Join the FAA's virtual public meeting about SpaceX's Starship this evening

There has been no follow-up on this story. So, I am wondering if the NIMBY presentations at the in-person meetings were repeated at the virtual meetings.

See https://www.floridatoday.com/story/...ter-spurs-environmental-comments/74038414007/ .

In particular, there was the woman who testified as follows:

" 40-year Titusville resident Susan Palma fears more development at the Cape will risk further disrupting the imperiled Indian River Lagoon's natural water flow and salinity. She attended a Wednesday environmental meeting on potential Starship impacts, armed with a written statement warning of dangers of hazardous materials and fauna negatively impacted by air, light and noise pollution.

"I moved onto the river in 2011. And within three years, my waterfront went from a brackish, coastal waterfront to dead. It is still dead. There's no grass. There's no plants. There's no more manatees," Palma said.

"It is dead. It is brown. It is stinky. It is murky and mucky. And it has been for 10 years now. I'm actually thinking of moving out. If they're going to start expanding the space center, and they're not going to pay attention to the environmental (effects), I'll probably move out," she said."

So, her real concern is the effects of residential development in the area, which is and has been the major impactor of the natural habitats along the coast on both sides of the peninsula. Those impacts are real and as bad as she described.

But, the space program is not the dominant driver of residential development in Florida. To see who is actually responsible, Ms. Palma only needs to look in a mirror. She had been in Titusville for 40 years, and "moved onto the river" 11 years ago. And "within three years, my waterfront went from a brackish, coastal waterfront to dead," she says.

That is a testimonial against the local zoning codes, not the space program or SpaceX's launch rate for Starship.

Last edited: