Messier Marathon

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tfwthom

OK it's getting to be that time of year again, time to Messier Marathon.<br /><br />The year 2006 will offer an opportunity for the Messier Marathon on the weekend of March 25/26, and a second chance on April 01/02. This time, there is again a good chance to hunt down all 110 objects. <br /><br />The 2006 Messier Marathon will perhaps be one of the last occasions to combine a nine-planet marathon with the Messier event, but Neptune will be extremely difficult if at all possible, Uranus also difficult in the morning. Some comets brighter than about mag 14.0 may be visible.<br /><br />Check with your local astronomy club about their planned event or they might be listed <br /> Messier Marathon Events 2006 <br />(our isn't because I didn't send it in, last year the website was down and I didn't try this year) Sirius Lookers will be holding a marathon both weekends (weather permitting) at our Two Trees site in Coconino National Forest, anyone heading to Sedona is welcome. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1" color="#3366ff">www.siriuslookers.org</font> </div>

N

nevers

I've been watching the radar...I hope he took plenty of libations. Maybe next weekend will be better...

T

tfwthom

You got that right Brad!<br /><br />We got clouded out Saturday (and a few drops of rain) solid clouds till about 00:30AM then opened to mostly cloudy. (I went to bed at 1AM)<br /><br />Friday night was the better night, mostly clear. Geoff Babcock got 105 out of 110 using a 12.5 StarMaster with DSCs. Skies were soft.<br /><br />If the weather co-operates we'll try again next weekend. March 31/April 1/ April 2<br /><br />Friday night (when all but Geoff quit) we partied our way through 8 beers, 1/2 bottle of Irish Whiskey, and one bottle of Irish Cream. (It was cold)<br /><br />Saturday I finished the 4 bottles of beer I had left and between Dennis, Ellen and me we killed a bottle of brandy.<br /><br />Ya know how everytime you go camping you find something else ya didn't need to bring? It was scopes for me this time. I had problems with the camper (both batteries went belly up) by the time I got 2 new ones (20 miles away) and installed them I didn't feel like setting up either the G-11 for the Tak or the LX90. Just played with Ellen's TV85 or Geoff's scope. <br /><br />Saturday I had everything packed before sunset and just relaxed. Geoff and Denise had packed and left about 3PM the skies were so bad. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1" color="#3366ff">www.siriuslookers.org</font> </div>

B

BReif

Weather has been cloudy most of the winter, with the exception of a few evenings. There was one clear evening this past week that I had the scope out, but even though it was clear, the seeing was very bad due to turbulence aloft. Got a few objects though. And Saturn, magnificent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts