NBC's “The Event”, Season Premiere Sept. 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FlatEarth

By the looks of the trailer, this promises to be an interesting program, one that could fill the void left by “Lost”. Although it may turn out not to be science fiction but rather simply a conspiracy thriller, it sure seems to suggest the discovery of alien life or a new intelligent species on Earth.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATlVIei9WNA[/youtube]

S

StarRider1701

I've been seeing this show advertised lately and I too am intrigued. Might have to set it up to tape (I work 2nd shift) and check out the first few episodes.

A

a_lost_packet_

Interesting... It kinda looks like how I'd expect television to handle "Childhood's End." Could that be it? Several people have tried to produce "Childhood's End" and all have stopped production. Could someone have finally taken up the banner again?

L

lildreamer

Don't need another LOST wannabe...was let down after season 2 to the end....(didnt watch everything inbetween)
or another speilberg....TAKEN....

googled Childhood's End
seems intriguing - you might be right the plot seems to follow the way the trailer operates....

getting tired of plot twist within a plot twist within a plot twist - to suprise not so surprised ending...know what i mean....

A

a_lost_packet_

Childhood's End has several plot twists.. big ones. Surprisingly, it takes place on a lot of levels for such a small book. The final end sequence of the book is not something that is really expected. It would certainly count as an overpowering "Event" to beat all others.

But, it's just speculation on my part from seeing the teaser trailer. The image of Childhood's End just kept coming back to me with every "This is not the Event" tease. I'm probably wrong, but I hope I'm not. :)

F

FlatEarth

Childhood's End sounds interesting. I think I'll check it out.

A

a_lost_packet_

FlatEarth":5jgd0dnn said:
Childhood's End sounds interesting. I think I'll check it out.

It's one of Science Fiction's Classic works. It's definitely a necessary inclusion in any sci-fi fan's library.

Note: I just looked it up. There's an updated version that changes some of the story so it doesn't conflict with the Cold War references and present day history. But, I'm not sure if there are any significant changes to the main storyline because of that. I recommend a pre-1990 printing if you can find it at a used book store as that's the only version I've read.

I hope I didn't derail the thread, btw. :) But, since "The Event" is currently unknown and they tease with speculation.. then speculation seems appropriate to me.

F

FlatEarth

a_lost_packet_":3hwkr3o4 said:
It's one of Science Fiction's Classic works. It's definitely a necessary inclusion in any sci-fi fan's library.

Note: I just looked it up. There's an updated version that changes some of the story so it doesn't conflict with the Cold War references and present day history. But, I'm not sure if there are any significant changes to the main storyline because of that. I recommend a pre-1990 printing if you can find it at a used book store as that's the only version I've read.

I hope I didn't derail the thread, btw. :) But, since "The Event" is currently unknown and they tease with speculation.. then speculation seems appropriate to me.
Thanks for the tip. My wife promises to look for it at the library.

Can't really derail a thread about something no one knows anything about!

I do hope “The Event” ends up drawing me in. Right now there are no shows I care about.

While visiting my son in D.C., I used his Netflix online service and I've got to say I was impressed. If you have a media device that talks to the internet via Wi-Fi, like a PS3 and certain blu-ray players, then you can access tons of movies and old TV programs and documentaries to watch on your TV. The interface was pretty good on his PS3. Otherwise, they can be viewed on your computer (which is not my first choice). For 9 bucks a month, I'm giving it a try.

J

JonClarke

Childhood's End is perhaps Clarke's best novel. The ending is... well, you had better read it.

Unfortunately the great visual image at the start of the book has been used by several SF filsdm already, to the extent that it has become cliched. Noty that this has stopped Hollywood before....

Getting back to the film, what is it that reminds people of Choldhood's End? It seems to have only September 11 references?

A

a_lost_packet_

FlatEarth":t2eaingi said:
...While visiting my son in D.C., I used his Netflix online service and I've got to say I was impressed. If you have a media device that talks to the internet via Wi-Fi, like a PS3 and certain blu-ray players, then you can access tons of movies and old TV programs and documentaries to watch on your TV. ..

A friend of mine has it through a wii/xbox/whatever and enjoys it a lot. I don't watch TV much and don't have a next-gen console for Netflix to push through. Eventually, I'll probably do it as my cable provider's selection of free On Demand movies blows.

A

a_lost_packet_

JonClarke":1qqo9ftu said:
...Getting back to the film, what is it that reminds people of Choldhood's End? It seems to have only September 11 references?

For me, it's all of those "This is not the Event" teasers adding up. There's no specific signpost pointing the way to Childhood's End. It's the sum of all the mini-events that lends itself to that conclusion. It's Childhood's End as I envision one way it could be tackled on television - Not a direct adaption from the book.

Each scene, in itself, is nothing special. They're sort of the canned drama archetypes you'd expect. So, how would each scene get pushed further over the drama edge? What would make the series special? Adding aliens, as implied in one scene, won't do it all the way and still make "This is not the Event" ring true. Also, there's the popular "Lost" references, remarks implying a similar type of hook to get viewers chasing shadows and puzzle-games. There's gotta be another level, as in Childhood's End's storyline. In that book, all the drama and puzzle parts were "Not the Event." They just ended up supporting the final revelation.

I'm probably wrong. It's just an idea.

Note: I checked on who has the Rights to it. Currently, there's something in the works by Universal. So, I'm probably wrong that NBC would get the rights for a TV adaption. Childhood's End. But, it is, after all, NBC Universal...

M

Mee_n_Mac

JonClarke":3tavdgd2 said:
It seems to have only September 11 references?

I agree. We have a plane seemingly trying to crash into some party where the Prez is. We have some unknown guy who seems to on that plane and knows he has to get into the cockpit to stop ... something, presumably the aforementioned. I can only hope it's not like Lost where you don't ever find out what the event truely was or why. Given NBC's "inventiveness" I'll guess it's a remake of the movie Millennium. Perhaps combined with Armaggedon, all rolled into 13 weeks of ... crap.

F

FlatEarth

Just giving this thread a bump as the premier date approaches. I just don't want to be the only one here to watch it. ;)

D

docm

a_lost_packet_":2td9v0d3 said:
FlatEarth":2td9v0d3 said:
...While visiting my son in D.C., I used his Netflix online service and I've got to say I was impressed. If you have a media device that talks to the internet via Wi-Fi, like a PS3 and certain blu-ray players, then you can access tons of movies and old TV programs and documentaries to watch on your TV. ..

A friend of mine has it through a wii/xbox/whatever and enjoys it a lot. I don't watch TV much and don't have a next-gen console for Netflix to push through. Eventually, I'll probably do it as my cable provider's selection of free On Demand movies blows.
The newer Sony Bravia DVD decks handle Netflix playback great, though you have to add video's to your playlist via a computer for now. The cheapest Netflix plan that offers streaming is ~$5 IIRC, and they're signing up content licenses like crazy. They can also do Amazon.com and other PPV's, YouTube and stream from storage on your home network. Some are wireless and most have a USB that can handle content on USB keys.

I understand that sometime this fall Sony'll also add Hulu Plus to their 5xx series (at the least), a $9.99/mo service we are testing now (it's in live beta) and is very promising - especially since it's a joint venture of Fox, NBC/Universal and ABC/Disney. Movies, up to date TV content, news etc. etc. Every time we look the selection is larger. Viewable on smartphones too.

They update the firmware regularly, often adding new features, and the user interface is very much like Windows Media Center.

Samsung also makes a lot of streaming BR decks, but IMO the quality, selection and usability is a full step behind the Bravia's.

B

bdewoody

I didn't watch it. I'll wait till the season is over then rent the whole thing on Netflix

A

abq_farside

FlatEarth":1r1xz8oc said:
Just giving this thread a bump as the premier date approaches. I just don't want to be the only one here to watch it. ;)

I watched it. Found it interesting. Lots of time jumps and kind of hard to keep track since we don't know the characters yet.
I will withhold a real opinion until I see a few more episodes. For now, it was enough to get me to watch it again.

S

silylene

I was disappointed. The plot was way too jumpy and garbled with too many cuts back and forth in time. The characters were cardboardish and rather unappealing. Script wasn't very good.

Seems to be an intersection of Lost and Flash Forward, but not as good as either.

I may try to watch one more episode, but I see this one as being cut after just 3 or 4 episodes.

A

abq_farside

silylene":lv88v0l8 said:
I was disappointed. The plot was way too jumpy and garbled with too many cuts back and forth in time. The characters were cardboardish and rather unappealing. Script wasn't very good.

Seems to be an intersection of Lost and Flash Forward, but not as good as either.
I may try to watch one more episode, but I see this one as being cut after just 3 or 4 episodes.

That was kind of my thinking too. But I will give it a chance to expand the characters a bit.

F

FlatEarth

I've got to agree. The preview was more exciting than the show, and if you watched the preview you pretty much saw the show. ;) I'll give it a few more weeks before I give it a thumbs up or down.

D

darkmatter4brains

I personally enjoyed the first episode - but I wasn't expecting much, other than some trite entertainment, so maybe I was easy to please :)

S

silylene

abq_farside":1ol2zrsn said:
silylene":1ol2zrsn said:

That was kind of my thinking too. But I will give it a chance to expand the characters a bit.

About half way through episode 2, I swtiched it off. It was terrible, again, for the same reasons.

D

darkmatter4brains

I personally enjoyed episode 2.

To me, it's basically like the X-files ... well, with a jumpy nature to it.

Nothing original. Typical trite sci-fi entertainment - but, enjoyable to watch.

I don't know - is there really anything all that better on TV anymore? Most programs are trash anyhow :lol:

S

silylene

darkmatter4brains":2wqwm2md said:
I don't know - is there really anything all that better on TV anymore? Most programs are trash anyhow :lol:

Caprica for example, is excellent.

And the new HBO series, Boardwalk Empire, (not SF), is truly excellent.

A

abq_farside

darkmatter4brains":sahowj12 said:
I personally enjoyed episode 2.

I kind of liked it too but still not sold. Right now none of the characters are overly compelling. I don't get the "Guys...where are we " feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts