Krull': the science fantasy of 'Star Wars' without the magic

Nov 26, 2023
Visit site
The article demonstrates the author watched Krull but it escapes me how the fire mares, controlling the glaive with the mind, the sand that stopped the crystal spider, the shape-shifting wizard, the marriage flame that became a hand flamethrower, the Emerald Seer, and so much more don't count as magic? For all it's cheesy fun the film is rife with magic. I'll grant the Slayers, the Black Fortress, and the powers of the Beast could be high science, but Krull is brimming with magic though it may not be flashy but saying it's "without magic"--- nope don't buy it.

Reactions: 24Hz
Jun 3, 2022
Visit site
The article demonstrates the author watched Krull but it escapes me how the fire mares, controlling the glaive with the mind, the sand that stopped the crystal spider, the shape-shifting wizard, the marriage flame that became a hand flamethrower, the Emerald Seer, and so much more don't count as magic? For all it's cheesy fun the film is rife with magic. I'll grant the Slayers, the Black Fortress, and the powers of the Beast could be high science, but Krull is brimming with magic though it may not be flashy but saying it's "without magic"--- nope don't buy it.
It is also evident that whomever wrote this text has seen this movie with the eyes of a boring adult, very shaped into the present. This movie was supposed to be for children, and it worked. I saw it as a child, and even when well aware of Star Wars (or the 1978 Japanese Message from Space, which I also enjoyed as a kid), I still remember Krull with a nostalgic happiness that won't go away for non-contextualized articles like this. And by the way, I remember this film classified in its time as Heroic Fantasy rather than Sci-Fi.

Latest posts