Is It Just Me, Or Are Most Of The Nasa Websites M.I.A?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mattblack

For the last three days, I honestly cannot connect with the homepages for KSC, JSC, JPL or the Exploration Systems websites.<br /><br />Does anyone know what's going on?! <br /><br /> />>The page cannot be displayed <br />The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings. <br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /><br />Please try the following:<br /><br />Click the Refresh button, or try again later.<br /><br />If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.<br /><br />To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). <br />See if your Internet connection settings are being detected. You can set Microsoft Windows to examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings (if your network administrator has enabled this setting). <br />Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. <br />On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings. <br />Select Automatically detect settings, and then click OK. <br />Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed. <br />If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0. <br />Click the Back button to try another link. <br /><<<<<<<<<<<< <br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>One Percent of Federal Funding For Space: America <strong><em><u>CAN</u></em></strong> Afford it!!  LEO is a <strong><em>Prison</em></strong> -- It's time for a <em><strong>JAILBREAK</strong></em>!!</p> </div>

H

henryhallam

I think it might just be you, I'm afraid! They all work fine for me... are you connected from work or at home? It might be a DNS issue. Unfortunately these things are quite hard to diagnose.

M

mattblack

Connected from home, and it's been a problem connecting only to Nasa sites the last 3 days. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>One Percent of Federal Funding For Space: America <strong><em><u>CAN</u></em></strong> Afford it!!  LEO is a <strong><em>Prison</em></strong> -- It's time for a <em><strong>JAILBREAK</strong></em>!!</p> </div>

E

earth_bound_misfit

They are working for me too sorry to say Matt. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p><p>----------------------------------------------------------------- </p><p>Wanna see this site looking like the old SDC uplink?</p><p>Go here to see how: <strong>SDC Eye saver </strong>  </p> </div>

T

telfrow

I've had no problems with any of the sites. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <strong><font color="#3366ff">Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find and not to yeild.</font> - <font color="#3366ff"><em>Tennyson</em></font></strong> </div>

S

soyuztma

I'm having the same problem. A week ago i noticed i couldn't connect to any Nasa web page. I also have no idea what is causing this problem , but it seems its some strange connection problem. I now use Anonymouse to get to a Nasa website. But it is rather annoying to have to use Anonymouse, it generates some annoying banners and it is very slow. (If you go to the Nasa website, go directly to the homepage because Anonymouse has some problems with Flash.) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

mlorrey

Getting to old information tends to be hard, I find, with NASA sites. Any time I see a link on a non-NASA website referencing a NASA webpage, I can count on it, 95%+ of the time, to be a dead link. NASA should have some sort of old link redirect index server.

M

mattblack

Okay; working now. I've been instructed to reset my DNS server settings and that's done it. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>One Percent of Federal Funding For Space: America <strong><em><u>CAN</u></em></strong> Afford it!!  LEO is a <strong><em>Prison</em></strong> -- It's time for a <em><strong>JAILBREAK</strong></em>!!</p> </div>

C

CalliArcale

DNS problems are weird and hard to diagnose because what'll usually happen is that only <i>some</i> websites will vanish. If you know their actual IP addresses, you can still get through fine, but not through the domain names.<br /><br />DNS stands for Domain Name Server. It's a computer that tells your computer what IP address goes with what domain name. This is important not only because IP addresses are hard to remember, but also because they tend to change. (It's more expensive to get a static IP address than a dynamic IP address.) Your Internet Service Provider will maintain or otherwise provide access to a set of DNS machines. They may allow your computer to automatically discover them; otherwise, they may require that you put a specific one (or a list of several specific ones) into your computer's Internet settings.<br /><br />If one of those DNSes goes down, you'll suddenly be unable to access any of the sites for which it maintained IP address mappings. But if there's more than one DNS that your computer can reach, you may still be able to get at other sites just fine, making things look very odd. You may also end up being able to get in, but some sites being peculiarly slow. Compounding the issue, this can also be something beyond your ISP's control, out on the Internet, where DNS servers around the world pass information to one another and keep one another updated. If the chain breaks down at any point, things may get slower as requests are automatically rerouted around the problem, or requests may fail altogether. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

M

mattblack

Thanks, Calli!! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>One Percent of Federal Funding For Space: America <strong><em><u>CAN</u></em></strong> Afford it!!  LEO is a <strong><em>Prison</em></strong> -- It's time for a <em><strong>JAILBREAK</strong></em>!!</p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts