Lunar Mascons And Water

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cyclonebuster

Areas of the moon have greater mass than other areas such as this image of the moon.
I am betting water would accumulate in greater concentrations than the current 16 oz per 1000lbs of lunar material in these regions. In fact there may may be underground artesian wells in such areas where the mountainous crater walls exist. We need to drill wells in these locations to find water.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0f/MoonLP150Q_grav_150.jpg

C

CalliArcale

I dunno; wouldn't the lunar mascons be denser than the surrounding areas (hence why they have more mass), which would imply less water? (Water is not very dense, after all.)

C

cyclonebuster

CalliArcale":2mz9ppar said:
I dunno; wouldn't the lunar mascons be denser than the surrounding areas (hence why they have more mass), which would imply less water? (Water is not very dense, after all.)

Wouldn't more massive areas attract less massive compounds if they were around thus increasing PPM or PPB of that compound?

M

MeteorWayne

Maybe, but if it did, the local mass concentration (remember MasCon= Mass Concentration) would be reduced and they wouldn't be Mascons anymore...

C

cyclonebuster

MeteorWayne":2zasr067 said:
Maybe, but if it did, the local mass concentration (remember MasCon= Mass Concentration) would be reduced and they wouldn't be Mascons anymore...

Even with the water the mascons could be more massive than the surrounding areas if the other elemets within the mascon area are more massive.

C

CalliArcale

That's a pretty big "if", unless you're suggesting that the mascons are still almost entirely *not* water.

Note that water doesn't flow on the Moon. It's too cold. Even subsurface water would have to be in the form of ice.

C

cyclonebuster

CalliArcale":13m6pjxj said:
That's a pretty big "if", unless you're suggesting that the mascons are still almost entirely *not* water.

Note that water doesn't flow on the Moon. It's too cold. Even subsurface water would have to be in the form of ice.
Not where the sun is illuminating the surface.

S

Saiph

actually in direct sunlight the water ice that is there would directly sublimate into a gas...no liquid phase...due to lack of any atmospheric pressure.

So...still no liquid.

that being said, a brief look at the conditions would lead me to look at the mascons first for higher water concentrations...but I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't much there (certainly no large aquifers).

C

cyclonebuster

Saiph":1fvluj2f said:
actually in direct sunlight the water ice that is there would directly sublimate into a gas...no liquid phase...due to lack of any atmospheric pressure.

So...still no liquid.

that being said, a brief look at the conditions would lead me to look at the mascons first for higher water concentrations...but I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't much there (certainly no large aquifers).

Would not surface tension and ground absorbtion hold it there underground thus preventing it from vaporizing away? Never know unless we drill for it.

D

dayofunke

If the lunar made of water, there will be water if we dig down.

S

Saiph

if it's down deep enough for that, I don't think it'll be warm enough melt in the first place...

Mobile water on the moon is really, really hard to justify. If there is any, it's in a very specific set of circumstances, and not widespread at all.

C

cyclonebuster

Saiph":1kxl42kf said:
if it's down deep enough for that, I don't think it'll be warm enough melt in the first place...

Mobile water on the moon is really, really hard to justify. If there is any, it's in a very specific set of circumstances, and not widespread at all.

Like near a mascon and or underground cave possibly.

S

Saiph

I don't see how a mascon would help really, and an underground cave might help (captured vaporized water provides sufficient pressure to allow liquid phase)...but you still have the entire heating problem. Why wouldn't it be ice?

C

cyclonebuster

Saiph":2wtm0ew4 said:
I don't see how a mascon would help really, and an underground cave might help (captured vaporized water provides sufficient pressure to allow liquid phase)...but you still have the entire heating problem. Why wouldn't it be ice?

Ice or water I don't think that would matter. I am just thinking a more massive area would tend to capture a less massive molecule such as water.

S

SpaceTas

The larger lunar mascons are located at circular lava filled impacts such as Imbrium, Orientale, Criisium. The combination of the extra density of the lava filling these basin, and the denser mantle (layer below crust) being higher than average under these impacts explains them. Tough the mix is uncertain, and why the mantle should be thicker under impacts is not really explained.

Wikpedia and this link http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/06nov_loworbit.htm are good.
There's a reasonable map from the Apollo days, but there should be a more up-to-date version from Clemintine.
Also the current LRO will get a better map.

The notion that the extra mass of a mascon would preferentially attract less massive molecules (= "lighter" materials) ... do you see the problem(s)???

C

cyclonebuster

SpaceTas":3of4walg said:
The larger lunar mascons are located at circular lava filled impacts such as Imbrium, Orientale, Criisium. The combination of the extra density of the lava filling these basin, and the denser mantle (layer below crust) being higher than average under these impacts explains them. Tough the mix is uncertain, and why the mantle should be thicker under impacts is not really explained.

Wikpedia and this link http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/06nov_loworbit.htm are good.
There's a reasonable map from the Apollo days, but there should be a more up-to-date version from Clemintine.
Also the current LRO will get a better map.

The notion that the extra mass of a mascon would preferentially attract less massive molecules (= "lighter" materials) ... do you see the problem(s)???

I see a greater mass attracting anything less massive. We need to drill for water in such areas as it may have pooled underneath the lunar regolith at mascon locations especially where the sun is lighting the surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts