New Firefly movie "Serenity" trailer!

Page 4 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kdavis007

Well the dvd is coming out real soon. Can't wait to buy it...

S

serak_the_preparer

<i>Hey, the Russian version or the Soderbergh remake? I liked both BTW.</i><br /><br />Same here. But I can't help liking Tarkovsky's version more. It's very long, deviates from Lem's original story somewhat, and yet...<br /><br />And yet something about the movie is very true to the story. When watching that version, I feel I am seeing something close to what Lem was trying to show us. (And I say that knowing full well that Lem became so angry over the direction the movie took that he stormed off after calling Tarkovsky something like, 'You stupid head!') The world, the mood, the look - all that matches closely with what I got from the book when I first read it.<br /><br />We can travel as far from home as we like, leaving our planet and even our solar system behind. And it will change nothing. Humans will remain humans. Who must unravel who we are before we can unravel who (or what) any others out there might be. And we cannot separate who are from where we come from.<br /><br /><i>Hmmm, I'll post a review later. I may go see it a second time next week, so I'll perhaps wait till after that happened.</i><br /><br />Perhaps you should buy or rent the DVD? Watch it in the comfort of your own home as many times as you like. Maybe peruse some of the extras (Deleted Scenes; Outtakes; Future History: The Story of Earth That Was; What's In A Firefly; Re-Lighting the Firefly; Joss Whedon Introduction; Feature Commentary with Writer/Director Joss Whedon). And then write that review?<br /><br /><i>Well the dvd is coming out real soon. Can't wait to buy it...</i><br /><br />KDavis007,<br /><br />As ChrisCDC has mentioned, the DVD came out on 20 December. It shot to the top of Amazon.com's DVD bestsellers (i.e., it took and then held the #1 position on their bestseller list). It pulled up the <i>Firefly - The Complete Series</i> DVD set with it as it made its rapid ascent. Both are still doing very well:<br /><br />http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/new</safety_wrapper

H

hracctsold

Re: Firefly,<br /><br />I just wanted to thank all of you who recommended Firefly. I have been watching it on the Sci-Fi channel, and have found it is indeed watchable. Lately I have wanted to express my thanks and find this thread to bring it up again, but someone else has beat me to that. Thanks for that as well.<br /><br />Now about the movie. I haven't rented it yet, but that is coming. hraccts

C

chriscdc

Just to inform everyone in the UK that it is now out in the shops. Got my copy yesterday and my biochemistry write up definitely suffered as a result.

S

serak_the_preparer

So, Kevin, what did you think of the DVD?<br /><br />Me, I'm happy with it. Though Whedon has made it clear there are more places these characters and their story could go, his goal was closure. And if that movie is the end, well, it was a good way to send his Firefly out into the black.<br /><br /><i>Now about the movie. I haven't rented it yet...</i><br /><br />HRaccts,<br /><br />Glad you found the series and have enjoyed it as much as you have. Did you ever get around to the movie? An excellent capstone for an excellent series, a must-see for any <i>Firefly</i>-fan.<br /><br />kpsting,<br /><br />Maybe <i>Solaris</i> is like a lot of other top-quality science fiction and not so easy to render on film? Translating something from one medium to another always ends up being an act of creation. Like you, I think Tarkovsky made something new, and did a very good job of it. Maybe someday there will be a third movie called <i>Solaris</i>, one that is much closer to the book...<br /><br />Chris,<br /><br />I think they call it Reaver Madness. It's said the only known cure is more <i>Serenity</i>. : )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts