color image from ESA<br /><br />Picture7.3<br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

Picture3.5 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

Picture2_L <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

Cryovolcanism? <br /><br /><font color="orange">(regarding the 16km image) <br /><br />Hopefully the data can be mined for altimeter data which may support fluid flows due to gravity or <br />rule it out. <br /><br />What I see might also be successive layers built up due to cryovolcanism, where one organic goo layer builds <br />up upon another where the resemblance of river channels is due to subsequent layers not coinciding.<font color="white"><br /><br />Very good analogy. The scientific experiments will give more clues to what we are seeing. <br /><br />How cold is it? How dense is the atmosphere? Is it cold enough and dense enough to have liquid methane<br /> running on its surface? Is that white stuff we are seeing frozen CO2 or what. The images we saw <br />thus far aren't high quality resolution type, they are very low resolution type. The probe didn't have <br />much time to transmit back all the images it could within a short period of time. To transmit as many images <br />as possible they had to lower the resolution quite a bit on some of the images, hopefully not on all of them.<br /> Hopefully they can recover the A side of the lost data.<br /><br />The findings from the Huygens probe will make us want to go back for more.<br /><br /><font color="orange">This composite <font color="white">Picture 3.5<font color="orange"> was produced from images returned yesterday, January 14,<br /> 2005, by the European Space Agency's Huygens probe during its successful descent to land on Titan. It <br />shows a full 360-degree view around Huygens. The left-hand side, behind Huygens, shows a boundary<br /> between light and dark areas. The white streaks seen near this boundary could be ground 'fog,' as they <br />were not immediately visible from higher altitudes. <br /><br />As the probe descended, it drifted over a plateau (center of image) and was heading towards<br /> its landing site in a dark area (right). From the drift of the probe, the wind speed has been estimated at<br /> around 6-7 kilometers</font></font></font></font></font> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

S

soulseeker

So far I have been very disappointed with the images and the sounds, you can not really make anything out from the images and the sounds sound like nothing much more then static hopefully they will improve and get some higher resolution images released.

T

thermionic

Ah, you and Kaisern. Both quarks. Probably both trolls. Possibly related. Can't you recognize how extraordinary this is? Although I crave more (JIMO!!!) I am not dissapointed at all. I am stunned and delighted. They've got pictures which appear to show rivers, waves, oceans. They brought back sound for us. Static? It sounds like wind to me. Alien wind. Alien world. I don't know what else the spectrometers etc. will show. It's stupendous. And this is only the first day of looking at the data...

S

spayss

Disappointed!!! I'm astounded. When I think back to mission failures before the latest Mars successes we were all in a state of orney negativism.<br /><br /> Wow! These images are incredible. As for 'the sound'...what did you expect? Musak?

S

soulseeker

Don't get me wrong, I think it is awsome that we can sit at our PC's and view images from other worlds. As for the oceans and waves I have yet to hear that, but I am hoping that is what they are, myself I think the images show that but they are poor images to go by so I will wait and see if some better images come out. I really do not like being called a troll, I am not and never have been. I have been waiting for this for over 7 years like some others. I guess I am just dissapointed that they have not released more information and images.

V

vogon13

JPL site has described "fluvial" features at Huygens landing point , presumably from the undermined appearence of some of the stones/pebbles in the picture. Perhaps this is an amazingly lucky landing zone, a spot that may have been immersed in a flowing liquid that left clues to its' composition, viscosity, etc. Perhaps the stones/pebbles were rounded by the liquid flow. The stones further away seem more angular. Comments, please! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

S

silylene old

rlb2, or one of our other image processing experts, could you please try image stacking to improve image contrast?<br /><br />I am willing to bet that overlaying ("stacking") the dozens of near-identical available images (see mars.lyle.org) will do wonders to improve image sharpness. <br /><br />See for example, <br />http://members.optushome.com.au/ssmassey/vidast.html <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><em><font color="#0000ff">- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -</font></em> </div><div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><font color="#0000ff"><em>I really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function.</em></font> </div> </div>

R

rlb2

The images have to be taken with the same lenses without motion to have that done successfully or else<br /> it would look 3D-ish. <br /><br />I tried it here with identical images by taking three of the same images converting them to grayscale then<br /> adding them together though the RGB channels. I had to change the hue quite a bit and unsaturated it after<br /> I added contrast. These images are low quality images and there is a reason for that they had a very small<br /> window to transmit them and the scientific data back to Cassini. <br /><br />They should have much better images coming out soon.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

ESA<br /><br />Picture8 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

S

silylene old

rlb2, I am waiting for the mods to approve your pictures....*taps his finger in impatience*<br /><br />I do think stacking the surface pictures should work most easily, there are a couple of dozen surafce pictures, all photographed identically.<br /><br />Stacking the images as the probe floated downwards probably will require some morphing/stretching of the photos to exactly match the features, prior to stacking, because as you said, the camera was moving.<br /><br />Again, I wish I could see what you have done! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><em><font color="#0000ff">- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -</font></em> </div><div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><font color="#0000ff"><em>I really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function.</em></font> </div> </div>

R

rlb2

Here it is at a web-site I set up for this. It’s not much better quality than the original but I was able<br /> to sharpen and enlarge the image a little bit. It’s the same size as I posted here so it is medium resolution.<br />I'm still playing around with it to see what if I can improve on it.<br /><br />http://home.comcast.net/~saturn-images/Huygens-Probe.html<br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

S

serak_the_preparer

Rlb2 - just want to thank you for all the work you've done and the excellent pictures you've provided. A great contribution to this site, in my opinion. : )

R

rlb2

Thanks for your support. <br /><br />Here is a image I just added contrast to from an unknown amateur according to spaceref.com that<br /> looks pretty good. I adjusted the contrast and enlarged it only.<br /><br />http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.html?id=999<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

S

spacehappy

Wow. I visisted your web page now Titan is starting to look a lot better.

C

claywoman

RLB2,<br /><br />You are awesome man!!! Wow!!! I bet you could even make me look good but I think that would take more work then what you are doing now!!!<br /><br />These pictures are breathtaking....I cannot wait to see more...

R

rlb2

<font color="orange">Just a note of thanks, don't want your head to swell,<font color="white"><br /><br />I'm too old for my head to swell anymore, in fact it is shrinking the older I get.<br /><br />spacehappy, rogers_buck, par72, claywoman<br /> <br />Thanks for the support and the kudos.<br /><br />Here is another just released image from ESA I colorized etc. The second image I darkened even <br />more to bring out the details in the light areas.<br /><br />esa_release_050117_H.5<br /></font></font> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

esa_release_050117_H.7 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

S

serak_the_preparer

Rlb2, the support is well-deserved.<br /><br />Regarding the image you located via Spaceref, Anthony Liekens has posted<br /> Amateur compositions of Huygens and Re: Amateur compositions of Huygens<br />to the Cassini/Huygens Mission Update Thread, as well. Also, according to <br />Anthony's site, your amateur looks to be Christian Waldvogel.<br /><br />About this truly alien scene you've provided us, does it look to you as though<br />vast waves are washing past what appears to be a cape in the background?

R

robnissen

Like everyone else here, I would like to thank Rlb2 for the great job he does with the photos. Speaking of which, there are 367 triplett photos from the landing now available at the UA web site:<br />http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~kholso/triplets1.htm <br /><br /><br />I believe, although I am not sure, that this is all the pictures that were transmitted. The pictures are astounding. For example, its hard to believe this is not a river delta:<br />http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~kholso/images/jpeg2/triplet.564.jpg

R

rlb2

Thanks for the links everyone. I took some of the images at arizona and came up with these. They <br />are some artifacts in the images and there all raw images so look at them at your own risk.<br /><br />pachwork-1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts