My Book - Survival With Style by David Kuzara

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mental_avenger

The TV show “Surviving Disaster” has prompted me to revive a small book I wrote back in 1996, called Survival With Style. I recently updated a few parts of the book, but I still consider it a work in progress. I will include the Introduction to Survival With Style here. If anyone wants to read the full text it can be found on Internet Archive at Survival With Style Just click on HTTP on the left side, then Open the file “SurvivalWithStyleEdit2009.rtf”. Feel free to make comments, suggestions, or critiques here in this thread.

Survival With Style - Preliminary
By David B. Kuzara 1996
With gratitude to Jerry Pournelle for the title and the inspiration for this book.

The concept of survival insinuates that the situation under consideration is potentially very dangerous or life threatening. Therefore, by definition, one cannot 'survive' a minor inconvenience. However, one may wish to complete the experience with as little discomfort as possible. This book covers a wide spectrum of situations, from minor to the most catastrophic. While some concepts covered here may seem extreme, the situations they are designed to deal with are just as extreme and are, after all, quite valid possibilities.

This book is intended to be a guide to survival of a disaster, whether natural or man-made, and not just survival, but, as the title implies, Survival With Style. Survival With Style means not only to make it through a disaster, but to make it through with your civilization intact. Of course all eventualities cannot be anticipated, and you cannot walk around all day with a disaster pack on your back. However, if you are as prepared as is practical, your chances of survival will be much greater. In fact, your preparations need not impact your daily routine at all.

Remember, preparation is not just in the material things we discuss in this book. The packs and supplies are only half of the preparation. The other half is attitude and information. The best disaster pack in the world is useless to someone who gives up before they start or who doesn't know how or when to use the pack at all.
The idea is simple. Prepare for the worst, be informed, accept what happens, and Survive With Style. Remember, no matter where find yourself, there you are. Deal with it.

A

a_lost_packet_

Sweet.

/bookmarked

I'll read it as soon as I get the chance!

J

jim48

Nice to have another author out here! There's an excerpt from my UFO book in The Unexplained. Enjoy!

B

brandbll

I don't know if i saw it, but i don't think i saw anything about carrying a good hatchet and sharpening stone, both are key in survival. Also, might want to mention eating the wrong stuff out in the wild(i.e. random berries and mushrooms) and talk about drinking untreated water. Maybe mention something about gathering water. If your in a flood, there's water all around you but guess what, it's all tainted very badly. However if it's raining you can gather water through that. Just an example.

M

mental_avenger

Those are very good points, thank you. I think I will include a section on tools. One of the appendixes, which I will include later, has a list of everything in my survival pack and a picture of the pack and it’s contents. Another has a list of recommended books.

The knife I carry is a Cold Steel Bowie that weighs just over 17 ounces. The blade is 9 ½ inches long and 5/16 inch thick along the spine. With a knife like that, you don’t really need a hatchet.

Stones suitable for sharpening a knife or an axe can be found almost anywhere, although a small fine stone is always handy. For the lightest sharpening device, I suggest a thin diamond coated aluminum sharpener. The fastest sharpener is a carbide knife sharpener, and my favorite is the Speedy Sharp. A nearby lumber store has had the same one on demo at the counter for at least 10 years. Everyone uses it and it is still as good as new. It sharpens FAST.

J

jim48

My book is still being shopped by my pitbull literary agent in Burbank. How may we purchase a copy of your book, which sounds interesting as hell!

M

mental_avenger

jim48":20hc1im7 said:
My book is still being shopped by my pitbull literary agent in Burbank. How may we purchase a copy of your book, which sounds interesting as hell!
Feel free to download the version located at the link in the OP. It is currently only 12 pages and is incomplete at this point. I have a few sections to write and appendixes to add soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS