New evidence from Mars Odyssey for ancient Martian oceans

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

paulscottanderson

<p><span style="font-family:Arial" class="Apple-style-span"><span style="font-size:small" class="Apple-style-span">"An international team of scientists who analyzed data from the Gamma Ray Spectrometer onboard NASA's Mars Odyssey reports new evidence for the controversial idea that oceans once covered about a third of ancient Mars."...</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:Arial" class="Apple-style-span"><span style="font-size:small" class="Apple-style-span">http://uanews.org/node/22563</span></span></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="1"><span style="font-weight:bold" class="Apple-style-span">-----------------</span></font></p><p><font size="1"><span style="font-weight:bold" class="Apple-style-span">The Meridiani Journal</span><br />a chronicle of planetary exploration<br />web.me.com/meridianijournal</font> </p> </div>

J

JonClarke

<p>I suspect that there was indeed an ancient ocean, but I must say at the vidence present in this story is a bit stretched.&nbsp; I'll have to wait for the paper to say more.</p><p>Jon</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

P

paulscottanderson

True, always good to wait for the published papers. It was noted in the original MRO article that even more buried ice is in the northern hemisphere, where the putative oceans were. Could these two findings be at all related, or completely separate things? I think the tentative former ocean findings are seemingly just as significant as the buried glaciers, although there seems to be little discussion about it yet in any of the forums. Of course, if the former oceans could be finally confirmed, that would be even more exciting than just more ice! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="1"><span style="font-weight:bold" class="Apple-style-span">-----------------</span></font></p><p><font size="1"><span style="font-weight:bold" class="Apple-style-span">The Meridiani Journal</span><br />a chronicle of planetary exploration<br />web.me.com/meridianijournal</font> </p> </div>

<p>&nbsp;</p><p><strong><font size="2">****** MODERATOR HAT ON ******</font></strong></p><p><strong><font size="2">jim48,</font></strong></p><p><strong><font size="2">Your constant references to Science Fiction, this time War of the Worlds is very annoying in the Science Forums & also very Off Topic.</font></strong></p><p><strong><font size="2">This is also the second time in as many days that I have had to pull you up on this.</font></strong>&nbsp;</p><p><strong><font size="2">I have just deleted your last post.<br /></font></strong></p><p><strong><font size="2">****** MODERATOR HAT OFF ******</font></strong></p><p><font color="#ff0000"><strong><font size="2">Edited: Deleted off topic post by jim48.</font></strong>&nbsp;</font></p><p><strong><font size="2">Andrew Brown. <br /></font></strong></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080">"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before".</font> <em><strong><font color="#000000">Linda Morabito </font></strong><font color="#800000">on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.</font></em></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://www.launchphotography.com/</font><br /><br /><font size="1" color="#000080">http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://web.me.com/meridianijournal</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts