Lectures Documentaries & Books (Science, Physics, Cosmology)

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

a_lost_packet_

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>"Hyperspace" by Michio Kaku was the first book I read that had anything to do with cosmology and/or astrophysics.&nbsp; Can't say that I remember too many details abou the book.&nbsp; .."</DIV></p><p>I've read a couple of things by Kaku and don't mind his style.&nbsp; I've also seen several disparaging remarks made in ref to some of the things he has said including some of his claims of authorship of certain ideas.&nbsp; I'm not sure how well received he is in the hard science world.&nbsp; But, as a popularizer, he's pretty good. </p><p>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Another I would add to the list would be "Relativity: The Special and General Theory" by Einstein himself.&nbsp; Not sure which list I would put it under.&nbsp; It's not exactly casual reading material, but neither is it a comprehensive text book. <br /> Posted by derekmcd</DIV></p><p>It's a pretty good read and I like Einstein's style.&nbsp; It's pretty playful though not as much as Feynman's. I think anyone picking from the above books would enjoy it as well. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1">I put on my robe and wizard hat...</font> </div>

D

derekmcd

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I've read a couple of things by Kaku and don't mind his style.&nbsp; I've also seen several disparaging remarks made in ref to some of the things he has said including some of his claims of authorship of certain ideas.&nbsp; I'm not sure how well received he is in the hard science world.&nbsp; But, as a popularizer, he's pretty good. It's a pretty good read and I like Einstein's style.&nbsp; It's pretty playful though not as much as Feynman's. I think anyone picking from the above books would enjoy it as well. <br /> Posted by a_lost_packet_</DIV></p><p>Haven't heard that about Kaku.&nbsp; If true, then that would explain his exclusion.&nbsp;</p><p>If you like a playful style, then I highly recommend Leon Lederman's "The God Particle".&nbsp; You will thoroughly enjoy it without even realizing your learning stuff.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

A

a_lost_packet_

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Haven't heard that about Kaku.&nbsp; If true, then that would explain his exclusion.&nbsp;If you like a playful style, then I highly recommend Leon Lederman's "The God Particle".&nbsp; You will thoroughly enjoy it without even realizing your learning stuff.Posted by derekmcd</DIV></p><p>Lernin' stuff?</p><p>OH NOES!</p><p>I just picked up "The Riddle of Gravitation" by Peter Bergman.&nbsp; Admittedly, it is a somewhat older text but it has been updated extensively.&nbsp; I haven't read "The God Particle" yet but have been meaning to pick that up.&nbsp; I need to get some fill-ins from that list. :) </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1">I put on my robe and wizard hat...</font> </div>

D

DrRocket

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>"Hyperspace" by Michio Kaku was the first book I read that had anything to do with cosmology and/or astrophysics.&nbsp; Can't say that I remember too many details abou the book.&nbsp; When I read, I only had a vague idea of the subject matter.&nbsp; However, I do recall that he wrote in such away as to maintain the readers interest.&nbsp; I would say it is much similar to Greene's "Elegant Universe".I've seen comprehensive, recommended reading lists else where, but never see Kaku's books recommended.&nbsp; I've only read the one book of his and have seen a few lectures and interviews by him.&nbsp; I know he tends to be more on the speculative side of nature, but I would still recommend his books as he is thoroughly knowledgeable within his domain.Anyway, I also recommend this thread to be stickied.&nbsp; I applaud Manwh0re's efforts in putting together such an appealingly accessible resource for the community. &nbsp;DrRocket,Before you edited your list to add titles, i know you mentioned that you had to check 'your' library.&nbsp; If you have all those books in your library... I'm full of envy.&nbsp; Mine pales in comparison, but I plan on rectifying that over the next few years. Another I would add to the list would be "Relativity: The Special and General Theory" by Einstein himself.&nbsp; Not sure which list I would put it under.&nbsp; It's not exactly casual reading material, but neither is it a comprehensive text book. <br />Posted by derekmcd</DIV></p><p>I added the title that you suggested to the general list and also another one that contains some of the original papers by Einstein, Lorentz, Weyl and Minkowski to the hard core list.&nbsp;</p><p>Yeah, I have those books.&nbsp; I have a pretty good personal library of engineering, physics and especially mathematics books.</p><p>The only book I have by Kaku is&nbsp;a fairly serious one on quantum field theory and I did not include it because I think other books are better.&nbsp; I am not a big Kaku fan, but you could do <strong>much</strong> worse (Don Scott for instance).</p><p>The problem with book lists is that there are so many to choose from, and without knowing a persons&nbsp;specific interests and background it is hard to pick the right one.&nbsp;That is the reason for my hesitation at the start.&nbsp;The list that I put together is sort of a sampler of books that&nbsp;might be considered classics.&nbsp; If someone were to name a particular subject and provide some idea of their background I might be able to provide a more targeted list. What I don't have is an extensive list at an undergraduate level, but there the topics are limited and one or two tried-and-true texts ought to suffice. &nbsp; <br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

BoJangles

<p>Great list of books, ill have to print it out next time im at the library. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#808080">-------------- </font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>Let me start out with the standard disclaimer ... I am an idiot, I know almost nothing, I haven’t taken calculus, I don’t work for NASA, and I am one-quarter Bulgarian sheep dog.  With that out of the way, I have several stupid questions... </em></font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>*** A few months blogging can save a few hours in research ***</em></font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Great list of books, ill have to print it out next time im at the library. <br />Posted by Manwh0re</DIV><br /><br />That's exactly my plan as well.</p><p>Thanx to the OP for this thread, and thanx Dr for the book list.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

C

centsworth_II

<p><font color="#333399"><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>...I highly recommend Leon Lederman's "The God Particle"....<br /> Posted by derekmcd</DIV><br /></font>That was one of the first books I read when I got interested in finding out what is known about the nature of reality and I loved it.&nbsp; I like that it's from the perspective of an experimental Physicist and so, although entertaining and sometimes whimsical, it sticks closely to facts and observations.&nbsp; Books by theoretical physicists sometimes tend to stray into fantasy. </p><p>"The God Particle" would be a good book for anyone interested in the search for the Higgs boson, since the Higgs is the title character of the book.&nbsp; </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

K

kg

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>That was one of the first books I read when I got interested in finding out what is known about the nature of reality and I loved it.&nbsp; I like that it's from the perspective of an experimental Physicist and so, although entertaining and sometimes whimsical, it sticks closely to facts and observations.&nbsp; Books by theoretical physicists sometimes tend to stray into fantasy. "The God Particle" would be a good book for anyone interested in the search for the Higgs boson, since the Higgs is the title character of the book.&nbsp; <br />Posted by centsworth_II</DIV><br /><br />I saw this book recommended here in a post a couple of weeks ago and picked it up at the library.&nbsp; I'm enjoying it very much!&nbsp; I'ts written so that even a blacksmith can understand it!!

K

kg

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>....The problem with book lists is that there are so many to choose from, and without knowing a persons&nbsp;specific interests and background it is hard to pick the right one.&nbsp;That is the reason for my hesitation at the start.&nbsp;&nbsp; <br />Posted by DrRocket</DIV><br /><br />Thanks for the book list!&nbsp; The problem with books is that there are allot of books out there that sound like they might have actual science in them from the title but&nbsp;there is allot of BS&nbsp;in them.&nbsp; &nbsp;

D

DrRocket

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Thanks for the book list!&nbsp; The problem with books is that there are allot of books out there that sound like they might have actual science in them from the title but&nbsp;there is allot of BS&nbsp;in them.&nbsp; &nbsp; <br />Posted by kg</DIV></p><p>Yes indeed.&nbsp; I find that, with popularizations, if you stick to those written by well-knows research scientists the risk is greatly reduced.&nbsp; I don't bother with books written by professional popularizers.&nbsp; <br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

BoJangles

Just added a couple of more vids and&nbsp;fixed some dead links <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#808080">-------------- </font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>Let me start out with the standard disclaimer ... I am an idiot, I know almost nothing, I haven’t taken calculus, I don’t work for NASA, and I am one-quarter Bulgarian sheep dog.  With that out of the way, I have several stupid questions... </em></font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>*** A few months blogging can save a few hours in research ***</em></font></p> </div>

B

BoJangles

<p>Things may still be a little out of order or wrongly named, im slowly getting thier</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#808080">-------------- </font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>Let me start out with the standard disclaimer ... I am an idiot, I know almost nothing, I haven’t taken calculus, I don’t work for NASA, and I am one-quarter Bulgarian sheep dog.  With that out of the way, I have several stupid questions... </em></font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>*** A few months blogging can save a few hours in research ***</em></font></p> </div>

S

Saiph

<p>:)&nbsp; You reminded me of a resource I stumbled upon a few months back (before my involuntary hiatus).</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Anybody want to Audit MIT lectures on...basically anything? &nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;Enjoy!</p><p>http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/home/home/index.htm</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>I highly recommend the Audio/Video courses you can access via the menu on the left hand frame.</p><p>Here's the physics I "mechanics" complete video lecture series:</p><p>http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-01Physics-IFall1999/VideoLectures/index.htm </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

B

BoJangles

<p>Thanks Saiph, indeed great resource.</p><p>I didnt realise there were such places.</p><p>:)</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#808080">-------------- </font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>Let me start out with the standard disclaimer ... I am an idiot, I know almost nothing, I haven’t taken calculus, I don’t work for NASA, and I am one-quarter Bulgarian sheep dog.  With that out of the way, I have several stupid questions... </em></font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>*** A few months blogging can save a few hours in research ***</em></font></p> </div>

B

BoJangles

<p>*Bump*</p><p>I think there are several new posters that may gain from this thread.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#808080">-------------- </font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>Let me start out with the standard disclaimer ... I am an idiot, I know almost nothing, I haven’t taken calculus, I don’t work for NASA, and I am one-quarter Bulgarian sheep dog.  With that out of the way, I have several stupid questions... </em></font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>*** A few months blogging can save a few hours in research ***</em></font></p> </div>

D

derekmcd

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>*Bump*I think there are several new posters that may gain from this thread. <br /> Posted by BoJangles</DIV></p><p>Since ManWh0.... Errrr... Bojangles changed his name.&nbsp; Is there any reason we can't get this thread stickied?&nbsp; A great resource. It's rather apparent Bojangles invested (and is still investing) personal resources to aid the community, I think it would be completely appropriate atop this sub-forum.</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

S

Saiph

Done!&nbsp; Enjoy the stickie :) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

D

derekmcd

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Done!&nbsp; Enjoy the stickie :) <br /> Posted by Saiph</DIV></p><p>You da man! </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

B

BoJangles

<p>Thanks guys!!!</p><p>I&nbsp;have a couple more ill add soon, though ive just moved house and using dialup atm; i should be back into the full swing of things in a week or so.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#808080">-------------- </font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>Let me start out with the standard disclaimer ... I am an idiot, I know almost nothing, I haven’t taken calculus, I don’t work for NASA, and I am one-quarter Bulgarian sheep dog.  With that out of the way, I have several stupid questions... </em></font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>*** A few months blogging can save a few hours in research ***</em></font></p> </div>

K

kristina3313

Thanks for this lovely contribution to scientifically challenged as myself, because of this thread I managed not&nbsp;to make an ....... of myself by asking some very silly/stupid questions that require&nbsp;a very basic knowledge of physics.&nbsp; <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

BoJangles

<p>Im glad it helped :)</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#808080">-------------- </font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>Let me start out with the standard disclaimer ... I am an idiot, I know almost nothing, I haven’t taken calculus, I don’t work for NASA, and I am one-quarter Bulgarian sheep dog.  With that out of the way, I have several stupid questions... </em></font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>*** A few months blogging can save a few hours in research ***</em></font></p> </div>

D

derekmcd

How sad this thread became mangled in the transition. BoJangles... If you have it in you, I'd like to see this thread recreated. You can see by the number of views, it was rather popular.

I hope you had it saved elsewhere...

B

BoJangles2

Yep i have a copy, though ill have to start a new thread as my account was managled too, ive salvaged the book lists and saiphs input, unfortuantly it might take another couple of hours to format it all correctly under the new formatting system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts