Question Not when or where or how but why did the Big Bang happen.

Oct 12, 2024
Visit site
Please forgive me if this question has been asked before and will fully understand if this thread has to be deleted. Its a question ive asked myself for many years, was there a reason for the big bang and if so who or what was responsible. I,m no expert as in from an academic view point was wondering what the experts thought. Thanks.

Welcome to SDC. This question is often asked. The answer is: we do not know and we will probably never know. The reason is we encounter a problem as we go back in time. It occurs at 5.39 x 10^-44 of a second after the Big Bang. At that point, the universe was so tiny, 10^-35 meters, that the temperature was so high, 10^32 K, that the particles each had so much energy they were like tiny individual black holes and thus could not communicate with each other thus could not exchange heat thus have no way of getting hotter, which they would need to do if we tried to imagine the universe any smaller.

As for actual looking, we can only see the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation, which is the surface of the expanding fireball from 380,000 years after the Big Bang. We can't see any earlier than that visibly but maybe some day via gravity waves.

Reactions: dave141b
Oct 12, 2024
Visit site
Welcome to SDC. This question is often asked. The answer is: we do not know and we will probably never know. The reason is we encounter a problem as we go back in time. It occurs at 5.39 x 10^-44 of a second after the Big Bang. At that point, the universe was so tiny, 10^-35 meters, that the temperature was so high, 10^32 K, that the particles each had so much energy they were like tiny individual black holes and thus could not communicate with each other thus could not exchange heat thus have no way of getting hotter, which they would need to do if we tried to imagine the universe any smaller.

As for actual looking, we can only see the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation, which is the surface of the expanding fireball from 380,000 years after the Big Bang. We can't see any earlier than that visibly but maybe some day via gravity waves.
Thanks for the reply i figured its one of those questions that must be impossible to answer hopefully one day we may all know why it happened. Still a fascinating reply to the question once again thankyou.

Reactions: billslugg