NASA wants to send humans to Mars in the 2030s − a crewed mission could unlock some of the red planet’s geologic mysteries

While I support the idea of sending humans to Mars for scientific exploration, I am questioning the idea that NASA's SLS is adequate for that task. Even for the Moon missions, the SLS is not even taking a lander - SpaceX (or Blue Origin) has been tasked with getting an orbit-to-surface-and-back taxi waiting in lunar orbit for the Orion capsule to arrive. So, how is the SLS going to get the NASA astronauts from Mars orbit to Mars surface and back? And, how is it going to supply enough consumables for the astronauts to be there for "up to 500 days"? It seems like NASA would need a lot of SLS launches using upper stages that have not yet been even conceptually designed. Will Congress provide the needed funding - this century?

I am thinking that SpaceX is a much more likely source for an actual crewed trip to Mars. But, NASA is probably going to need to pay for crew seats, and may need to pay for getting its astronauts a return vehicle, if SpaceX/Musk are still thinking one-way trips by then.

NASA does seem to be thinking about nuclear thermal propulsion for Earth-to-Mars orbit transfer spacecraft, so that needs to be developed, too. Unless somebody comes up with fusion powered thrusters by then.

Which reminds me, how about a status report on the Pulsar direct fusion drive engine? Their website says "Static tests are to begin in 2024 followed by an In Orbit Demonstration (IOD) of the technology in 2027." Is that still on-track for the tests this year? That could really change the equations for Mars exploration.

Latest posts