NASA, ESA or any other space agency are as honest as they can be...

Sep 23, 2020
Visit site
Is it natural for an Organization, Company or any person for that matter to share all information?
To me, that would be absurd. Conspiracy, no. Just normal daily life and interaction with one another.

My boy asks me, Santa is real, right? What do I say? -sure, maybe, no one knows.
(I guess I am bad person, but I do know, eventually, he will know, so it is not a big problem)

People, companies, organizations or governments have this "limited window of opportunity" and we use this window to deliver the information most suitable at any given time.
Example, my neighbour doesn't want my life story, because most of it is just a long bla, bla...

NASA, I would imagine has a lot of information that is not shared.
Sharing a lot of bits and pieces could end in a big blur.. scattering the scientific community, it's not very productive.
If NASA come about something that they imagine the public might react strongly to, and demand more answers.
Resulting in some sort of sidetrack of science, and budget problems, all very non-productive.

NASA are mostly scientists, they want to share as much as possible!

Any thoughts?

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
I count myself very lucky in life as made my own way from early on.

Even in my first few (about 6) years out of University (and in those days going to University was a real achievement) I found out about professional jealousy.

My experience in life (sadly) is never expect the truth.

Reactions: IG2007
Sep 21, 2020
Visit site
Thats a good way of putting it. I am reminded that we had those stealth bombers, your know the bug black triangle ones? Yeah we had those during WWII! But they were classified, for obvious reasons. I can imagine there is alot of discoveries NASA has made that perhaps they don't want, say, China to know about for example. Say we discovered little Green Men on Mars. You really think they would tell everyone? Probably not. They would quietly make first contact on their own. Maybe that's what Perseverance is? However, some how I doubt that NASA could keep a secret like the military can.

Anyways, yeah I don't think they are hiding any major secrets, like not having been to the moon. They share more information then other space agencies, so I mean ya gotta givem credit.

Reactions: Ancient One
The hidden player or motive is in play in science.

Assume that practically all scientific publications use the same criteria for judging what they publish. That would mean that they know beforehand what is science and what is not. This also defines science as a social consensus.

Can science create economic, political, or military power? Would controlling science provide benefits to anyone who achieved such control?

Did the Roman’s abuse their economic, political, or military power at the expense of their citizens? Did the average Roman citizen (of the Empire) still believe that they lived in a Republic?

The social consensus is a conspiracy where ordinary peer pressure forces more obedience than Roman legions.

I used a historical context since both governments and tyrannies have become more sophisticated. The game of power has remained exactly the same as in Roman times. Credibility is manufactured, it is not real. You see the powerful as the powerful want to be seen. You see science as the powerful want you to see science.

If science can create power, then of course the powerful are trying to control science.

I am sure there are things NASA or ESA are legally obliged not to reveal - like what they do for and with military agencies, or the proprietary details of contractor supplied technology - but I don't think there is a culture of secrecy or any great discoveries that are suppressed; revealing interesting discoveries is essential to promoting their ongoing existence. A lot more will be available to those who ask.

Is this an especially American kind of fear, of government agencies being secretive and acting unaccountably?

Mar 28, 2021
Visit site
Is it natural for an Organization, Company or any person for that matter to share all information?
To me, that would be absurd. Conspiracy, no. Just normal daily life and interaction with one another.

My boy asks me, Santa is real, right? What do I say? -sure, maybe, no one knows.
(I guess I am bad person, but I do know, eventually, he will know, so it is not a big problem)

People, companies, organizations or governments have this "limited window of opportunity" and we use this window to deliver the information most suitable at any given time.
Example, my neighbour doesn't want my life story, because most of it is just a long bla, bla...

NASA, I would imagine has a lot of information that is not shared.
Sharing a lot of bits and pieces could end in a big blur.. scattering the scientific community, it's not very productive.
If NASA come about something that they imagine the public might react strongly to, and demand more answers.
Resulting in some sort of sidetrack of science, and budget problems, all very non-productive.

NASA are mostly scientists, they want to share as much as possible!

Any thoughts?

I love NASA & our fed. gov., always have & always will. If I can't trust my honest, neighbor with those/top secrets, I/we sure can't trust Russia/China/Iran or my not so above board neighbor, ect., ect... with them. All in all, Americans/the world is very, very lucky to have NASA & our fed. gov. protecting us (often from ourselves/neighbors we know too little about). :O

Go NASA & astronaut u.

Boilermaker (forever)

Latest posts