looking to learn about sound on planets , moons , exoplanets , etc..

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
let me first say that i am new here and excited ..i am one of those people that have to watch the cosmos , the planets or the universe every night before i go to sleep . been doing it for so many years now I've seen them all thousands of times and get excited when ever a new one comes out . but my questions have to do with sound , i am a music producer creating a new style of music . fun , funny and sometimes funky ,you will definitely go on a trip in your imagination , people who love space as much as i do , i like to think about what would people from distant worlds would be jamming to..i realize its speculation , but fun , i would like to try and create a unique sound that could be more accurate , i would really be interested in learning how sound carries on distant worlds, for example pitches , low or high , delays , muted , would there be sounds you wouldn't hear? would it sound slowed down or sped up? how would music really sound on some of these worlds? my goal is to try and make them as accurate as possible one day. any advice would be greatly appreciated ..right now a have a few series started and make more every week ..if you want an example of what i started you can check them out on soundcloud.com/total-kaos . but of course some of them would definitely be changed, once you guys fill me in on how sound carries on these places , also just give me some great ideas about places i haven't yet gone to yet . if you guys are not sure can you ask other people and pass me on to people who might know the answers ..i would greatly appreciate it. i cant wait to hear from you all...

Reactions: Lariliss
Jul 27, 2021
Visit site
Due to the incredible diverse of the media, held by planets, numerous accumulations of different matter of different elements, the sound would be either slowed down or sped up, change pitches to human perception.

Probably you may try to send one of your tracks with a nearest mission (Venus?) and get spectrum analysis results then.

There is a scratch insight:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeYnV9zp7Dk

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
Due to the incredible diverse of the media, held by planets, numerous accumulations of different matter of different elements, the sound would be either slowed down or sped up, change pitches to human perception.

Probably you may try to send one of your tracks with a nearest mission (Venus?) and get spectrum analysis results then.

There is a scratch insight:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeYnV9zp7Dk
is that possible to send it to venus for real? how would you do something like that? its kind of funny while people are so concerned with fame , my dream would be to just get it played from a tower big enough for it to travel into space , where it can just go and go and go...but wow if its possible to send it on a mission that might be even cooler...

Jul 27, 2021
Visit site
it will take a minute to figure this forum out , did i even respond in the right place...?
“When I was about to finish my thesis, it was just the beginnings of Queen and I had to make that choice. And my choice was made on the assumption that I wasn’t very good at physics and I might be quite good at music,” - Brian May, astrophysicist.
I am not sure, if it is working vice versa.

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
“When I was about to finish my thesis, it was just the beginnings of Queen and I had to make that choice. And my choice was made on the assumption that I wasn’t very good at physics and I might be quite good at music,” - Brian May, astrophysicist.
I am not sure, if it is working vice versa.
queen ? nice ..its so interesting that you say queen , i think of music in that way , i hate short songs , if i feel the groove, i want to ride it as long as i can. i get annoyed with 3 min songs ..playing it over and over ?i prefer longer songs if they are good. .let them flow , 1 -20 minute song is better than 3 bad ones and 2 good ones.,, people are so concerned with radio play. why? its the future , no need to have songs short to play on the radio., i m more like a digital mozart ,i think in electronic symphonies , no rules or boundaries when creating , to have them all flow in harmony together.. instead of trying for the perfect song . i want to create perfect albums , so you are a musician also? ..what do you think about music on other worlds?
i would love to talk more about this ..

Reactions: Lariliss

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
Music on other worlds

Sound is made by vibrations in the air'
The atmospheres on different planets are very different.
Mercury/Mars (almost) no atmosphere no sound.
Venus Maybe too dense - very different quality - except 50 km up in the clouds.
Gas Giants - bit cold going there - lots of work actually producing sound.
Space No molecules to vibrate - no sound.

Cat :)

Music on other worlds

Sound is made by vibrations in the air'
The atmospheres on different planets are very different.
Mercury/Mars (almost) no atmosphere no sound.
Venus Maybe too dense - very different quality - except 50 km up in the clouds.
Gas Giants - bit cold going there - lots of work actually producing sound.
Space No molecules to vibrate - no sound.

Cat :)
My understanding is that space, being a vacuum, is silent. Sound waves require a medium to travel through.
I did recently read an article that NASA published on July 26, 2018 titled Sounds of the Sun. It says “the Sun is not silent and describes a low frequency sound, a low, pulsing hum. This simple sound connects us with the Sun and all other stars in the universe. Data from SOHO was sonified to capture the Sun’s natural vibrations”…..

Jul 27, 2021
Visit site
queen ? nice ..its so interesting that you say queen , i think of music in that way , i hate short songs , if i feel the groove, i want to ride it as long as i can. i get annoyed with 3 min songs ..playing it over and over ?i prefer longer songs if they are good. .let them flow , 1 -20 minute song is better than 3 bad ones and 2 good ones.,, people are so concerned with radio play. why? its the future , no need to have songs short to play on the radio., i m more like a digital mozart ,i think in electronic symphonies , no rules or boundaries when creating , to have them all flow in harmony together.. instead of trying for the perfect song . i want to create perfect albums , so you are a musician also? ..what do you think about music on other worlds?
i would love to talk more about this ..
Yes, Brian May is the Queen member (he completed his PhD later in 2007).
Riding, running, different mood needs different music for me.
Some 'bubble-gum' songs can be 5-7 minutes over and over the same thing :)
'Riders on the storm'...

Sounds are vibrations for every note at certain hertz (DO, RE.. to TI), doubling the frequency. And those are found in ancient days.
Signatures, Harmonies, Triads, Chords as we know now are the supporting bricks for understanding of music rules, relatively new to music.

When Mozart, Beethoven, Bach were creating their masterpieces, they were not thinking of chords. They had tempo, signature and vibration transitions, that create mood (for instance, waltz 3/4 signature, human heartbeat is 3/4 signature).

If anyone talented stays enough in another planet atmosphere, the master might find another harmony. Or, actually, it is possible to modulate them with DAW and good headphones.

Good idea!

Jul 27, 2021
Visit site
The easiest one that we can do right now is 'sonification' of the pictures.

For instance, using the brightness of the pixels, their position on the picture, etcetera and assigning a certain sound to these properties.

Mixing comets, nebulae, planets, galaxies, finding certain patterns sounds interesting.

Give me the place to stand, and I shall move the earth’..maybe we will be able to manipulate cosmos gas clouds’ electromagnetic vibrations in future for a symphony.

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
i am doing various series of songs , i have my clambake on kepler series which i have been playing around with alot crazy sounds ..trying to keep it fun ,, but yet still able to hang with the music today . i started a get-down-on-Gliese series of course i used a reggaetón beat for 581g thought it fitting and fun...i have a joyride "my soundwaves" series these are much longer songs , the moon, titan ,europa , my goal of these is to create harmony and flow as long as i can ,all my music is recorded live and freestyle ..i want to get the joyride to be a perfect hr of perfection . various other songs , disco on mars, voyage to venus , party on pluto ., etc. now i want to try and go back over some of them and tweak the sounds ...new songs i want to try and create the sound from the beginning, if possible , i am on limited equipment right now , trying to finish my studio , what i cant do now i will in the future...

i can see i have a ton of homework,,,, lol , i might need to get out the dictionary to talk to you guys, hahaha
Hehehe you won’t need your dictionary with my posts hopefully! I would rather speak simply.
Mandelbrot was the name of the guy who first studied fractal geometry. Fractals are never ending patterns. They are infinitely complex, the further you delve into them the more of the same type of patterns keep recurring, there is no end to them. They, or their number values are obtained by repeating a simple equation over and over again. So the first number calculated is fed back into the equation to produce the next number which is fed back into the equation, creating an ongoing feedback loop . Fractals allow us to visually model a lot of what we see in nature, most recognisably coastlines and mountains. Fractals are used to model soil erosion and analyse seismic patterns as well. When a particular set of fractals is generated using a computer the patterns are extremely beautiful, they are given a colour according to numerical value. The pulsing of the coloured patterns is just amazing to watch.
Anything with a rhythm or pattern has a chance of being fractal - like. Most natural objects exhibit fractals.
Please look up a video of the Mandelbrot Set, you won’t be disappointed. 😊

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021
Visit site
'Math hides in the strangest places
Math hides in familiar faces
Math comes when you least expect it
Math hides in narrow corners
Math comes to those who seek it
Math hides inside the rainbow
Math hides in molecular structures
Mysterious physics..'
- The Doors cover

Reactions: Terra Australis
Hehehe while I’m reading your post I spoiled my gravy!
Yeah love/math. I love Math so It makes no difference to me but love in the verse is nice too!
Jim Morrison - he had a way with words. Troubled soul. Sad

Jul 27, 2021
Visit site
Hehehe while I’m reading your post I spoiled my gravy!
Yeah love/math. I love Math so It makes no difference to me but love in the verse is nice too!
Jim Morrison - he had a way with words. Troubled soul. Sad
He had incredible vocabulary. It is a huge anchor for English song writing. And English intrinsic property of playing words...

I enjoy good poetry and good writing.
Music draws on principles of Maths and Science. There are patterns in chord construction which follow across all key signatures. There is a pattern for determining major, minor, seventh scales etc. Music as I know it is based on 7 tones and 5 semitones and repeating octaves each with its own particular wavelength when put together can produce the simplest melody to the most complicated orchestral pieces .

Latest posts