Mystery missile caught on video off L.A. coast

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

adrenalynn

Oh my.

I'm sorry, I hate to be "one of those" - but exactly how stupid would one have to be to buy THAT?

A

adrenalynn

My problem isn't the contrail itself. my problem is from the first video that was linked. Watch the contrail's behavior as it's being made, and the appearance of the flight making it.

M

Mee_n_Mac

Whatever it was it wasn't a missile from any of our Navy's surface ships. Nothing they have makes a smoke trail like that. It's way to wide/large. At one point the trail has some resemblance to those left by energy wasting manuvers (spirals) but looking at it closely ... it doesn't look quite right to me. So that effect might be due to winds. The NECN video at the site docm gave was interesting but I can't get an idea of how fast the object is moving. Suffice it to say if it was an SLBM, launched w/o notice (by accident ? HA !) someone will lose their command as a result.

C

cosmictraveler

Couerl":3o9dkxl2 said:
Looks commercial, climbing and coming out of LAX I would guess.

I'd agree. It looks rather strange because of the angle it was taken at. But its just a contrail of a jet like you say, taking off.

A

adrenalynn

If Doc's source is correct, it was Hawaii bound for Phoenix. Nothing to do with LAX.

S

SJQ

cosmictraveler":2p4b1j0m said:
Couerl":2p4b1j0m said:

I'd agree. It looks rather strange because of the angle it was taken at. But its just a contrail of a jet like you say, taking off.

Any jet big enough to be trans-pacific (even just to Alaska, along the western coast) isn't going to leave a single huge cross-section contrail right from the source. The camera angle is bad, and the contrail source is separating from the camera, but I didn't see any evidence of individual engine contrails merging, even from just a twin-jet aircraft. The apparent surface shape of the contrail close to the vehicle emitting it looked way too regular/simple/circular in cross section. It also looked to be way too dense optically to be a simple jet contail: those are essentially hot water vapour condensing (burn a gallon of hydrocarbon, get heat/thrust - and a gallon of water). SRB smoke is visibly different, but it's not water vapour. Further (again, hard to see in this video), but there's usually a gap between the jet exhaust and the contrail formation - the water vapour has to cool through the local dew point to condense and become visible. SRB smoke exists from within the combustion chamber until it's diluted to invisibility in the atmosphere, a process way less dependent on air temperature.

I suppose it might be an aircraft, but contrail-forming conditions don't normally localize to the point where all the other jet traffic in the vicinity doesn't leave contrails; this contrail extended several miles, seemingly over a range of altitudes (another difficulty for the jet contrail theory). LAX is a "bird cage" - where are all the other contrails? The other aircraft don't have to be climbing out of LAX - passing overhead would be sufficient for other contrails if this one was caused by an aircraft "just passing though" as well.

Is the apparent (angular) velocity consistent with an aircraft cruising at altitude? Climbing out? This would require some rigorous TMA to determine.

S

silylene

What REALLY happened...

Almost certainly this missle was launched by the same CIA black ops team that shot down TWA Flight 800 off New Jersey in 1996. The motive was to develop sympathy for Isreal. Fortunately they missed their target this time. This is the same group that dynamited skyscrapers and shot a missle into the Pentagon on 9/11, and tried to make it look like a terrorist attack. We all know better, however.....

Any questions, now that I have explained it all?

;)

A

a_lost_packet_

Can anyone find any video that doesn't have crappy editing cutting in and out and without the pasteboard junk the TV station slapped over it?

"Could" it have been an aircraft? Sure. Was it? I dunno. But, it looked like a fast mover to me and the contrail surely appeared to be evenly lit... for the whole 15 seconds I could make out the image dodging around the screen..

Why people think "Zoom" is some sort of magical problem solver I'll never know...

J

JasonChapman

Re: Mystery Missile Launched Off California Coast

bushwhacker":3dggj1nv said:
I guess the next question would be did anyone track this thing to see where it was going?

Probably, however according to the BBC the Pentagon does not consider the missile to be the result of hostile action. Therefore if Uncle Sam says its no threat then people are most likely to shrug their shoulder knowing that it wasn't an attack.

Nothing to see people move along.

M

MeteorWayne

SJQ":1mo7m363 said:
cosmictraveler":1mo7m363 said:
Couerl":1mo7m363 said:

Any jet big enough to be trans-pacific (even just to Alaska, along the western coast) isn't going to leave a single huge cross-section contrail right from the source. The camera angle is bad, and the contrail source is separating from the camera, but I didn't see any evidence of individual engine contrails merging, even from just a twin-jet aircraft. The apparent surface shape of the contrail close to the vehicle emitting it looked way too regular/simple/circular in cross section. It also looked to be way too dense optically to be a simple jet contail: those are essentially hot water vapour condensing (burn a gallon of hydrocarbon, get heat/thrust - and a gallon of water). SRB smoke is visibly different, but it's not water vapour. Further (again, hard to see in this video), but there's usually a gap between the jet exhaust and the contrail formation - the water vapour has to cool through the local dew point to condense and become visible. SRB smoke exists from within the combustion chamber until it's diluted to invisibility in the atmosphere, a process way less dependent on air temperature.

I suppose it might be an aircraft, but contrail-forming conditions don't normally localize to the point where all the other jet traffic in the vicinity doesn't leave contrails; this contrail extended several miles, seemingly over a range of altitudes (another difficulty for the jet contrail theory). LAX is a "bird cage" - where are all the other contrails? The other aircraft don't have to be climbing out of LAX - passing overhead would be sufficient for other contrails if this one was caused by an aircraft "just passing though" as well.

Is the apparent (angular) velocity consistent with an aircraft cruising at altitude? Climbing out? This would require some rigorous TMA to determine.

As I've said MANY times, 99% of people do not understand the perspective of a 3D world on a 2D sky plane.
If as suggested, this is a Hawaii to Phoenix flight, it is cruising at 25-35,000 feet, not climbing, and coming toward the viewer. It would be well above incoming and outgoing LAX traffic. LAX traffic would not be in the same atmospheric layer (much lower) so might not create contrails at all.

Spend some time watching contrails closely. Sometimes they appear right at the back of the plane, sometimes they form many seconds later. Sometimes they are intermittent. Sometimes they spread rapidly, sometimes they remain pencil thin. Sometimes they spiral. Sometimes they cause shadows on the clouds below, or cause a hole in the clouds as the ice crystals fall through. Sometimes they are only from high aircraft, sometimes low. Sometimes they disappate quickly, somtimes slowly, somtimes they don't, and create a permanent cloud layer. The different behaviours are quite fascinating, I study them a lot!

B

bmk1245

MeteorWayne":of612673 said:
[...] Sometimes they disappate quickly, somtimes slowly, somtimes they don't, and create a permanent cloud layer. The different behaviours are quite fascinating [...]
I concur, thats sometimes really fascinating. I, for once, had seen part of the contrail fading away (almost completely), and after a while (in approx. 5 mins) re-appearing again. Processes in atmosphere could be surprising, indeed.

A

Astro_Robert

Yesterday, I was thinking this had to be a Navy launch, but then I began thinking. We have satelites and other assets that track EVERYTHING. Where it went shouldn't be a mystery. And on the subject of satelites tracking rockets (by their thermal exhaust), why does this one look so different from a Shuttle launch? For Shuttle or other rocket launch there is a think exhaust plume, but it is lit at the top from fires in the combustion chamber. The video of this object shows no such bright ring, leading to the conclusion that there is no hot thermal source on the vehicle, and thus not a rocket.

D

darkmatter4brains

My personal theory is that it was aliens from Omicron Theta 5.

Their anti-gravity propulsion systems don't make contrails, but they artificially produce them, so that we mistake their craft for our own missiles.

D

docm

My problems with this being an inbound Hawaii -> Phoenix flight are -

1. there is only one contrail from horizon to object. I've seen airliner contrails from the horizon towards Toronto (a similar trajectory) at such an angle many times living near Detroit's Metro Airport most of my 61 years, and they always resolved into 2-4 individual tracks as they neared the plane. There is only one track, and AFAIK there are no single engine airliners.

2. there are enough radar stations in that area to microwave Babe The Blue Ox, presumably all with transponder capability, and we know exactly the time and bearings. As such, pinpointing exactly what flight this was should be easy yet there has been no such announcement. All we get is "probably" and "most likely." Bull.

3. a single engine fighter coming inbound could have left a single contrail, but it too should be easily pinpointed via transponders. Just say it was an F-16 or whatever. Silence.

4. anything going to Phoenix should at some point have passed overhead, yet there are no reports of it doing so even with at least 2 observations.

Color me unconvinced that this is as presented.

D

dryson

Experts are calling this a plane and not a missile based upon the contrails. I have watched many planes fly overhead and the contrails do not make the link to a plane as the trails travel more vertically than horizontally.

I know a couple of guys who work for the Army missile command who are TDY this week on the west coast for a missile test. it was probably them. They are at Point Mugu Air Station, the Naval Air Warfare Center. Probably why no one is willing to share any info. all the details surround the event would be classified.

The launch looks like it took place out away from the coastline of California. How far away from the coastline of California is Point Mugu Air Station?

According to Google Earth Point Mugu Air Station is still located on land.

Perhaps the launch came from a Chinese Boomer that snuck into coastal water's fired off a missile turned on their cativation drive and went home.

The real question is did the Navy repsond to the launch by sending ships or planes to the area to investigate? Geosynchronous satellites should have picked the launch up and then triangulated the exact location of the launch unless the Chinese or some other hostile entity towards America has been given detailed operation's information about the scanning areas and operations times of our satellites in which they were able to launch a missile and then depart for their home port.

L

lildreamer

a_lost_packet_":ez3zqa4g said:
Can anyone find any video that doesn't have crappy editing cutting in and out and without the pasteboard junk the TV station slapped over it?

"Could" it have been an aircraft? Sure. Was it? I dunno. But, it looked like a fast mover to me and the contrail surely appeared to be evenly lit... for the whole 15 seconds I could make out the image dodging around the screen..

Why people think "Zoom" is some sort of magical problem solver I'll never know...

well see if this is more to your request....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11723438

its the only decent video I found out there so far - I'm surprised we are not seeing any video comming from cell phones from various locations....

A

a_lost_packet_

lildreamer":2igowvxa said:
well see if this is more to your request....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11723438

its the only decent video I found out there so far - I'm surprised we are not seeing any video comming from cell phones from various locations....

Thanks, that's a much better vid. I'd expect tp see some more cell phone vids coming in as well. Unless, it's actually as the plan-proponents say and this is all just due to a curious coincidence of sunlight, the observation position and water vapor...

M

MeteorWayne

docm":2t1c7k52 said:
My problems with this being an inbound Hawaii -> Phoenix flight are -

1. there is only one contrail from horizon to object. I've seen airliner contrails from the horizon towards Toronto (a similar trajectory) at such an angle many times living near Detroit's Metro Airport most of my 61 years, and they always resolved into 2-4 individual tracks as they neared the plane. There is only one track, and AFAIK there are no single engine airliners.

As I said, as someone who watches contrails a lot (living between EWR, JFK, LGA, PHL, ABE and a half dozen smaller ones) Sometimes they expand, sometimes they contract. Sometimes you see 2 distinct trails from a 2 engine jet, sometimes they merge together so fast the seem as one.

2. there are enough radar stations in that area to microwave Babe The Blue Ox, presumably all with transponder capability, and we know exactly the time and bearings. As such, pinpointing exactly what flight this was should be easy yet there has been no such announcement. All we get is "probably" and "most likely." Bull.
This is a valid point, and the only question in my mind not solved yet.

4. anything going to Phoenix should at some point have passed overhead, yet there are no reports of it doing so even with at least 2 observations.

But everyone would have stopped taping if it moved into a drier layer and the contrail stopped being produced. As it would if it was descending toward Phoenix and left the moist layer. Why keep taping if there's nothing to see?

And another point, NONE of the videos show anything moving at missile velocity. The boost phase of rockets lasts a few minutes at best. I've seen nothing showing such speed. Where are the videos of the rocket closer to the ground?

S

silylene

dryson":ik33nhl8 said:
Experts are calling this a plane and not a missile based upon the contrails. I have watched many planes fly overhead and the contrails do not make .......Perhaps the launch came from a Chinese Boomer that snuck into coastal water's fired off a missile turned on their cativation drive and went home......Chinese or some other hostile entity towards America has been given detailed operation's information about the scanning areas and operations times of our satellites in which they were able to launch a missile and then depart for their home port.

Exactly. Just like what happened to TWA Flight 800 off NJ in 1996. A missle contrail was seen then too. :roll:

C

cosmictraveler

I think it was fart man!

massivefart.jpg

M

MeteorWayne

spacebar18":a3f3ypmx said:
That was a missile 100 %
Why, because you say so? Didn't you read any of the other posts with objections? What's your response?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts