Just Curious

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scottb50

After all the concern about the RCC panel cracks has anything come out about their post flight condition? Obviously they didn't present a problem, but were there any changes or further degradation? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

scottb50

So, nobody knows? Or did I miss the news? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

scottb50

Thanks. It was such a big deal at one point and then it dropped off the radar. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

scottb50

On the previous mission they had cracking, or delamination of the outer coating. It created quite a stir at one point. Since it created no problem on re-entry it pretty much dropped off the radar.<br /><br />I was curious if they showed more problems on return or are still planned to be used for the next Discovery mission. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Q

qso1

RCC is short for reinforced carbon carbon which describes the material the panels are made of. The gray areas you see on the shuttles wing leading edges and the nose cone are RCC panels and are built to provide thermal protection of up to 3,000 degrees F. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS