Images of Mars

Page 30 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rlb2

1P153839258EFFL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

1P153839258EFFL5M1.5 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

1P153927505EFFL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

1P153928008EFFL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

1P153928008EFFL5M1.5 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

1P154016405EFFL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

1P154016968EFFL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

1P154105745EFFL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

1P154108834ESFL4M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

1P154108281ESFL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

1P154106294EFFL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

New Spirits elevation map. I enlarged it and added contrast. <br /><br /><font color="orange">The blue area represents the basaltic plains on the floor of Gusev Crater, about 20 meters <br />(66 feet) below the rover's present location. Spirit crossed those plains for several months after <br />landing to the west, off the left edge of this image. The greenish-blue area is the "West Spur" of <br />the "Columbia Hills," which Spirit reached on sol 156 (June 11, 2004). Since then, Spirit has been <br />gradually ascending the slopes of the "West Spur" in an east-northeasterly direction. Southeast of<br /> the rover's current position is a brighter green area that represents an abrupt increase in slope <br />where the "West Spur" meets the steeper flanks of the "Columbia Hills." The yellow and red areas<br /> represent the highest slopes and peaks. A steep valley east of the rover's location appears, from orbiter<br /> images, to have layered outcrops. Scientists are directing the rover to a ridge overlooking the <br />valley to get a better look at what lies ahead. <br /><br />http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/press/spirit/20041207a.html<br /></font> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

S

Swampcat

Hey, rlb2, have you gotten settled into your new digs?<br /><br />-----------------<br /><br />Oppy, Sol 293 (L2, L5 & L7 filters): <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="3" color="#ff9900"><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>------------------------------------------------------------------- </em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. Unsuccessful rebellions, indeed, generally establish the encroachments on the rights of the people which have produced them. An observation of this truth should render honest republican governors so mild in their punishment of rebellions as not to discourage them too much. It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government."</em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong>Thomas Jefferson</strong></font></p></font> </div>

S

Swampcat

Oppy, Sol 294 (L2, L5 & L7 filters): <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="3" color="#ff9900"><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>------------------------------------------------------------------- </em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. Unsuccessful rebellions, indeed, generally establish the encroachments on the rights of the people which have produced them. An observation of this truth should render honest republican governors so mild in their punishment of rebellions as not to discourage them too much. It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government."</em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong>Thomas Jefferson</strong></font></p></font> </div>

S

Swampcat

Oppy, also from Sol 294 (L2, L5 & L7 filters): <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="3" color="#ff9900"><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>------------------------------------------------------------------- </em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. Unsuccessful rebellions, indeed, generally establish the encroachments on the rights of the people which have produced them. An observation of this truth should render honest republican governors so mild in their punishment of rebellions as not to discourage them too much. It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government."</em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong>Thomas Jefferson</strong></font></p></font> </div>

F

farmerman

Wow! great images rlb2. If this crater was on earth, I'd say there was some water erosion in these pictures. All the sediment on the bottom is a result of water washing down the sides of the crater and pooling on the bottom of the crater.

R

rlb2

I see you have been busy, I like looking at your work, it looks very smooth. <br /><br />I haven't settled yet but I am using Phoenix Public library to download my images. <br /><br />I am glad to see that the rovers are still working. They may complete a Martian year and even break <br />the Vikings record for endurance. This will keep us busy for a long time.<br /><br />Here is another map of Spirits trek through” The Hills" I increased the contrast and enlarged it a bit.<br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

<font color="orange"> I'd say there was some water erosion in these pictures. All the sediment on the bottom is a <br />result of water washing down the sides of the crater and pooling on the bottom of the crater. <font color="white"><br /><br />I agree, it sure does look that way???<br /></font></font> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

Some of the "Hills"<br /><br />2P154863736EFFL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P154862728EFFL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P155212775EFFL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P155213335EFFL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

2P155214327EFFL5M1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>