Kenneth Branagh on "Thor"

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

Because the recent Marvel movies seem to be following the Ultimate series track I'm including images of both the 'classic' and 'ultimate' versions of the character at the bottom so folks can catch up.

LA Times interview....

Kenneth Branagh is hammering away on 'Thor'....

>
"Thor," due in 2011, is filming now in Santa Fe, N.M., and stars newcomer Chris Hemsworth (who played the doomed father of James T. Kirk in last year's "Star Trek") will carry the magical hammer of Thor in the film, with Natalie Portman playing his mortal love, Jane Foster. Anthony Hopkins is Odin, Thor's father, and Tom Hiddleston plays the thunder god's duplicitous brother, Loki.
>
"Inspired by the comic book world both pictorially and compositionally at once, we've tried to find a way to make a virtue and a celebration of the distinction between the worlds that exist in the film but absolutely make them live in the same world," Branagh said. "It's about finding the framing style, the color palette, finding the texture and the amount of camera movement that helps celebrate and express the differences and the distinctions in those worlds. If it succeeds, it will mark this film as different.... The combination of the primitive and the sophisticated, the ancient and the modern, I think that potentially is the exciting fusion, the exciting tension in the film."
>
"It's going very, very well," Branagh said Wednesday. "We're in New Meixco now where we have a contemporary Earth part of our story. I guess we're two-thirds of the way through the story and at this stage of the game what's surprising and delighting me is the way the cast, the ensemble, has fused together. It's kind of an interesting combination of very young and very experienced people and the double-up of that, it seems to me, is there is a lot of fire in the movie. It doesn't take itself too seriously, it doesn't try to be too solemn."
>
Young Hemsworth will also star as "Thor" in the planned "Avengers" movie, the superhero team film where (if the current casting plan holds) the Aussie newcomer will have to hold his own with far more experienced peers -- Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man; Edward Norton Jr. as the Hulk's alter ego, Bruce Banner; and Chris Evans as Captain America.
>

Classic Thor
ThorMovie.jpg

Ultimate Thor
20070810-Marvel-Thor.jpg

H

HRacct

The two shows you mentioned will be two of the shows I will be waiting for, almost as much as the LOTR's movies. I followed Thor for the longest of time, seeing the lame doctor, with a cane, becoming the Thunder God himself. I have always, I think, been fascinated with mythology my whole life, and that would include the Norse gods as well. One time, when I was researching the meaning of the word "luck," I found Loki was mentioned in it. It seemed very appropriate, considering his disposition in every thing.

Some time back, I did see a new viking T.V. movie that turned out to be all about the "real" people in the fables, and how the stories about them could have been written. The movie was just alright, but the character portrayals were pretty nice. I also liked the director's comments, in the news article, that said they were not taking themselves so seriously in the work. There is a way to be serious about what you do, without being so serious in it. Lighten up, it's not like we are going to get out of this thing alive anyway. So, we might as well enjoy the trip.

The other movie that will be good to see is the Avengers. It will be interesting to see if or how they will include some of the members, like Vision, Quicksilver, Wanda, or the Black Panther. Or how about Wasp and her husband, Giant Man(?), I think. Triva, now what was the husband's name? That was when Cap America was thawed out from WWII, and joined.

For some people I guess, this is a sign of growing old, to look back on those things of the past, or for others, I guess, it shows they have NEVER grown up in the first place!!!!!!

Oh yeah, I forgot, I am much more partial to the classic Thor, then that new picture of him you had posted. HR

J

JasonChapman

I'm not familiar with Thor, although I have heard if him. I always thought Branagh would make a good Dr Who

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS