Mars Water Debate Still Rages

Page 3 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

alexblackwell

From the July 2004 issue of <i>Earth, Planets and Space</i>:<br /><br /><b>The volcanism-related multistage hydrothermal system of El Jaroso (SE Spain): Implications for the exploration of Mars </b><br />J. Martinez-Frías, R. Lunar, J. A. Rodríguez-Losada, A. Delgado, and F. Rull <br /><i>Earth Planets Space</i>, Vol. 56 (No. 7), pp. v-viii, 2004<br />Abstract

E

exoscientist

I agree the evidence is buried, but it is a question of how deeply. <br /> My opinion is that evidence would have been provided at Bonneville if it had been examined up close.<br /><br /><br /> Bob Clark <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

A

alexblackwell

From July-August 2004 issue of <i>Solar System Research</i>:<br /><br /><b>Soil Water Content on Mars as Estimated from Neutron Measurements by the HEND Instrument Onboard the 2001 Mars Odyssey Spacecraft</b><br />I. G. Mitrofanov, M. L. Litvak, A. S. Kozyrev, A. B. Sanin, V. I. Tret'yakov, V. Yu. Grin'kov, W. V. Boynton, C. Shinohara, D. Hamara, R. S. Saunders <br /><i>Solar Sys. Res</i>. <b>38</b>, 253-257, (2004)<br />Abstract

A

alexblackwell

<i>From the July 2004 issue of Earth, Planets and Space: <br /><br /><b>The volcanism-related multistage hydrothermal system of El Jaroso (SE Spain): Implications for the exploration of Mars</b><br />J. Martinez-Frías, R. Lunar, J. A. Rodríguez-Losada, A. Delgado, and F. Rull <br />Earth Planets Space, Vol. 56 (No. 7), pp. v-viii, 2004</i><br /><br />1.56 Mb PDF reprint

A

alexblackwell

Published online today in <i>JGR-Planets</i>:<br /><br />Christensen, Philip R.; Ruff, Steven W.<br /><b>Formation of the hematite-bearing unit in Meridiani Planum: Evidence for deposition in standing water</b><br />J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 109, No. E8, E08003<br />10.1029/2003JE002233<br />17 August 2004<br />Abstract

A

alexblackwell

Published recently in <i>Geophysical Research Letters</i>:<br /><br />Feldman, W. C.; Mellon, M. T.; Maurice, S.; Prettyman, T. H.; Carey, J. W.; Vaniman, D. T.; Bish, D. L.; Fialips, C. I.; Chipera, S. J.; Kargel, J. S.; Elphic, R. C.; Funsten, H. O.; Lawrence, D. J.; Tokar, R. L.<br /><b>Hydrated states of MgSO4 at equatorial latitudes on Mars</b><br /><i>Geophys. Res. Lett</i>., Vol. 31, No. 16, L16702<br />10.1029/2004GL020181<br />24 August 2004<br />Abstract<br />

A

alexblackwell

Published online today in <i>JGR-Planets</i>:<br /><br />Grant, John A.; Maxwell, Ted A.; Johnston, Andrew K.; Kilani, Ali; Williams, Kevin K.<br /><b>Documenting drainage evolution in Bir Kiseiba, southern Egypt: Constraints from ground-penetrating radar and implications for Mars</b><br /><i>J. Geophys. Res</i>., Vol. 109, No. E9, E09002<br />10.1029/2003JE002232<br />01 September 2004<br />Abstract

A

alexblackwell

There's a new preprint available in <i>JGR Planets in Press</i>:<br /><br />Wilson, Sharon A. and Zimbelman, James R. — August 2004<br /><b>The latitude-dependent nature and physical characteristics of transverse aeolian ridges on Mars</b><br />(2004JE002247)<br />PDF [10 MB]<br /><br />Note: I believe <i>JGR Planets in Press</i> is available to non-subscribers, though the preprint will eventually be taken down once the final version is actually published.

V

voyagerwsh

Thanks for the links, AlexBlackwell.<br /><br />If large body of liquid water had existed for extensive period of time under probable warmer Martian climate as well as thicker atmosphere, it might provide suitable environment for genesis of indigenous life. Also, the long existing surface/near liquid water might incubate the evolution of martian microbes in certain progresses.<br /><br />http://www.astrobio.net/news/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1184&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

R

rlb2

<font color="yellow">"Brian Hynek of the University of Colorado at Boulder thinks the broad distribution of similar rock outcrops -- though they have not been studied up close -- adds up to an expanse of water about the size of the Baltic Sea.<br /><br />The lake or sea probably covered about 127,000 square miles (330,000 square kilometers), Hynek said today. The study is detailed in the Sept. 9 issue of the journal Nature.<br /><br />If the outcrops are a result of sea deposition, the amount of water once present must have been comparable to the Baltic Sea or all of the Great Lakes combined," Hynek said, speculating also that future studies may show that the ancient sea was even larger. He also speculates that the water may have been deep and long lasting, allowing sediments to build up to a depth of a third of a mile."<font color="white"><br /><br />http://space.com/scienceastronomy/mars_lake_040908.html<br /><br />Baby steps - baby steps <br /><br />"Whats next the F word?"<br /></font></font> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Ron Bennett </div>

A

alexblackwell

Published online today in <i>JGR-Planets</i>:<br /><br />Wilson, Lionel; Ghatan, G.J.; Head, James W., III; Mitchell, Karl L.<br /><b>Mars outflow channels: A reappraisal of the estimation of water flow velocities from water depths, regional slopes, and channel floor properties</b><br /><i>J. Geophys. Res</i>., Vol. 109, No. E9, E09003<br />10.1029/2004JE002281<br />10 September 2004<br />Abstract

A

alexblackwell

Published online today in <i>JGR-Planets</i>:<br /><br />Arkani-Hamed, Jafar<br /><b>A coherent model of the crustal magnetic field of Mars</b><br /><i>J. Geophys. Res</i>., Vol. 109, No. E9, E09005<br />10.1029/2004JE002265<br />15 September 2004<br />Abstract

A

alexblackwell

<i>Wilson, Lionel; Ghatan, G.J.; Head, James W., III; Mitchell, Karl L. <br /><b>Mars outflow channels: A reappraisal of the estimation of water flow velocities from water depths, regional slopes, and channel floor properties</b><br />J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 109, No. E9, E09003 <br />10.1029/2004JE002281 <br />10 September 2004 <br />Abstract</i><br /><br />~226 Kb PDF reprint

A

alexblackwell

There's a new preprint available in JGR-Planets in Press, which, I believe, is open to non-subscribers:<br /><br />Stepinski, Tomasz and Collier, Martin — September 2004<br /><b>Extraction of Martian Valley Networks from Digital Topography</b><br />(2004JE002269)<br />PDF [810 KB]

A

alexblackwell

<i>Thanks for the link regarding Stepinski and Collier. It is nice to read what the press release is about.</i><br /><br />While the Stepinski and Collier paper in press with <i>JGR-Planets</i>, the preprint of which I linked to above, is related, the Discovery Channel News release you linked to actually refers to another paper, by Stepinski and Coradetti, which was published online on August 4, 2004 in <i>Geophysical Research Letters</i>. And, if I'm not mistaken, I posted a notice of the latter in this thread back on August 3, 2004.

A

alexblackwell

From the October 2004 issue of <i>Icarus</i>:<br /><br />Seasonal melting of surface water ice condensing in martian gullies<br />Konrad J. Kossacki and Wojciech J. Markiewicz<br /><i>Icarus</i> <b>171</b>, 272-283, (2004)<br />Abstract

A

alexblackwell

Published online today in <i>JGR-Planets</i>:<br /><br />Potts, Laramie V.; von Frese, Ralph R.; Leftwich, Timothy E.; Taylor, Patrick T.; Shum, C. K.; Li, Rongxing<br /><b>Gravity-inferred crustal attributes of visible and buried impact basins on Mars</b><br /><i>J. Geophys. Res</i>., Vol. 109, No. E9, E09009<br />10.1029/2003JE002225<br />22 September 2004<br />Abstract<br /><br />Redmond, Hannah L.; King, Scott D.<br /><b>A numerical study of a mantle plume beneath the Tharsis Rise: Reconciling dynamic uplift and lithospheric support models</b><br /><i>J. Geophys. Res</i>., Vol. 109, No. E9, E09008<br />10.1029/2003JE002228<br />22 September 2004<br />Abstract<br /><br />Feldman, W. C.; Prettyman, T. H.; Maurice, S.; Plaut, J. J.; Bish, D. L.; Vaniman, D. T.; Mellon, M. T.; Metzger, A. E.; Squyres, S. W.; Karunatillake, S.; Boynton, W. V.; Elphic, R. C.; Funsten, H. O.; Lawrence, D. J.; Tokar, R. L.<br /><b>Global distribution of near-surface hydrogen on Mars</b><br /><i>J. Geophys. Res</i>., Vol. 109, No. E9, E09006<br />10.1029/2003JE002160<br />22 September 2004<br />Abstract

Status
Not open for further replies.