Is Chess a science, or just good scientific training?

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
Since we have a PC games section I hope this topic will be allowed, on the basis that there can be no other game combining logical deduction and planning with an understanding of space (OK, not that kind of space),and helping to understand the scientific method. (Apologies if I have upset any Bridge players). You have experiments to run and laws to understand.

For those who do not want to (or are not conveniently able to) find an opponent, you can play against your computer (selecting your own level - even if that means you always win) or you can spend many happy hours playing through the games of the Masters - there are hundreds of such books.

Have you any thoughts, for or against, or maybe I have kindled an interest?

Cat :)

COLGeek

Anything that encourages critical thinking is good for the furthering of science and space based discussions.

Strategy, considering short and long term consequences, and how to achieve desired end states are beneficial to intellectual growth for all.

♟️♟️♟️

I offer the following to fuel the conversation:

Last edited:

Catastrophe

I love to play chess.
That is interesting. I would have thought you would be very good.
Have you seen how games are recorded, so that you can replay games of the masters? With an 8 x 8 chess board I bet you can see what e2-e4 might mean.
I have not played a human now for decades but I really love playing master games. Some are so artistic or so clever, or both, they can be breathtaking.
Some do not replay master games - they just like winning ;)

Reactions: IG2007

Catastrophe

COLGeek,
I have started going through that material you posted. There is certainly a lot there. How did you come across Chessable? I was interested to see that it has been bought by World Champion Magnus Carlsen, who already had the company Play Magnus AS. From being a prodigy and, I think, longest at holding the title he seems to be making a business career. Must be nice to combine your hobby with your job. I will continue reading. Thanks, Cat.

Feb 7, 2020
Visit site
our childhood में तो we saw one gata kamsky who was top who is not around in popular list today and of course viswanathan anand is always there ...
but the all time great was garry kasparov !

IG2007

"Don't criticize what you can't understand..."
That is interesting. I would have thought you would be very good.
Have you seen how games are recorded, so that you can replay games of the masters? With an 8 x 8 chess board I bet you can see what e2-e4 might mean.
I have not played a human now for decades but I really love playing master games. Some are so artistic or so clever, or both, they can be breathtaking.
Some do not replay master games - they just like winning ;)
I guess you mean to move the second to the left pawn in the first move steps ahead, am I right? I haven't played chess for about 4 months. Lol

Catastrophe

I guess you mean to move the second to the left pawn in the first move steps ahead, am I right? I haven't played chess for about 4 months. Lol
Take your 8 x 8 board. a is left through h on right. From your side to other side goes 1 (where your pieces are) to 8 (where opponents pieces are). This has nothing to do with the actual game of chess, of course, it is just a way of describing each square with its own name. So a2-a3 means move whatever is on a2 (which is a pawn) to a3. So d is the queens file and your queen starts on d1 and opponents queen on d8. Just one way of describing moves.
You only need it if you want to record your games or if you play back Masters' games, which I do all the time.

Reactions: IG2007

Latest posts