Is the Earth's Magnetic Field Reversing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DengarReturns

<p><font size="2" color="#993366">Does anyone have any information on whether the Earth's magnetic field is in the process of reversing?&nbsp; </font></p><p><font size="2" color="#993366">And if so, does this mean that perhaps our current low magnetic field could be indicitive of a reversal?&nbsp; </font></p><p><font size="2" color="#993366">Also, does&nbsp;anyone&nbsp;know, with any degree of certainty, exactly what would happen in such an event?&nbsp; Would it be the inner core rotating, or the entire planet, or both??&nbsp; And would this affect life on the planet, and if so, how?</font>&nbsp; </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

O

origin

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Does anyone have any information on whether the Earth's magnetic field is in the process of reversing?&nbsp; And if so, does this mean that perhaps our current low magnetic field could be indicitive of a reversal?</DIV>&nbsp; </p><p>The Wikipedia has&nbsp;some generally accurate info on this: &nbsp;http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagnetic_reversal&nbsp;.</p><span><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">At present, the overall geomagnetic field is becoming weaker at a rate which would, if it continues, cause the dipole field to temporarily collapse by 3000&ndash;4000 AD.</font></font></span> <p>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Also, does&nbsp;anyone&nbsp;know, with any degree of certainty, exactly what would happen in such an event?&nbsp; Would it be the inner core rotating, or the entire planet, or both??</DIV></p><p>I am not sure what you are saying here.&nbsp; The&nbsp;magnetic poles currently are wandering about 10 km per year.&nbsp; In a pole reversal the magnetic field basically deceases away and dissappers and then after a period&nbsp;it begins to get stronger&nbsp;with the north magnetic pole in the south and the south magnetic pole in the&nbsp;north.&nbsp; Niether the earth as a whole or the core of the earth will rotate any differently.&nbsp; You would never know it was happening except your compass would become useless.</p><p>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>And would this affect life on the planet, and if so, how?&nbsp; <br />Posted by DengarReturns</DIV></p><p style="margin:0in0in0pt" class="MsoNormal"><span><font face="Times New Roman" size="3"><em>from the wki article:</em>&nbsp;</font></span></p><p style="margin:0in0in0pt" class="MsoNormal"><span><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">Some speculate that a greatly diminished magnetic field during a reversal period will expose the surface of the earth to a substantial and potentially damaging increase in cosmic radiation</font><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">. However, <em>Homo Erectus </em>and their ancestors certainly survived many previous reversals. There is no uncontested evidence that a magnetic field reversal has ever caused any biological extinctions.</font></span></p><p><br />Hope this answers your questions...</p><p style="margin:0in0in0pt" class="MsoNormal"><span><font size="3"></font></span></p><span><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman"></font></font></span>&nbsp; <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

DengarReturns

<p><font size="2" color="#993366">Um...No.&nbsp; Not really.&nbsp; </font></p><p><font size="2" color="#993366">&nbsp;Not at all, really.&nbsp; </font></p><p><font size="2" color="#993366">-Thanks though.&nbsp; But no it doesn't.</font>&nbsp; </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

DengarReturns

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9803E3DD1E3BF930A25754C0A9629C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=print <br />Posted by nimbus</DIV></p><p><font size="2"><font color="#993366">I</font><font color="#993366">nteresting</font></font><font color="#993366"><font size="2"> article.</font>&nbsp; </font></p><p><font color="#993366"><font size="2">However, the section cited below seems to suggest that the magnetic field reversal will be, or could possibly even now be a contributing factor to what scientists are calling the Global Warming effect, does it not?&nbsp; </font>&nbsp; </font></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">"Among other things, the field's collapse, scientists say, could let in bursts of radiation, causing a variety of disruptions. </font></p><p><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Dr. Charles H. Jackman, an atmospheric scientist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md., has worked with European colleagues on a computer model that mimics the repercussions. A weak field, they reported in December, could let solar storms pummel the atmosphere with enough radiation to destroy significant amounts of the ozone that protects the Earth from harmful ultraviolet light. </font></p><p><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Ultraviolet radiation, the short, invisible rays from the sun, can harm some life forms, depress crop yields and raise cancer rates, causing skin cancer and cataracts in humans. Dr. Jackman said that the ozone damage from any one solar storm could heal naturally in two to three years but that the protective layer would stay vulnerable to new bursts of radiation as long as the Earth's magnetic field remained weak." </font></p><p><font size="2"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color="#7f003f">-This seems to suggest that the magnetic field reversing will be, or could possibly be now a contributing factor to what scientists are calling the Global Warming effect.</font> </font></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

O

origin

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Interesting article.&nbsp; However, the section cited below seems to suggest that the magnetic field reversal will be, or could possibly even now be a contributing factor to what scientists are calling the Global Warming effect, does it not?</DIV></p><p>The magnetic field is doing just fine right now so it is separate from the global warming.&nbsp; I'm afraid we will have to take most of the credit for global warming ourselves.</p><p><br /><br />&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

DengarReturns

<p><font size="2" color="#993366"><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>The magnetic field is doing just fine right now so it is separate from the global warming.&nbsp; I'm afraid we will have to take most of the credit for global warming ourselves.&nbsp; <br />Posted by origin</DIV><br /><br /></font></p><p><font size="2" color="#993366">'The collapse of the Earth's magnetic field, which both guards the planet and guides many of its creatures, appears to have started in earnest about 150 years ago. The field's strength has waned 10 to 15 percent, and the deterioration has accelerated of late, increasing debate over whether it portends a reversal of the lines of magnetic force that normally envelop the Earth.'</font></p><p><font size="2" color="#993366">'Although a total flip may be hundreds or thousands of years away, the rapid decline in magnetic strength is already damaging satellites.' </font></p><p><font size="2" color="#993366">'Some experts suggest a reversal is overdue. ''The fact that it's dropping so rapidly gives you pause,'' said Dr. John A. Tarduno, a professor of geophysics at the University of Rochester. ''It looks like things we see in computer models of a reversal.''' </font></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p><font size="2" color="#993366">'Dr. Charles H. Jackman, an atmospheric scientist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md., has worked with European colleagues on a computer model that mimics the repercussions. A weak field, they reported in December, could let solar storms pummel the atmosphere with enough radiation to destroy significant amounts of the ozone that protects the Earth from harmful ultraviolet light. </font></p><p><font size="2" color="#993366">Ultraviolet radiation, the short, invisible rays from the sun, can harm some life forms, depress crop yields and raise cancer rates, causing skin cancer and cataracts in humans. Dr. Jackman said that the ozone damage from any one solar storm could heal naturally in two to three years but that the protective layer would stay vulnerable to new bursts of radiation as long as the Earth's magnetic field remained weak. </font></p><p><font size="2" color="#993366">''It would be significant'' in terms of planetary repercussions, he said in an interview, ''but not catastrophic.'' High levels of ultraviolet radiation would spread down from polar regions as far south as Florida.' </font></p><p><font size="2" color="#993366">'The current collapse drew wide scientific attention on April 11, 2002, when Nature, the British journal, published a major paper that detailed its growing weakness. Dr. Hulot and colleagues at the Institut de Physique du Globe de Paris, where he works, as well as the Danish Space Research Institute, called the large drop remarkable. </font></p><p><font size="2" color="#993366">They found it by comparing readings made in 1979 and 1980 by the American Magsat satellite with measurements by the Danish Oersted satellite, launched in 1999 and still operating. In particular, Dr. Hulot and his team discovered a north polar region and a spot below South Africa where the magnetism is growing extremely weak. </font></p><p><font size="2" color="#993366">The finding drew wide attention because the magnetic anomalies seemed consistent with what the computer simulations identified as the possible beginnings of a flip. </font></p><p><font size="2" color="#993366">''We postulate,'' Dr. Hulot and his co-authors wrote, that the new evidence reflects how ''the geodynamo operates before reversing.'' </font></p><p><font size="2" color="#993366">In an interview, he said that the field's southern spot was 30 percent weaker than elsewhere and that some satellites passing over it had already suffered electronic malfunctions when highly charged particles from the sun were able to penetrate the weakened magnetic shield.'</font></p><p><font size="2" color="#993366">'Dr. Tarduno said that practical effects on things like satellites and the ozone layer would be the same no matter whether the field reversed or simply weakened and bounced back. A major collapse of the Earth's magnetic shield, he added, could let speeding particles penetrate deeper into the atmosphere to widely knock out power grids, as solar storms do occasionally.'</font></p><p><font size="2" color="#993366">'''It will be interesting to see what's going to happen in that South Atlantic anomaly,'' he said. ''If you want to keep satellites flying, you want to know if the situation is going to deteriorate.''' </font></p><p><font size="2" color="#993366">-Excerpts from article:&nbsp; <u>Will Compasses Point South</u>?, New York Times </font></p><p><font size="2" color="#993366">(Link to story provided by Nimbus.)&nbsp; </font></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

A

adriank888

You might be interested in this paper.

Climate Change and the Earth's Magnetic Poles, A Possible Connection
Author: Kerton, Adrian K.
Source: Energy & Environment, Volume 20, Numbers 1-2, January 2009 , pp. 75-83(9)
Publisher: Multi-Science Publishing Co Ltd

Abstract:
Many natural mechanisms have been proposed for climate change during the past millennia, however, none of these appears to have accounted for the change in global temperature seen over the second half of the last century. As such the rise in temperature has been attributed to man made mechanisms. Analysis of the movement of the Earth's magnetic poles over the last 105 years demonstrates strong correlations between the position of the north magnetic, and geomagnetic poles, and both northern hemisphere and global temperatures. Although these correlations are surprising, a statistical analysis shows there is a less than one percent chance they are random, but it is not clear how movements of the poles affect climate. Links between changes in the Earth's magnetic field and climate change, have been proposed previously although the exact mechanism is disputed. These include: The Earth's magnetic field affects the energy transfer rates from the solar wind to the Earth's atmosphere which in turn affects the North Atlantic Oscillation. Movement of the poles changes the geographic distribution of galactic and solar cosmic rays, moving them to particularly climate sensitive areas. Changes in distribution of ultraviolet rays resulting from the movement of the magnetic field, may result in increases in the death rates of carbon sinking oceanic plant life such as phytoplankton.

Keywords: MAGNETIC POLES; DRIFT; CLIMATE; COSMIC RAYS

Document Type: Research article

DOI: 10.1260/095830509787689286

O

origin

Welcome to SDC. I went to your website and looked at the 'normalized' graph you had showing the global temp tracking with the movement of the north pole in longitude and latitude. I noticed that the longitude and the latitude tracked together. In reality the North magnetic pole is moving in a much more northerly route than a westerly route. This indicates to me that you normalized the latitude differently than the longitude. This presents a problem in that incorrectly normalizing values can lead to an incorrect conclusion. Do you have the raw data that you normilized? This would help me to understand your normilizing rational.

A

adriank888

Hi Origin,

Yes I can supply the data in Excel format, the normalisation is the same and I was surprised that the longitude correlated more closely than latitude.

Email me via my website and I will send you the data.
Regards
Adrian

X

xXTheOneRavenXx

I thought there was evidence collected of magnetic pole reversals via metals found in rocks along volcanic fault lines. As the poles changed, so did the magnetics of these metals. I'll post more in detail later. At work at the moment on lunch break.

There have been studies conducted of lava flows in such places as Steens Mountain, Oregon. This particular study indicated that the magnetic field could have shifted at a rate of up to 6 degrees per day at some time in Earth's history.

This has been found to be consistent, by measuring magnetism across ocean ridges. The molten lava (typically basalt or tholeiite) is extruded from volcanoes and then cools to adopt whatever magnetic field was present at the time. As time goes on more lava flows and bands of opposite magnetic fields are made present.

For those interested in the monitoring of the magnetic field: http://geomag.usgs.gov/

Such evidence has been collected supporting the magnetic field reversals from Natural Resources Canada:
http://gsc.nrcan.gc.ca/geomag/nmp/reversals_e.php
This article also indicate that these reversals are irregular. There are a few theories as to what type of transition the magnetic field goes through for reversal to occur.

M

MeteorWayne

That's correct. Magnetic reversals are tracked most clearly by the magnetic fields recorded in the seafloor as it is extruded from spreading sea floor centers. The field is preserved on both sides as the material moves away from the extrusion line.

X

xXTheOneRavenXx

I added a few URL's to the above post to help people review this research.

S

sentrynox

In geology, the magnetic field reversal is part of a natural cycle of our planet core, but more and more evidence point out that it also correlate with another cycle, which is our solar system course toward the gravitational plane of our galaxy.
We are currently heading toward this gravitational plane and expect to reach it in early 2013. If so, then I can't imagine what would be the consequences of such huge gravitational influence on all our planet and even on our solar system (that is warming up too...).

In my opinion we are headed toward a big mess, but again this is just me! So for me, seeing a reversal of our magnetic field would just be a sign that other things will happen.

http://www.livescience.com/space/070423_cosmic_evo.html
Our solar system evolving toward our galactic plane

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/06/080630-earth-core.html
Earth core spinning faster (not a good sign if you ask me)

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/08/24/MNS5RNAVQ.DTL&type=science
Uranus rings rotating (potentially marking the influence on our space and time fabric caused by gravitational waves)

http://www.gsfc.nasa.gov/topstory/20020801gravityfield.html
Changes in our gravitational field detected (which isn't a good news in itself)

M

MeteorWayne

sentrynox":2q4q1g6t said:
In geology, the magnetic field reversal is part of a natural cycle of our planet core, but more and more evidence point out that it also correlate with another cycle, which is our solar system course toward the gravitational plane of our galaxy.
We are currently heading toward this gravitational plane and expect to reach it in early 2013. If so, then I can't imagine what would be the consequences of such huge gravitational influence on all our planet and even on our solar system (that is warming up too...).

In my opinion we are headed toward a big mess, but again this is just me! So for me, seeing a reversal of our magnetic field would just be a sign that other things will happen.

http://www.livescience.com/space/070423_cosmic_evo.html
Our solar system evolving toward our galactic plane

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/06/080630-earth-core.html
Earth core spinning faster (not a good sign if you ask me)

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/08/24/MNS5RNAVQ.DTL&type=science
Uranus rings rotating (potentially marking the influence on our space and time fabric caused by gravitational waves)

http://www.gsfc.nasa.gov/topstory/20020801gravityfield.html
Changes in our gravitational field detected (which isn't a good news in itself)

Again, this is the Physics forum.
Please show how any of this is related to the earth's magnetic field reversing.

Gravity is unrelated to the earth's geodynamo. Unless you have a mechanism to demonstrate.

These pseudoscientific assertions will not be tolerated much longer here in the Physics forum without physics related support, not a bunch of unrelated web pages.

Your first link is bad, so I have no idea of what you are talking about, please try again.

Of what possible significance could changes in the Uranian ring system have to do with the earth's magnetic field?

You last link is to an article from 7 year ago, when we first began to have satellite measurements of the earth's gravitational field in detail. Please use some information form the last 5 years or so. First data bits can be very confusing; we have a much better understanding now....

M

Mee_n_Mac

sentrynox":1qsljml7 said:

I think you are very misinformed. First any alignment with the galactic plane that supposed to bring some odd forces to bear on us is crap. Read here and find out that such an alignment happened a while ago and we're still here aren't we.

http://www.earthsky.org/faq/will-earth- ... ne-in-2012

Can you offer any reasoning why the galaxies gravitational pull will vary much between now and 2013 ? Why would you call it "huge" ?

FWIW if that alignment isn't the one that concerns you and your fear is passing through the galactic plane then read the comments in the URL above. That myth is debunked there as well. We are above the galactic plane and headed away from it. Musta dodged a bullet ehhhh ..... :roll:

S

sentrynox

New link is here:
http://www.livescience.com/space/scienceastronomy/070423_cosmic_evo.html

I forgot how difficult it is to bind peoples mind in order for them to see a larger picture of things... My bad I guess!

Those events are all related in a way, and I am far from being misinformed! The internet do not say it all and it won't unless you can prove the contrary.
Anyhow there isn't pseudo science here, just evidences!

Our planet core could spin faster if the space and time fabric of our solar system was stretched to a certain level (I do not have this information right now). A little bit like when an ice skater is closing is arms around his body to increase its revolution speed. In this case the denser the body, the more it will accelerate (in this case our core is the one that shows the greater density, therefore the greater acceleration).

As for the Uranus rings, the relation is simple and direct, but I fear that I need to show you a certain diagram to make you understand the relationship. But in essence, the relation is that if you bent the space and time fabric of a solar system, the orbits will rise accordingly, and this phenomenon is seen in the rings of Uranus, which form a kind of solid ring instead of an orbital trajectory...
Not sure I explain well here, but if you have a paper sheet and reproduce our solar system, you will see that we won't be capable to see evidence of a gravitational pull on our orbits unless they form a kind of solid permanent ring that will show the bending!

Anyhow, if you can't see the links then, just ban me from trying to explain things here! I won't mind as I tried my best in a language that isn't mine!

But before you kick me out, you should look at this one and ask yourself some questions...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/1332368.stm

And another link that show the current situation of our solar system, minus some information that aren't discussed there.
http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA04927

Now, my question... Where are we headed like this??

M

MeteorWayne

sentrynox":f9fvs2o9 said:

Thanx, that was interesting, though as noted only an idea at this time. However it has NOTHING to do with the subject of this thread, which is the earth's magnetic field.

Those events are all related in a way, and I am far from being misinformed! The internet do not say it all and it won't unless you can prove the contrary.

If it's not pseudoscience, then provide at least some support, not unrelated links.

Our planet core could spin faster if the space and time fabric of our solar system was stretched to a certain level (I do not have this information right now).
I suspect you don't have it at all :)

As for the Uranus rings, the relation is simple and direct, but I fear that I need to show you a certain diagram to make you understand the relationship. But in essence, the relation is that if you bent the space and time fabric of a solar system, the orbits will rise accordingly, and this phenomenon is seen in the rings of Uranus, which form a kind of solid ring instead of an orbital trajectory...
Not sure I explain well here, but if you have a paper sheet and reproduce our solar system, you will see that we won't be capable to see evidence of a gravitational pull on our orbits unless they form a kind of solid permanent ring that will show the bending!

If it's simple and direct then state it simply and directly, not with a paragraph of gibberish.

Anyhow, if you can't see the links then, just ban me from trying to explain things here! I won't mind as I tried my best in a language that isn't mine!

I'm not looking to ban you, but if you are going to post here at SDC you must
1.Stick to the topic of a thread, or start your own
2. Stick to the subject in the different forums, this is Physics, not "stuff I say, but can't demonstrate why all of physics is wrong"

M

MeteorWayne

sentrynox":2rl9tch0 said:
But before you kick me out, you should look at this one and ask yourself some questions...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/1332368.stm

And another link that show the current situation of our solar system, minus some information that aren't discussed there.
http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA04927

The first link (of course 8 years old) is unrelated to the topic of this thread. Again, please stick to the subject of the thread, discuss it in one of the many we've had on this subject, or start your own. There has been much investigation of this phenomena over the intervening 8 years, with many hypothesis, and much new and more refined data. Perhaps you should look for some more recent data. But not in this thread, because it's not about the earth's magnetic field.

The second link, is also not related to the topic of this thread. Are you detecting a theme here?

Many of us have been following the interaction of the Voyagers with the heliosheath and outer heliosphere environment for many years. That doesn't really even belong in Physics, we have discussed it (scientifically, I might add) in Space Science and Astronomy.

Wayne

Officially, Stick to the topic of the thread, or start your own in the appropriate forum!

Moderator Meteor Wayne

M

Mee_n_Mac

sentrynox":1j5t9gjl said:
New link is here:
http://www.livescience.com/space/scienceastronomy/070423_cosmic_evo.html

I forgot how difficult it is to bind peoples mind in order for them to see a larger picture of things... My bad I guess!

{snip}

First things first. Originally you had said "We are currently heading toward this gravitational plane and expect to reach it in early 2013. If so, then I can't imagine what would be the consequences of such huge gravitational influence on all our planet and even on our solar system"

Your newly revised link doesn't say anything about crossing the galactic plane nor anything about "huge" changes in "gravitational influence". The Pioneer anomoly (2'nd link) is just that, an anomoly that is so small it presently defies explanation. Trying to extrapolate that into some kind of doomsday warning is beyond fanciful. Your 3'rd link tries to show where the Voyager spacecraft are in relation to the heliosphere. So what ? Unless something drastic happens the Earth will remain orbitting the Sun and thus always well within it's heliosphere. Moreover I don't see anything in these references that has to do with "huge gravitational influences" as the Earth crosses the galatic plane ... which is isn't doing. What's difficult is to bind peoples minds to some nebulous point which only you seem to understand and can't relate to the rest of us. You've put up no convincing reasons* why gravity will change in the near future or that this is in any way causally related to the Earth's magnetic feild reversing. Had you asked what might happen in 10+ millions years as the solar system moves to the limit of it's galatic travels and if the magnetic feild reverse then ... you might have been better received ... in a different forum. Had you asked what happens when the magnetic feild collapses and then reverses .... you'd have been better received. But as it is you seem (to me at least) to be predicting calamity and doom in a few years based on no good evidence.

Let me ask so as to be completely clear ....

1) Do you think the Earth is going to cross the galaxies ecliptic in 2013 ?
2) Do you think there will be some large gravitational forces exerted on the Earth as a result of #1 ?
3) Do you think there's an causal relationship between the Earth's magnetic feild and it's position within our galaxy ?
4) Do you think something disasterous will happen to the Earth in 2013 as a result of #2 and #3 ?

*FWIW going back to your other, original links .... that Uranus rings show some disturbance was thought (according to your article) to be a result of some collision within that system ... not due to some external gravitational waves. Do you have some more reasoning to support your conclusion to the contrary ? Your other link doesn't say the Earth's core is spinning faster (or slower for that matter) but rather that the churning is changing. Churning != faster turning. Lastly your article on the Earths gravity feild changing (at the equator) also says this is a result of mass redistributing itself about the planet. We already know this would be the case. It again has nothing to do with crossing the galactic plane nor some external gravitational influences. It's good old Newtonian mechanics. Do you have any idea of the magnitude (with respect to normal 1G Earth gravity) of the reported changes ? You might as well be worried that differences in the strength of gravity helped us discover and map the dino killing crater in Mexico. People traverse the area all the time without gravity somehow causing them harm.

http://miac.uqac.ca/MIAC/chicxulub.htm

C

centsworth_II

Mee_n_Mac":3t74jyft said:
2) Do you think there will be some large gravitational forces exerted on the Earth as a result of #1 ?
3) Do you think there's an causal relationship between the Earth's magnetic feild and it's position within our galaxy ?
4) Do you think something disasterous will happen to the Earth in 2013 as a result of #2 and #3 ?
I'm surprised that sentrynox is concerned at all with events in 2013 or beyond. I would have expected him to be in the "world will end in 2012" camp.

M

Mee_n_Mac

centsworth_II":203uqar0 said:
Mee_n_Mac":203uqar0 said:
I'm surprised that sentrynox is concerned at all with events in 2013 or beyond. I would have expected him to be in the "world will end in 2012" camp.

I think he's something of a renegade when it comes to disaster prediction. Not just out there on a limb but in a whole 'nuther tree.

M

MeteorWayne

In any case, it's all off topic for this thread until proven otherwise.....

Thanx for your comments, guys.

N

neilsox

Possibly Earth's magnetic field is reversing. If the reversal is complete or partial in 2013, it will have little effect on humans. Possibly Earth will cross the galactic plane in 2013. This will produce negligible change in Earth's gravity. Likely other effects will also be negligible. Disaster will likely strike in 2013 or sooner, but it will be unrelated to our position in the galaxy, nor Earth's magnetic field. Neil

M

MeteorWayne

neilsox":kndz020y said:
Possibly Earth's magnetic field is reversing. If the reversal is complete or partial in 2013, it will have little effect on humans. Possibly Earth will cross the galactic plane in 2013. This will produce negligible change in Earth's gravity. Likely other effects will also be negligible. Disaster will likely strike in 2013 or sooner, but it will be unrelated to our position in the galaxy, nor Earth's magnetic field. Neil

Magnetic reversals take decades to centuries, so there is no chance of that happening in the next 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts