Need your opinion (First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

frostbrewed

First off: What a great site and from what I've read, some interesting people as well...........<br />I need your opinion on these two telescopes (or any others) One is a reflector, the other a refractor. I have used both but I have never owned a reflector. From what I have read, They are a little harder to maintain than a refractor.............Here is the links .............<br /> http://www.telescope.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=5151&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=09874<br /><br />http://www.telescope.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=1609&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=24544<br /><br />Any comments on image quality or Orion telescopes?<br />Thanks in advance .................Daniel

H

heyscottie

Well, you are giving us a little bit of a hard choice, since they aren't the same price. But if you are willing to spend the bucks, then by all means go with the 10" reflector. Or, you can get an Orion 10" Dobsonian for about the same price as the refractor you mentioned.<br /><br />A lot of it, though, depends on what you want to use the telescope for.<br /><br />Do you want sharp shots of planets and double stars? The refractor may be better (no central obstruction to increase diffraction).<br /><br />Do you want to see the faint fuzzys? The reflector will be better (much bigger aperature).<br /><br />Do you want to do astrophotography? If so, then stay away from the Dob I mentioned!<br /><br />Give us a little more detail about what you want to do with the scope, your level of familiarity with the sky, and your viewing location. Do you live in light-polluted skies, or in the middle of nowhere?<br /><br />We can give much better advice then!<br /><br />Scott<br /><br />By the way, welcome aboard!

F

frostbrewed

Yeah, it is a somewhat wide price range! These are the top line scopes from Orion. I guess my question should have been, Is the reflector worth the extra cash?<br />*I'm more interested in deep space objects since I've been watching the planets for years but for that price, I should get some good views of them as well right?<br />*I will most likely be doing some astrophotography.<br />*No light pollution here in the mountains of Va. My nearest neighbor is two miles away! <br />The Dob is HUGE! but looks a little unstable (hold your breath while you view kinda thing) I bet you could pull in some light with that monster though!<br />.......................................................................Daniel

H

heyscottie

The Dob and the Newtonian reflector are, in fact, the same size -- 10" aperture and 1200 mm focal length. If I'm not mistaken, they use the exact same optical tube assembly. The only difference is the mount (and $700). But if you are doing astrophotography, a Dob is definitely not for you!<br /><br />Of these two you mentioned, I would personally go with the Newtonian reflector. Aperture rules! You should get excellent views of most everything you want with that scope.<br /><br />Good luck! I'll just keep sitting here with my 4.5" reflector... But SOMEDAY, I'll have one like that!

F

frostbrewed

"The Dob and the Newtonian reflector are, in fact, the same size -- "<br />Sorry, I was looking at the wrong Dob........<br />I guess the answer is pretty obvious ........Bigger is usually better in this case..... <br />Thanks guys.......<br />..............................................................Daniel

J

joshbe

I have an Orion Space Probe 130. Tiny compared to what you want to buy. It is incredablly easy to maintain. I still haven't had to collimate it and I've had it for 2 months!! The image quality is excellent, but be sure to let it equalize with outside temperture first.<br />Good luck, and happy shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts