NASA Mars Atmosphere and Volatile EvolutioN (MAVEN) spacecraft approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

<p><strong><font size="2">The NASA Scout Mission Mars Atmosphere and Volatile EvolutioN (MAVEN) spacecraft has been approved.</font></strong></p><p class="first"><font size="2"><strong><font color="#800000">The US space agency (Nasa) has approved its next orbiter mission to Mars.</font></strong> </font></p><p><font size="2" color="#800000"><strong>The Maven spacecraft will arrive at the Red Planet in late 2014, to study the atmosphere and climate history of Earth's near neighbour. </strong></font></p><p><font size="2" color="#800000"><strong>The satellite will be equipped with eight scientific instruments and will fly low enough on occasions to sam.........&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <font color="#000000">From BBC Science & Technology.</font>&nbsp;</strong></font></p><p><strong><font size="2">Links below.</font></strong></p><p><font size="4">MAVEN @&nbsp;NASA.</font></p><p><font size="4"><a href="http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7618344.stm" target="_blank"><font size="4">MAVEN. BBC article.</font></font></p></a><p><font size="4"><font size="4">MAVEN. LiveScience.com article.</font>&nbsp;<font color="#000000">Written by <strong>Leonard David.</strong></font> </font></p><p><font size="4"><font size="2"><strong>Andrew Brown.</strong></font></font></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080">"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before".</font> <em><strong><font color="#000000">Linda Morabito </font></strong><font color="#800000">on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.</font></em></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://www.launchphotography.com/</font><br /><br /><font size="1" color="#000080">http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://web.me.com/meridianijournal</font></p> </div>

J

JonClarke

<p>MAVEN has had a rocky road so it is good it has been approved.</p><p>Jon</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

J

JonClarke

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Any preditions on what MAVEN would find? <br />Posted by willpittenger</DIV></p><p>As I understand it's designed to neasure exchanges of volatiles between the surface and the atmosphere, loss of volatiles into space, and photochemcil relations tat sort of thing.&nbsp; Not particularly rivitig for me, but important.</p><p>Jon</p><p><br /><br />&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

W

willpittenger

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>As I understand it's designed to neasure exchanges of volatiles between the surface and the atmosphere, loss of volatiles into space, and photochemcil relations tat sort of thing.&nbsp; Not particularly rivitig for me, but important.</p><p>Posted by jonclarke</DIV><br />So what would it find?</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>So what would it find? <br />Posted by willpittenger</DIV><br /><br />It would find exchanges of volatiles between the surface and the atmosphere, loss of volatiles into space, and photochemcal reactions.</p><p>All are important in understanding the current state (and hopefully the history) of the Martian atmosphere</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

W

willpittenger

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>It would find exchanges of volatiles between the surface and the atmosphere, loss of volatiles into space, and photochemcal reactions.All are important in understanding the current state (and hopefully the history) of the Martian atmosphere.</p><p>Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV><br />Maybe you should try English.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Maybe you should try English. <br />Posted by willpittenger</DIV><br /><br />Sorry kid, that's all English, all the time. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'><font color="#ff0000">It would find exchanges of volatiles between the surface and the atmosphere, loss of volatiles into space, and photochemcal reactions.All are important in understanding the current state (and hopefully the history) of the Martian atmosphere <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</font></DIV></p><p><strong><font size="2">Absolutely Wayne, the rate of volatile loss, the composition of the volatiles being lost, ratios of differing volatile loss&nbsp;& the locations of greatest / least volatile loss.</font></strong></p><p><strong><font size="2">This will be a very insightful mission indeed. I wonder if we'll find evidence of outgassing from any of the volcanoes????????????</font></strong></p><p><strong><font size="2">An interesting side mission prior to reaching the final low Polar&nbsp;orbit, could be to see if MAVEN could swing by either or both Phobos & Deimos to attempt to measure volatile loss from either or both.</font></strong></p><p><strong><font size="2">Andrew Brown.</font></strong></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080">"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before".</font> <em><strong><font color="#000000">Linda Morabito </font></strong><font color="#800000">on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.</font></em></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://www.launchphotography.com/</font><br /><br /><font size="1" color="#000080">http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://web.me.com/meridianijournal</font></p> </div>

C

centsworth_II

<font color="#333399"><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>So what would it find? <br /> Posted by willpittenger</DIV></font><br />It would find how fast the molecules (CO2, N2, H20, etc.) are escaping from the top of the Martian atmosphere into space. This information could be used to estimate how thick Mars' atmosphere was in the distant past and how fast it escaped until becoming as thin as it is today.&nbsp; <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>It would find how fast the molecules (CO2, N2, H20, etc.) are escaping from the top of the Martian atmosphere into space. This information could be used to estimate how thick Mars' atmosphere was in the distant past and how fast it escaped until becoming as thin as it is today.&nbsp; <br />Posted by centsworth_II</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;Here's a link to the spacecraft page. Explains the mission in some detail...<br /><br />http://lasp.colorado.edu/maven/docs/MAVEN_fact_sheet.pdf</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts