Images of Mars

Page 5 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

silylene old

<i>Here is a partial B/W view of the plains from the top of the hills. <br /></i><br /><br />Those are interesting wind-blown streaks from the boulders and craters on the plains. I remember seeing similar streaks from the orbital photos. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><em><font color="#0000ff">- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -</font></em> </div><div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><font color="#0000ff"><em>I really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function.</em></font> </div> </div>

T

thechemist

This is the last complete RAT from Oppy, at its previous position.<br />At the moment it has/is RATing a new one lower in the crater.<br />This RATed hole is so bright, that although this is an L456 image, the saturation has distorted completely the colours.<br />The original images. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em>I feel better than James Brown.</em> </div>

T

thechemist

This is rlb2's above image of the dunes using L456 for the RGB chanels.<br /> Original images. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em>I feel better than James Brown.</em> </div>

S

spacechump

Chemist, I adjusted your dunes image to "approximate color".<br /><br />

R

rlb2

We are getting closer to the dunes, now we can see more detail on how they were sculpted.<br /><br />Here is the top of the Columbia Hill's West Spur images.<br /><br />08-03-04-2N144577475EFF8200P <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

08-03-04-2N144480487EFF8100P <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

Here is another image similar to the one you posted on looking out from the top of the hills towards the plains.<br /><br />08-03-04-2N144479995EFF8100P <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

I just saw your posted image, sharpened it and added contrast. Here is what I got. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

S

spacechump

rlb2 is the general consensus that the soil at Endurance a grayish red? Or is it more grayish tan? I'm having much more trouble making Oppy's site look "correct" then I am Spirit's.

S

spacechump

Disregarding true color for a moment here's a combination of filters R7, R6 and R5 showing the differences in infrared absorption.

S

Swampcat

<font color="yellow">"rlb2 is the general consensus that the soil at Endurance a grayish red? Or is it more grayish tan? I'm having much more trouble making Oppy's site look "correct" then I am Spirit's."</font><br /><br />As someone who has studied this issue for almost as long as the MER images have been available, I would suggest that the best guide we have concerning the actual color of the Martian regolith comes from the images put out by JPL. They are the only ones with the data that allows for proper adjustment of the raw composites. I am, of course, assuming that JPL uses this data when creating their "approximate true color" images. The "approximate true color" images that I have produced (some of which can be seen earlier in this thread) are based on my study of the color content of JPL's images and tend to be quite reddish -- as would be expected for a planet covered with iron oxide fines. There is often a gray component due to the berries and other minerals.<br /><br />Below is my version of the Endurance Dunes for comparison to those already posted. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="3" color="#ff9900"><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>------------------------------------------------------------------- </em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. Unsuccessful rebellions, indeed, generally establish the encroachments on the rights of the people which have produced them. An observation of this truth should render honest republican governors so mild in their punishment of rebellions as not to discourage them too much. It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government."</em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong>Thomas Jefferson</strong></font></p></font> </div>

S

Swampcat

Approximate true color image of Oppy's latest RAT hole: <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="3" color="#ff9900"><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>------------------------------------------------------------------- </em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. Unsuccessful rebellions, indeed, generally establish the encroachments on the rights of the people which have produced them. An observation of this truth should render honest republican governors so mild in their punishment of rebellions as not to discourage them too much. It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government."</em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong>Thomas Jefferson</strong></font></p></font> </div>

R

rlb2

<font color="orange">rlb2 is the general consensus that the soil at Endurance a grayish red? Or is it more grayish <br />tan? I'm having much more trouble making Oppy's site look "correct" then I am Spirit's. <font color="white"><br /><br />Oppy is a hard one to get down just right because it is a darker site than spirits. Don't know if you <br />can please everyone with what you present here because every computer monitor is set differently. <br />I get different shades of color and brightness from my office computer monitor to my home monitor. <br /><br />Generally speaking I would have to go with swampcat on this. JPL are the so called experts on what <br />color filters they use and how that changes with different lighting effects, however they did coin<br /> the phrase blue berries when it turns out that the sperules are more a grey color because the type<br /> of hematite found in them. The rovers weren’t meant to operate this long, don't know how much dust <br />is on there lenses but there more recent images aren't as sharp as there first images. Here is part of <br />one of their pan views of the dunes from atop of Endurance crater. <br /><br />It's like looking through a hazy fog. <br /><br /></font></font> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

Now here is a view of the same dunes after adding contrast and it is brightened up a bit, so you can see it better. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

S

spacechump

I also notice they seem to change the color scheme depending on the amount of light and where the sun is in the sky (I guess to show how dust in the atmosphere affect viewing).<br /><br /><i>Oppy is a hard one to get down just right because it is a darker site than spirits. Don't know if you<br />can please everyone with what you present here because every computer monitor is set differently.<br />I get different shades of color and brightness from my office computer monitor to my home monitor. </i><br /><br />I didn't think of that. What looks good to me might not look right to someone else.<br /><br />I guess we'll just keep plugging away huh.<br /><br />btw rlb2 what filter images did you use to crate the false image of the dunes that look purplish...did you jump up to the near UV realm?

R

rlb2

<font color="orange">I am very tempted to post some of my favorite <font color="orange">Andy Warhol pictures.<font color="white"><br /><br />Are you sure Andy isn't working for ESA. Here are some images that I sharpend and added contrast <br />only to, from the Mars Express.<br /><br />http://www.esrin.esa.it/export/SPECIALS/Mars_Express/<br /></font></font></font> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

Some more of the large image posted by ESA. <br /><br />08-03-04-032-060404-0097-6-<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

More images <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

More ESA <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

Post deleted by rlb2 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

Top of Columbia Hills <br /><br />8-4-4-2P144570904EFF8100P23<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

8-4-4-2P144570953EFF8100P2397R <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

8-4-4-2P144570877EFF8100P23 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

R

rlb2

8-4-4-2P144570850EFF8100P23 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

A

abq_farside

<i>Are you sure Andy isn't working for ESA. Here are some images that I sharpend and added contrast <br />only to, from the Mars Express. <br />http://www.esrin.esa.it/export/SPECIALS/Mars_Express/<br /></i><br /><br />I have seen some of these images from Mars Express and have wondered what would cause the green coloring? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><em><font size="1" color="#000080">Don't let who you are keep you from becoming who you want to be!</font></em></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts